Anybody with a Plugiator, please help...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I picked a Plugiator up on eBay. I'm really happy with the 3 installed plugins, especially the Minimax--a Moog emulation.

More info here: http://www.use-audio.com/plugiator.htm

Since the plugins are hardware dependent, I understand that registering the hardware as a different user shouldn't be a problem when buying the hardware secondhand.

However, I'm unable to register the hardware online through the use|audio / inDSP server. (Registration will allow me to install the remaining plugins.) I keep getting an error message telling me that the hardware serial number is invalid. However, I have verified (over and over) that the serial number is correct.

I have e-mailed support, but no reply. Does anyone have experience registering the Plugiator?

The included software manager reports the hardware serial number when the Plugiator is connected via USB. Since the software is older, I wonder if Windows 8 is not returning the correct serial number. So, is there a Windows 8 software program out there that will query a USB device for its serial number?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

I have and use plugiator bought secondhand - you shouldn't need to contact anyone to get it working if all synths are already activated to the hardware(*Edit: Sorry this is exactly what you want to do), however plugiator is discontinued and all the software(VST's/Shell etc) are still up on the website. However he did respond to me when I let him know I had bought it.

info@use-audio.com

* Mine came with all synths already, so did not need to do what you are trying to do...

breakmixer: Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. If someone is still managing their server, I'm hoping that I can be helped to register, as the unit I purchased came with a voucher for the full suite of plugins.

When did use|audio respond to you?

smokeyjoe wrote:breakmixer: Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. If someone is still managing their server, I'm hoping that I can be helped to register, as the unit I purchased came with a voucher for the full suite of plugins.

When did use|audio respond to you?
October 2011 was the last correspondence from Ray.

Hey smokeyjoe, did you get anywhere with Use Audio on this? I've just come up against the same issue.

I'd also like to know how this worked out. I've got my plugins in the machine already, but if i go for changing the vocoder plugins again would like to know if it's going to end up badly.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

mkdr wrote:I'd also like to know how this worked out. I've got my plugins in the machine already, but if i go for changing the vocoder plugins again would like to know if it's going to end up badly.
MKDR - do you realise the VST plugins for this are unusable in most hosts, I tested demos of most with it when I had a Cubase 5 high pitched whine. Most DAWS will not even display the GUI's even(or properly).

They work with Reaper(seemingly) and with Cubase 7(still get a high pitched whine 'sometimes' but just mute the channel as it's the VST creating the buzz, not the hardware - joke is it is just an editor.

I'm wondering if you would ever consider(is it even possible?) to make new VST editors for it? Maybe not enough users to make it worthwhile though...?

:wink:

glidepro wrote:Hey smokeyjoe, did you get anywhere with Use Audio on this? I've just come up against the same issue.
+1, did you get any joy?

breakmixer wrote:
mkdr wrote:I'd also like to know how this worked out. I've got my plugins in the machine already, but if i go for changing the vocoder plugins again would like to know if it's going to end up badly.
MKDR - do you realise the VST plugins for this are unusable in most hosts, I tested demos of most with it when I had a Cubase 5 high pitched whine. Most DAWS will not even display the GUI's even(or properly).

They work with Reaper(seemingly) and with Cubase 7(still get a high pitched whine 'sometimes' but just mute the channel as it's the VST creating the buzz, not the hardware - joke is it is just an editor.

I'm wondering if you would ever consider(is it even possible?) to make new VST editors for it? Maybe not enough users to make it worthwhile though...?

Its actually been on my "to do" list for a while now (too long really). Would make using this synth much easier (on the ears too).
After I've got my current projects done I will whip up something for these. The back-end of Plugiator plugs are really simple. No sysex, no nrpn, just plain old CC messages for everything.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

mkdr wrote:
breakmixer wrote:

Its actually been on my "to do" list for a while now (too long really). Would make using this synth much easier (on the ears too).
After I've got my current projects done I will whip up something for these. The back-end of Plugiator plugs are really simple. No sysex, no nrpn, just plain old CC messages for everything.
You also get the scream/whine bug then! :cry: Yes, would be great, I'm not even sure which vocoder is installed on mine/if I'm using the correct plug for it! Yes, some nice new VST Editors for this should give it a new lease of life(Then I'd own more plugins from MKDR - btw the Venom and Mophoed's are stable as hell) :D

Please do it! :oops:

I used to have one a few years ago. I remember that you will need the account-details from the seller. Once you've logged in with this account you will be able to change it to your own.
They even had a online user patch database, which was still updated at that time...

MKDR - do you realise the VST plugins for this are unusable in most hosts, I tested demos of most with it when I had a Cubase 5 high pitched whine. Most DAWS will not even display the GUI's even(or properly)

UseAudio is probably unable to help you, for the simple reason that the Plugiator and the ASX board have been designed by inDSP, the company from Franck Hund (ex Creamware).

The DSP unit sounds very good, most of the plugins are coming from Creamware source code base, so you simply get the Creamware sound, but for a very good price, when you compare the price of Creamware boards and the price of a Plugiator.

However, the software part for computers is simply bad. The plugin manager works almost correctly on a Windows PC under XP, but the Mac version never worked properly for me. The VST integration simply never worked for me, even under Reaper which is very tolerant (the VST integrator requires you to reserve the USB MIDI connection, it can not be used by the sequencer). I finally wrote my own VST interface to be able to use my ASX and Plugiators on my Mac. I offered to UseAudio to give the Mac plugins I wrote... who forwarded my mail to inDSP... who said that all works on Plugiator were stopped :?

But recently, I started to get some unexpected problems with my Plugiator (encoders jumping to random values, buttons bouncing, etc...), and one of my ASX board stopped to work. A quick check on the board, and I saw that the microcontroller was not running anymore... and since it loads the DSP...
But small problem: the ATMega32 is protected, you can not simply remove the faulty one from the board, take its firmware and flash it into a new one :x
More fun? The Flash content itself is protected, so I can not even write a new firmware for the ATMega chip to load the DSP.

Since I consider the product as dead, I start to consider to create a kind of backup kit, with an hardware module which could replace the ATMega and the USB stuff, along with a decent RTP-MIDI support. And maybe go back to the VST plugin code and make one or two more VST interfaces (like what I did with the VSTizers)

No idea what could be the interest from other users for such a "revival" project

breakmixer wrote:
glidepro wrote:Hey smokeyjoe, did you get anywhere with Use Audio on this? I've just come up against the same issue.
+1, did you get any joy?
+2. I bought a Plugiator that AFAIK has never been registered (the Vocoder is not installed). I suspect the problem is with the registration server

achernar wrote:
breakmixer wrote:
+1, did you get any joy?
+2. I bought a Plugiator that AFAIK has never been registered (the Vocoder is not installed). I suspect the problem is with the registration server
I have currently took my Plugiator out of my rig as the vocoder was glitching all my midi - sending constant midi messages every time I had it set to the vocoder, none of the other plugs(minimax etc) did this. I'm going to use Xils Lab V+ instead for that. I have both Vocodizer and Vocodex(?) but because of this server issue cannot swap it back to try the other plugin instead on the hardware. It's a shame, such a good idea but full of bugs and it's now discontinued.

breakmixer wrote:
achernar wrote:
breakmixer wrote:
+1, did you get any joy?
I have currently took my Plugiator out of my rig as the vocoder was glitching all my midi - sending constant midi messages every time I had it set to the vocoder, none of the other plugs(minimax etc) did this. I'm going to use Xils Lab V+ instead for that. I have both Vocodizer and Vocodex(?) but because of this server issue cannot swap it back to try the other plugin instead on the hardware. It's a shame, such a good idea but full of bugs and it's now discontinued.
I don't care much for the vocoder but what I'd really like to do is install the Prodyssey and maybe the Prophet onto it - don't mind buying them but there's no point if I can't even register to get them installed

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”