The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

ThomasHelzle wrote:
The Mantra wrote:Here's a tough one :help:

I understand that Bitwig has VST3. Does it support the "VST expression" like Cubase?

Specifically, I own Halion Sonic and want to know if I will be able to edit instrument articulations in the automation lane like you can in Cubase.

If VST expression is not explicitly supported, is there any way to manually map articulations to Bitwigs per note automation with VST3 plugins?
If this is the case I might consider finally cashing in on that Halion symphonic orchestra coupon I got from Cubase 5.

I realize that it's unlikely that a beta tester would coincidentally have VST expression compatible plugins, but I figured i would go ahead and ask.

Shout out to Tom and all the beta testers for being so patient and generous. :D
That's what I thought as well, but I got confirmation today that Bitwig 1.0 initially only comes with VST 2.4 support.
The Note-Expression/Microediting was developed independently from VST 3.5 (and actually before the latter came out) for the internal synths.

Sorry if I should have created a different impression before.

Cheers,

Tom

So is there then no way for synth developers to make their own synths work with Bitwig note-expression?

pdxindy wrote:
So is there then no way for synth developers to make their own synths work with Bitwig note-expression?
They said something about it on the FB page, but they also said that developers could do the same using midi (IIRC).

pdxindy wrote:So is there then no way for synth developers to make their own synths work with Bitwig note-expression?
There actually seems to be an option - that was one of my questions as well.

Interested Developers should contact Bitwig directly, I don't know how it works though, other than that it uses standard Midi somehow.

Ben, any insights you might share on this? ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote: Bitwig 1.0 initially only comes with VST 2.4 support.
The Note-Expression/Microediting was developed independently from VST 3.5 (and actually before the latter came out) for the internal synths.

Cheers,

Tom
No need to apologize.
I think that impression stems from the thumbnail on the bitwig web-sight for plugin support having the "VST3" emblem on it. Also if you search Bitwig on KVR its listed as VST3. Ppl on the REAPER for forums seem to think its VST3 as well.

Well it looks like VST expression will never be widely adopted since Cubase is the only major daw that uses it. I was hoping that Bitwig and Cubase could maybe pressure Live and Studio One to adopt VST expression and thus pressuring NI to support VST expression with Kontakt. :love:
pdxindy wrote: So is there then no way for synth developers to make their own synths work with Bitwig note-expression?
I would like to see some "live pack" style acoustic librarys with note expression/articulation available eventually for Bitwig.

I also have a feeling that we may be able to do it our selves when the modular system opens up.
*crosses fingers*

pc999 wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
They said something about it on the FB page, but they also said that developers could do the same using midi (IIRC).
What did they say on the Facebook page?

ThomasHelzle wrote:
pdxindy wrote:So is there then no way for synth developers to make their own synths work with Bitwig note-expression?
There actually seems to be an option - that was one of my questions as well.

Interested Developers should contact Bitwig directly, I don't know how it works though, other than that it uses standard Midi somehow.

Ben, any insights you might share on this? ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
Hmmm... If it is midi, perhaps it is using multiple midi channels quietly behind the scenes?

The Mantra wrote:

Cheers,

Tom
No need to apologize.
I think that impression stems from the thumbnail on the bitwig web-sight for plugin support having the "VST3" emblem on it. Also if you search Bitwig on KVR its listed as VST3. Ppl on the REAPER for forums seem to think its VST3 as well.

Well it looks like VST expression will never be widely adopted since Cubase is the only major daw that uses it. I was hoping that Bitwig and Cubase could maybe pressure Live and Studio One to adopt VST expression and thus pressuring NI to support VST expression with Kontakt. :love:
pdxindy wrote: So is there then no way for synth developers to make their own synths work with Bitwig note-expression?
I would like to see some "live pack" style acoustic librarys with note expression/articulation available eventually for Bitwig.

I also have a feeling that we may be able to do it our selves when the modular system opens up.
*crosses fingers*
I read the long thread about VST3 on the developer forum recently and got the impression that it is quite a pain for Developers with almost no gain. But Note Expression in 3.5 is an actually cool feature, so I guess things like that will sooner or later trickle into the DAW and Plugin world - at least if Steinberg starts to listen to the developers instead of alienating them as it seems they did so far.

I guess modulating parameters for each sounding voice is also a performance thing or at least harder to implement?

Well, time will tell, but I look forward to this development.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

The Mantra wrote:

Cheers,

Tom
No need to apologize.

*crosses fingers*
I want note expression working with Diva... and Bazille :love:

ThomasHelzle wrote: I read the long thread about VST3 on the developer forum recently and got the impression that it is quite a pain for Developers with almost no gain. But Note Expression in 3.5 is an actually cool feature, so I guess things like that will sooner or later trickle into the DAW and Plugin world - at least if Steinberg starts to listen to the developers instead of alienating them as it seems they did so far.

I guess modulating parameters for each sounding voice is also a performance thing or at least harder to implement?

Well, time will tell, but I look forward to this development.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

With Bitwig's internal note expression, does it only work via editing? or are there any performance options too?

pdxindy wrote:I want note expression working with Diva... and Bazille :love:
Me too :-)

Tom

pdxindy wrote:Hi Tom,

With Bitwig's internal note expression, does it only work via editing? or are there any performance options too?
Hm - good question. I really don't know.
How would that work? Poly AT is the only Midi Controller I know that actually is per note (or at least per key) but how would you address the notes in a performance individually?

I dream of a polyhonic AT controller but so far I only have an ages old Döpfer LMK3 with rather funny channel AT (Piezo based, so self-releasing over time :roll: but it's the only keyboard I ever liked :shrug: :) )...

Cheers,

Tom

So does BW support poly AT when playing? If so definitely interested in trying it with the push since with pxt-generic you can enable poly-AT output

ezelkow1 wrote:So does BW support poly AT when playing? If so definitely interested in trying it with the push since with pxt-generic you can enable poly-AT output
:shrug: I have no way to test it I fear.

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Hi Tom,

Hm - good question. I really don't know.
How would that work? Poly AT is the only Midi Controller I know that actually is per note (or at least per key) but how would you address the notes in a performance individually?

I dream of a polyhonic AT controller but so far I only have an ages old Döpfer LMK3 with rather funny channel AT (Piezo based, so self-releasing over time :roll: but it's the only keyboard I ever liked :shrug: :) )...

Cheers,

Tom
Pitchbend could optionally work for only the last played note... for example...

there could also be some clever polyphonic portamento modes...

stuff like that is possible without an actual PolyAT controller

ezelkow1 wrote:So does BW support poly AT when playing? If so definitely interested in trying it with the push since with pxt-generic you can enable poly-AT output
That is a big question... I so wish PolyAT was supported in Live cause I got Push!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”