Rainbows Not Enough [It All Goes Dark] - DnB/Rock'n'Bass/Drumstep -Feedback Sought

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there, it's been a while but I'd love feedback on this:

http://ia601900.us.archive.org/19/items ... LIP%5D.mp3

Note: that's just a 3:54 minute clip of a longer tune. I'm curious to know what you think of it though, and what direction (if any) you'd take it from the point at which i fade out the clip.

It's building to something. What should it be?
https://soundcloud.com/jordana-1/rainbo ... ugh-it-all
:)

I'm definitely not a fan of dubstep as a genre, but I'm getting more and more into dnb lately and I like the way you've fused the two here. The acoustic guitar in the breakdown was pretty tasty. Nice work.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:I'm definitely not a fan of dubstep as a genre, but I'm getting more and more into dnb lately and I like the way you've fused the two here. The acoustic guitar in the breakdown was pretty tasty. Nice work.
Thanks SO much for listening and giving me feedback.

I took a long break from this music (drum and bass) and electronic music in general so when I decided to go back and make another DnB EP I decided to put more of my rock identity in it. So acoustic guitar, electric guitar and my vocals were going to appear in my new DnB.

I love to mix the organic with the synthetic.

You'll be happy to know that I hate dubstep. Though i do like some dubstep elements in non-dubstep contexts. That's what one of the comments on the Soundcloud clip said: "Now THIS is how you use wobbles, they should never be the whole basis of a song."

to which i happily agreed.

Lady J wrote: I took a long break from this music (drum and bass) and electronic music in general so when I decided to go back and make another DnB EP I decided to put more of my rock identity in it. So acoustic guitar, electric guitar and my vocals were going to appear in my new DnB.
I'm listening to more of your tracks now and I really like your style. I'll definitely be on the lookout for that EP!
Lady J wrote:I love to mix the organic with the synthetic.
Ditto. :tu:
Lady J wrote: You'll be happy to know that I hate dubstep. Though i do like some dubstep elements in non-dubstep contexts. That's what one of the comments on the Soundcloud clip said: "Now THIS is how you use wobbles, they should never be the whole basis of a song."

That pretty much sums up my feelings on dubstep. The individual elements are nice, but when it's non-stop, it gets overbearing very quickly. Like that time when you were a kid and you ate an entire chocolate cake, got sick, then never wanted chocolate cake again......or maybe I'm the only one who did that. :roll:
Last edited by cryophonik on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

very interesting tune. there's a ton of stuff going on here but it's presented in a way that prevents it from sounding overcooked. the mix is diamond sharp (as it should be for this genre) and a very enjoyable listen.
as to where to take it...well DnB really isn't my genre so i haven't a clue :)
great stuff.

neil.

A lot of styles and sampled elements in one track ;) It's a bit like a mixtrack, so I'm not sure.
I would split the styles more to different own songs and mix them with some smooth transitions so it sounds like one big mix. It sounds a bit (could be wrong) if you merged only pre-recorded stuff (ready to use samples from libraries)?
I miss a bit a own style, something that sounds more unique (like you) :)

Nice mix, Jo(e)rdana!

I like that you have much variety in your mix, and the transitions are good, too. In Germany there are still guys (and gals) with big studios who make the same dubstep-wobble-bass over 3.40 minutes. Which sounds pretty boring!

4damind wrote:It sounds a bit (could be wrong) if you merged only pre-recorded stuff (ready to use samples from libraries)?
I agree. It sounds like a lot of ready-made elements combined. Sort of a DJ approach to creating music which is fine but doesn't interest me.

Frantz wrote:
I agree. It sounds like a lot of ready-made elements combined.
i couldn't disagree more.

macmurphy wrote:i couldn't disagree more.
:o A strong reaction. Perhaps Lady J will tell us if she used loops/samples from a library.

Frantz wrote:
macmurphy wrote:i couldn't disagree more.
:o A strong reaction. Perhaps Lady J will tell us if she used loops/samples from a library.
i don't think it particularly matters.

macmurphy wrote:i don't think it particularly matters.
I said I thought she is using a lot of ready-made elements. You strongly disagreed to that which implies that you think she is generating most of the musical elements herself. But you also say it doesn't matter if she is using ready-made elements. I am not following your argument.

Frantz wrote:
macmurphy wrote:i don't think it particularly matters.
I said I thought she is using a lot of ready-made elements. You strongly disagreed to that which implies that you think she is generating most of the musical elements herself. But you also say it doesn't matter if she is using ready-made elements. I am not following your argument.
sorry. i got myself a bit confused (something all too common at the moment). what i should have said is i don't care how it was made.

macmurphy wrote:sorry. i got myself a bit confused (something all too common at the moment). what i should have said is i don't care how it was made.
Fair enough. Using libraries, samples, and loops is a valid approach.

I spent hours on Saturday night playing hi hats on the keyboard. The results were not as good as the patterns in a professional library but, for me, the handmade thing is important.

Frantz wrote: for me, the handmade thing is important.
in my own music it's of importance too. with some styles though it just works.

Return to “Music Cafe”