HoRNet SW34EQ analog modeled equalizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HoRNet SW34EQ

Just bought without even stopping to read what it was. Can't wait to try it.

The HoRNet SW34EQ is an equalizer coming straight from the 80s. It's the digital version of the EQ found in an American console and it features the typical analog EQ sound and controls.

This plugin is specifically modeled after one channel of this console used in the main room of Virus Studio, here in Siena, Italy. This EQ is very smooth and gentle, both in the EQ shapes (bells and shelves) and it's almost perfect for general tone shaping, especially the low shelf gives weight to the sound without pumping it too much.

You also get an high-pass filter at 40Hz with 18dB/oct slope that can be activated even if the rest of the EQ is not.

Complete analog emulation
The SW34EQ does not just model the EQ curves but also the saturation characteristics of the original device, we are talking about an 80s console here so there are op-amp everywhere in the signal path and the saturation mainly produces even harmonics, but as you crank the gain a lot of odd harmonics jumps out. Of course the hiss is modeled too and the whole emulation can be deactivated.

We also tried to emulate the workflow of the EQ and we put the frequency and gain knob on the same axis, the only indication of the current frequency for every band is on the outer of the knob, while there is no explicit gain indication for the gain knob, you only know that at maximum you have +/- 15dB of gain or reduction. This is for hardcore mixers who use their ears and nothing else to get the job done.

Copy protection
The HoRNet SW34EQ has no copy protection, I don't believe in copy protection, they are always cracked and they are annoying for the users, we all know you are not going to give away the plugin on the internet...

So simply download the plugin and enjoy your recordings!

http://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-sw34eq/

Looks nice. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I am a fan of Saverio's other plugins so I will be getting this one soon! :D

Hm... name of the plugin gave it away, still had to look it up though. The "Virus Studio" lists in their Studio A the so called "Otari Soundworkshop 34b Series" mix console.

Quick google search revealed, that these console designs were created by API designers and later even further enhanced with the SW54. Now this is definitely an interesting change of pace.

So far we only had an overload of NEVE and SSL, sometimes API. With some stray cats like ADT (SKnote), Trident A and certain non existing-anymore clones like Harrison (unless you go "Mixbus" and UAD), though now also TG/EMI, Abbey Road - and of course stand alone stuff like Pultec and ANTEC.

17,99EUR - killer price for such a "rare" console channel strip.

Though I miss one essential thing, which seems to be all the rage about this console. From pictures of the channel strip I've seen, it seems like you can change the saturation behavior from Odd to Even Harmonics?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hi, I'm dropping in just to make clear some points

This plugin aims to model the EQ section of the console and not the entire channelstrip, we tried to isolate the EQ specific saturation characteristics while measuring the channel (it was thee number 21 just out of curiosity :) )

I did this because Alessandro, the owner of the studio, wanted to have a realistic emulation of his console EQ inside his protools rig.

While measuring the saturation of the eq we found that it's very clean and has a very low distortion made by even harmonics, until you reach +6VU where it also starts to exhibit odd harmonics that grow very quickly increasing the gain.

but the real challenge was to try to keep phase rotations at minimum since the original design it's a wien bridge eq it has smooth phase changes in the filters, and of course the gain is not constant across the frequency range, the high shelf for instance only has 12 of the 15db stated at 15K

there are other peculiarities, but i'll let you discover them if you want :)

Saverio

A couple of technical things still...

What reference level are we talking about? Just to know where the 0dB on the LED meter is locked to.

And... are there maybe plans to implement the even/odd knob from the console? You seem to have a plain mic pre ported already. I don't know at this point how much influence this knob would have.

Also... is there crosstalk involved? If you measured a mono channel, there shouldn't be. Stereo is a different topic. But if we have control over that (turning it on or off at will). This might please some "noise and realism" enthusiasts, while I as engineer have flexibility of the behavior of this tool.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I just bought MultiComp last week with the Black Friday sale, and once I got the email for this, I bought it immediately, no demo, dont need one.

Love these Italian plugins :)

Compyfox wrote:A couple of technical things still...
What reference level are we talking about? Just to know where the 0dB on the LED meter is locked to.
The meters in my analog plugins are always calibrated to -18dBFS (a de facto standard)
Compyfox wrote: And... are there maybe plans to implement the even/odd knob from the console? You seem to have a plain mic pre ported already. I don't know at this point how much influence this knob would have.
We haven't talked about it but we can consider it, i don't think it's something very hard to do...anyway there isn't any mic pre emulation in this plugin, the input and output knobs are just plain signal multiplication without any voodoo in them :)
Compyfox wrote: Also... is there crosstalk involved? If you measured a mono channel, there shouldn't be. Stereo is a different topic. But if we have control over that (turning it on or off at will). This might please some "noise and realism" enthusiasts, while I as engineer have flexibility of the behavior of this tool.
No crosstalk involved, we measured a mono channel and of course our aim wasn't to model the behavior of the whole console but just the EQ module, honestly i haven't worked on those consoles, but Alessandro has a lot of experience with it, so i can ask him if he think there is some other aspect that it's worth modeling!

Saverio

itneveris wrote:I just bought MultiComp last week with the Black Friday sale, and once I got the email for this, I bought it immediately, no demo, dont need one.

Love these Italian plugins :)
Thank you very much for your support!

Saverio

EcHo2K wrote:The meters in my analog plugins are always calibrated to -18dBFS (a de facto standard)
That is good to know - easier to implement for Gain Staging wizards.

EcHo2K wrote:We haven't talked about it but we can consider it, i don't think it's something very hard to do...anyway there isn't any mic pre emulation in this plugin, the input and output knobs are just plain signal multiplication without any voodoo in them :)
So it's bastically just the EQ module with all it's behavior (including harmonic distortion).

Should you step up the game (with mic pre and summing mojo), this might defintely be a nice addition.

EcHo2K wrote:No crosstalk involved, we measured a mono channel and of course our aim wasn't to model the behavior of the whole console but just the EQ module, honestly i haven't worked on those consoles, but Alessandro has a lot of experience with it, so i can ask him if he think there is some other aspect that it's worth modeling!
Looking forward to that - else, I'm fine with having a "clean sound" on stereo bus (read: no crosstalk). Though if you decide to model the mic pre's as well (which might be interesting, since there is no OTARI clone available yet), with all bells and whistles - I'd love to have control over activating "negative sideeffects" (from old analog gear) or not.

Else... interesting tool. Hopefully I can give it a test spin in the next couple of weeks.

Compyfox wrote:Hm... name of the plugin gave it away, still had to look it up though. The "Virus Studio" lists in their Studio A the so called "Otari Soundworkshop 34b Series" mix console.

Quick google search revealed, that these console designs were created by API designers and later even further enhanced with the SW54. Now this is definitely an interesting change of pace.

So far we only had an overload of NEVE and SSL, sometimes API. With some stray cats like ADT (SKnote), Trident A and certain non existing-anymore clones like Harrison (unless you go "Mixbus" and UAD), though now also TG/EMI, Abbey Road - and of course stand alone stuff like Pultec and ANTEC.

17,99EUR - killer price for such a "rare" console channel strip.

Though I miss one essential thing, which seems to be all the rage about this console. From pictures of the channel strip I've seen, it seems like you can change the saturation behavior from Odd to Even Harmonics?
Did any of your research tell you what compressor type this console used? Just curious

The SW34 didn't have any bus compressor and the likes.

It's an Inline Console which only features the essential stuff: Input Gain, EQ, Pan, SENDs and Returns, Volume, etc.

Even though API develpers were involved (according to the internet), this board isn't like a modern NEVE or SSL, where Gates and Compressors are part of the channel strip nowadays. Everything was handled via inserts.

Very interesting.

I must say, this plugin works wonders on my awful vocals. And by that, I mean this is the only plugin that doesnt make my vocals sound like the microphone was cemented into my nose. I even recorded vocals with a dynamic instrument mic on accident cause I didnt switch out cables, and they still sound good(never do on these mic's)

Interesting plugin, however, it's a shame that the relatively high noise floor can not be deactivated while keeping the saturation. Is this something that could be perhaps included in the future? I'm very tempted to purchase this plugin but as I'm saturated with EQ plugins and hate emulated noise (yeah, I'm weird like that) it's a bit hard to justify at the moment.

The noise is especially problematic when everything is calibrated to -18dBFS average levels because that means the noise floor will undoubtedly go up quite a lot once the song hits mastering.. or at least this is a problem until the world properly adopts the 128ITU or whatever it was called standard.. and even after that I'm sure a lot of people will like to have smashed tracks for many years to come. So in this context it would be nice to have a "low noise (like -110dBFS)" and a "no noise" option.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I think I do have to agree with that sentiment, the hiss is a bit too high it seems.Maybe cut it in half, or 3/4? Or an adjustable knob would be neat :D

EDIT: Did some tests, was gonna post here, but figured I'd email instead

Return to “Effects”