Cubase 7 instrument track

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok..i remember this being talked since "instrument track" has arrived. It was years ago. I never updated to version 7 really, now testing it, but can anyone confirm.?

Cubase 7 instrument track still doesn't have multiple out ? :-o Or this is demo limitation ?

I get the thing when loading VST instrument from VST panel, enabling or disabling multiple out etc. But "instrument track" was introduced (as far as i can remember) to make everything more simpler., Automation, arrange etc.etc. all under one channel. Which is great. But problem is that for example Battery or Reaktor or any other multiple out VSTi can't be utilized fully within instrument track when there's not multiple out inside of instrument track.

I am reading manual but yet i can't see nothing. I remember back then, admin of Steinberg forum (i think he was called Chris or something) reported that this feature (multiple out for instrument track) is on their to do list. Because a lot of people asked.

So is it there and i can't find it? Maybe because i am using demo?

no because of demo it's just that instrument tracks are limited to 1 stereo out till today.

sebaden wrote:no because of demo it's just that instrument tracks are limited to 1 stereo out till today.
Awwwwww :cry:

pg 256 of the manual, 'Restrictions' [of Instrument Tracks]:

Due to there being only one volume and pan control for the instrument track, the Mute button will mute the complete track including the VST instrument. (As opposed to a MIDI track with an assigned VST instrument, for which muting the MIDI track still allows you to monitor and record the VST instrument.)
• Instrument tracks always have one stereo output channel only. This means that VST instruments that do not provide a stereo output as their first output channel cannot be used with instrument tracks, and must be loaded via the VST Instruments window.
• Due to the limitation to one output channel, instrument tracks play only the first voice of a multi-timbral VST instrument. If you want to use all voices, you have to load the instrument via the VST Instruments window and set up a MIDI channel to play it.

So, no, it does not do multiple outs at all.

"Instrument Tracks" whole deal is track = the one sound, for convenience. you want 'Instrument Channels' from instantiating via 'VST Instruments' [@F11].

It doesn't make any sense for them to add that since it's already present in the normal way.

jancivil wrote:pg 256 of the manual, 'Restrictions' [of Instrument Tracks]:

Due to there being only one volume and pan control for the instrument track, the Mute button will mute the complete track including the VST instrument. (As opposed to a MIDI track with an assigned VST instrument, for which muting the MIDI track still allows you to monitor and record the VST instrument.)
• Instrument tracks always have one stereo output channel only. This means that VST instruments that do not provide a stereo output as their first output channel cannot be used with instrument tracks, and must be loaded via the VST Instruments window.
• Due to the limitation to one output channel, instrument tracks play only the first voice of a multi-timbral VST instrument. If you want to use all voices, you have to load the instrument via the VST Instruments window and set up a MIDI channel to play it.

So, no, it does not do multiple outs at all.

"Instrument Tracks" whole deal is track = the one sound, for convenience. you want 'Instrument Channels' from instantiating via 'VST Instruments' [@F11].

It doesn't make any sense for them to add that since it's already present in the normal way.
Don't bs. Please.

It is far easier to have everything under one track (automation data and so on), which was purpose of instrument track. I am not the only one suggesting that, actually on old forum gazillion of people ASKED for it and they said it's on to do.

I am aware of f11, being using it for years and years and - it's not the same

I'm bullshitting? I read the f**king manual for you FFS. I didn't need to know this; I saw someone say it was a restriction of the demo and I doubted it. Went out of my way to look it up for your ass. And you're welcome!

It's obviously not the same. IF YOU WANT TO HAVE THE MULTIPLE OUTS USE INSTRUMENT CHANNELS VIA VST INSTRUMENTS. This fact was available to you in the manual on that page. There is the fact, bullshit-free. I don't think it makes sense to make it more like a regular instantiation. I suppose people that look at things differently than you are bullshitting. :roll:

No worries, I won't be doing your research for you in future.

I think it's much harder to do in Cubase's current architecture than most realize, or they'd probably have done it already. It's a long time FR.

The instrument track appears to be an inline audio track "container" for the instrument instance. Now consider say, Reaper, who's instruments insert "inline" that way by default. In order to get multi-outs from that track in Reaper you have to "send" each individual part out of the track to another track, and Cubase has no such facility like Reaper, who's audio tracks have up to (I think) 64 internal channels and unlimited sends per channel.

So if you have an instrument inserted "inline" like that in a Cubase audio track container, the instrument track, where would the additional "pin outs" for the additional instrument audio outputs go? Seems like the audio track container itself would have to be multichannel and because it's still only one track, it would still have to route those to something else to split them up.

Probably why they haven't done it yet, because it's probably not all that easy with the current architecture.

Yep, one of the things I really miss coming from Sonar was the ability to just arbitrarily split an Instrument track into its composite MIDI and Audio tracks (and pop the VSTi in the rack). Usually it's a situation where I thought I'd only need one Kontakt instance and ending up going the multi timbral route. Given Steinberg are usually pretty good about these usability issues, there must be a serious architectural reason it's taking so long to appear ( if it does at all )

jancivil wrote:I'm bullshitting? I read the f**king manual for you FFS. I didn't need to know this; I saw someone say it was a restriction of the demo and I doubted it. Went out of my way to look it up for your ass. And you're welcome!

It's obviously not the same. IF YOU WANT TO HAVE THE MULTIPLE OUTS USE INSTRUMENT CHANNELS VIA VST INSTRUMENTS. This fact was available to you in the manual on that page. There is the fact, bullshit-free. I don't think it makes sense to make it more like a regular instantiation. I suppose people that look at things differently than you are bullshitting. :roll:

No worries, I won't be doing your research for you in future.
I did not wanted to sound so harsh as it turned out. I was angry toward C7 not you, but it doesn't look like that sorry for that. I read manual every time before i post anything. Sorry again.

Like i said using older Cubase for quite some time. Whole thing is just a moot point but not a show stopper.

I think i won't update. I've found issues at their forum. Issues with external instruments. Anyway thanks.

i am stunned this feature is not implimented in cubase ( i haven't tried 7 but it looks as though the problem remains. it is a royak pain in the ass to not be able to creat additional outputs other than assigning them by loading the plugin into the VST Instruments panel beforehand).. It seems a very trivial matter, but, when you are trying to find the smoothest and most rapid workflow in your DAW, it actually amounts to a lot of unecessary frustration.
i tried Presonus ( which, as i understand it was built by folks who worked for steinberg originally) and it is easy and sweet as to just right click and add outputs as you need them..
anyway, slight rant, sorry. but the devil is very much in the details when it comes to DAWs.. imho : )

it is implemented, you can have instrument track with multi out in cubase 7 (7.5)

7.5 Instrument tracks can now be multi-out and saved as track presets.

Code: Select all

Instrument (t)rack 2.0

By fusing the VST Instruments Rack with the instrument track concept, Cubase 7.5 makes working with instruments easier, quicker and more transparent than ever before. Instrument tracks now boast multiple audio outputs for any instrument, and can also be fed by any MIDI track on any channel. Inserting a new instrument into the rack is reflected within the Project window by creating the corresponding instrument track automatically and vice versa. The new Instrument Rack introduces VST Quick Controls for each instrument, letting you modify instruments and sounds even quicker — without even opening their GUI. Best of all, you can now assign each instrument a meaningful name for better identification of its MIDI ports and audio return channels.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

budweiser beat me by 3 seconds lol

^^ Yeah ! :hihi: :party:
The "rec" button is still lackin on these outs, however.

yes, but you can use VST Connections to fix that.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”