Anyone got AIR Loom? Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seems to be reduced to half price ($100) for a very short time. Anyone got it? Comments?

Interested in it for its modular additive approach, but the examples all seem to be in pretty similar 'twinkly' territory, and there's nae feckin demo.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I bought Loom @ full price, I bought Spire at half price. I'll be playing with Loom much more than Spire.
Loom is different and fun, I guess I should read the manual and figure out what the hell it's doing...
I'd certainly be taking advantage of the 1/2 price chance.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

I got it. I have only gone through a few of the featured presets. There are some great sounds in between the dubstep presets, the dubstep ones are really good too.

The morphing is great, so far I really like Loom.

It's a $99.00 synth, but not a $200.00 one.

Here's some things you only find out after the purchase that you should know.

Uses Pace Drivers
They charge you sales tax no matter where you are
they use Digital River and a convoluted way of getting your order
they charge you if need to download it again after 5 days

Anyway, great synth, some great sound design in the presets.

Riley
Asus CM6870 3AB, i7 3770 Ivy, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 7TB Internal, Windows 8 64bit Pro,RME Firface UC, Reaper. Ableton Live 9, Sonar X2, Maschine.

riley4reason wrote: Here's some things you only find out after the purchase that you should know.

Uses Pace Drivers
They charge you sales tax no matter where you are
they use Digital River and a convoluted way of getting your order
they charge you if need to download it again after 5 days
:!:

Which copy protection des it use ?

ilok.

Won't be getting, but man don't I wish they port Transfuer outside PT...

Interesting questions and inputs guys.

And how do you compare it to other additive synths like Razor, Harmor or Alchemy for example?

it's not ilok, it installs pace drivers and microsoft something 2005, didn't catch all of it.

Riley
Asus CM6870 3AB, i7 3770 Ivy, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 7TB Internal, Windows 8 64bit Pro,RME Firface UC, Reaper. Ableton Live 9, Sonar X2, Maschine.

Neon Breath wrote:Interesting questions and inputs guys.

And how do you compare it to other additive synths like Razor, Harmor or Alchemy for example?
It's a lot like Razor.
In Razor, I suppose you would open edit mode to add or subtract modules.

Riley

riley4reason wrote:it's not ilok, it installs pace drivers and microsoft something 2005, didn't catch all of it.

Riley
Does that mean that it can only be installed on one computer?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

riley4reason wrote:it's not ilok, it installs pace drivers and microsoft something 2005, didn't catch all of it.

Riley
It was probably Microsoft Visual C++ 2005.

If it installed any Microsoft software, you'll want to run Windows Update and make sure you're getting the updates to all the Microsoft software installed on your computer.

It's a pain, but you might as well patch the code to keep the plug-in (and Windows itself) stable.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I don't have it, but I have watched a tutorial about it in Groove3 and I was amazed. Very capable synth indeed. You can see the first video for free (introduction):
http://www.groove3.com/str/Loom-Explained.html

It is more than Razor regarding the flexibility of programming. More modules and modulations (there is also a section called Spectral Modulation).
It has a great morphing. You can control the speed of each line! The morphing page can modulate different parameters in the edit page (appears orange color around the knobs/controllers to indicate that and the amount of the modulation)
I don't know how the resynthesis is, but it looks like in Harmor.
It has a vocoder as FX. It seems very nice one.

If I haven't 3 additive synths already, I would buy it now. It definitely worths $100.

EnGee wrote:I don't have it, but I have watched a tutorial about it in Groove3 and I was amazed. Very capable synth indeed. You can see the first video for free (introduction):
http://www.groove3.com/str/Loom-Explained.html

It is more than Razor regarding the flexibility of programming. More modules and modulations (there is also a section called Spectral Modulation).
It has a great morphing. You can control the speed of each line! The morphing page can modulate different parameters in the edit page (appears orange color around the knobs/controllers to indicate that and the amount of the modulation)
I don't know how the resynthesis is, but it looks like in Harmor.
It has a vocoder as FX. It seems very nice one.

If I haven't 3 additive synths already, I would buy it now. It definitely worths $100.
Thanks for the link! Very interesting intro video.

Hmm just realised there's no demo for Loom? Can't find it if there is one… No way I'm going to spend $200 on a thing I can't at least try first few minutes, that's retarted :roll:

I hate dongles too. Especially if they mess around in my windows drivers.

Return to “Instruments”