Fragile Gods - "City of the Dead" (mix tweaked on September 3)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wrote this song pretty quickly but spent a lot of time working on the details. Switching computers and DAWs in the middle slowed things down further. It came out pretty much as I had hoped. Any feedback is appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/fragilegods/city-of-the-dead

The lyrics are on the SoundCloud link.

The cast in order of appearance:

Drumatic 4, SEM V, TAL-U-NO-LX, Diva, Rayblaster

EDIT: On September 3, I did a new mix lowering the vocals in the verses and choruses by roughly 1.5 dB. It's a very minor change.
Last edited by Frantz on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Smells like 80's wave, or electro-Chrome... with a pint of Camembert. Which is quite cool. Vocals are driven to the point when I can only figure out single words, but I'm not really good at it.

Zombie Queen wrote:Smells like 80's wave, or electro-Chrome... with a pint of Camembert.
Yeah, I'm definitely an 80s electro-chrome kind of guy.
Zombie Queen wrote:Vocals are driven to the point when I can only figure out single words, but I'm not really good at it.
I tried to make the words reasonably clear but I may not have succeeded. So I posted the lyrics on SoundCloud.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cool Industrial-sounding tune. Great-sounding synths. I like the clarity, even though it's kinda grungy. I like the vocal sound best of all. Suitably evil.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Ah Frantz, you did not disappoint! 2 big thumbs up :tu: :tu:
being a huge fan of 80's darkwave/industrial bands like Ministry
and skinny puppy, this had my toes happily tapping along.

technical wise, no complaints! vocals, stage, mix, all good
on this end, gooooood job! :clap: :phones:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

The first thing that struck me (literally) was that slamming bass and kick/snare combo. I still haven't had the opportunity to use Drumatic 4 on a track yet, but I'm definitely making plans to do so.

Great synth sounds again. I liked the lyrics and thought that they were clearly audible. I liked the sung chorus. You sounded a little like Alex Harvey there. The mix is great too. This was a very enjoyable track.

Good work :)

Nice! I like the sound of it and the dark 80's vibe :)

2 small problems imho.
1) The vocals are mixed too high. They would blend with the rest of the mix better if they were a little bit more on the back
2) The panning is sometimes extreme, making it tiresome to listen to with headphones.

But overall, I really dig it.

Ooops wrote:Nice! I like the sound of it and the dark 80's vibe :)

2 small problems imho.
1) The vocals are mixed too high. They would blend with the rest of the mix better if they were a little bit more on the back
2) The panning is sometimes extreme, making it tiresome to listen to with headphones.

But overall, I really dig it.
I agree, more with the second point than the first. It definitely achieves the gritty vibe it's going for, though. The delay effect on the vocals at the end of the chorus was oh so tasty.

Moe Shinola wrote:Cool Industrial-sounding tune. Great-sounding synths. I like the clarity, even though it's kinda grungy. I like the vocal sound best of all. Suitably evil.
Thanks for the feedback Moe. Clear, grungy, and evil. Mission accomplished! :D

I'm glad you liked the vocal sound. It is challenge to find something that works given my limited abilities in that department. I spent a lot of time fiddling around with various effects trying to find the right combination.

layzer wrote:Ah Frantz, you did not disappoint! 2 big thumbs up :tu: :tu:
being a huge fan of 80's darkwave/industrial bands like Ministry
and skinny puppy, this had my toes happily tapping along.
Thanks, very glad you enjoyed it! I'm gonna keep doing my darkwave/industrial thing even if it is out of fashion. Maybe I should call it DarkStep so the kids'll dig it. :)
layzer wrote:technical wise, no complaints! vocals, stage, mix, all good
on this end, gooooood job! :clap: :phones:
:wheee: Great! I worked hard on the mix including half a day on just reducing sibilance. I'm pleased that it passed the official Layzer Test.

Wow, my fave of yours for sure. You've nailed the vocal treatment here methinks, and the instrumentation and arrangement are tasteful and super catchy. Very nice work! 8)
Image Image

seismic1 wrote:The first thing that struck me (literally) was that slamming bass and kick/snare combo. I still haven't had the opportunity to use Drumatic 4 on a track yet, but I'm definitely making plans to do so.
The Drumatic 4 part is pretty minimal here although its sounds are very crisp and efficient. A lot that energy is coming from the dual SEM V basslines panned left and right.

It's quick and easy to make all kinds of percussive sounds with Drumatic. I am probably going to feature some metallic and white noise percussion sounds next time. There wasn't room to squeeze them in on this track.
seismic1 wrote: Great synth sounds again. I liked the lyrics and thought that they were clearly audible. I liked the sung chorus. You sounded a little like Alex Harvey there. The mix is great too. This was a very enjoyable track.
Thanks for confirming that you can hear the words. :tu:

It's funny that you mentioned that you liked the sung chorus. My brother also liked the chorus a lot. Maybe I should do more of that kind of singing in the future. :singer: :?:

Glad to hear that you liked the lyrics, synth sounds, mix, etc. It's great to finally be on an i7 PC and not be so CPU constrained. The track would have sounded much thinner on my old PC. My tracks will probably sound better from here on out.

I appreciate the helpful feedback. :)

I liked it.
Good job all around.
Although one could think of many '80s tunes that are structured in similar fashion, Eurythmics - Sex Crime slowed down a bunch hit me right off. :)

The drums and rhythmic seqing is where the similarities stopped.

Good tune and production.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Nice recording here Frantz...all the lements are nice and clear no mud....how do you do that? like that mean moog ish bass.....nice sequencing too....

...parden me sill you please? I have an appointment in THE city of the Dead!!!!!!

HHHHHHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPP!!!!!!!! :cry:

Fun track. Made me smile and also made me want to do the robot. Very crisp sounding and I especially liked the vocals during the verses. I thought they were quite clear too.

Return to “Music Cafe”