Madeon BASS sounds

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on the internet for weeks now, looking for threads regarding Madeon's bass sounds, especially the ones you hear on Technicolor.
I found many attempts at recreating his drums, his leads, but pretty much nothing with his bass sounds, which I find strange since it has been the hardest thing for me to get right.

I feel like I tried everything and it's driving me crazy so I'm asking for your help.

I know there are more than one bass sound in Technicolor, but the one I'm obsessed with is the bass you hear at 2:12/2:14 etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vois0RMtPHE

The main thing I struggle with is that the bass sounds huge, almost like there's no sidechain/volume automation, but it doesn't fight with the kick at all. Everytime I try to push the subs or the low mids on my own basses, it just ends up making my mix very muddy, I can't get that "drive" you feel with madeon's sound. Something I also find interesting is that the subs seem to "vibrate" unlike a regular sine or triangle wave. You can clearly hear it if you put a low pass up to 80-100Hz.

If by any chance you have an idea on how to get a bass to sound like that, I would really, really love to hear about it.

No one has an idea? Not even a little bit?

I'm also interesting in this topic. Tried almost everything but I think there is a very fast sidechain because without it the kick wasn't be so powerfull. Also I'm thinking that Madeon uses several layers on this bass and the sub layer is sidechained to the kick but upper layers (this layers that not interfere with the kick tail frequency) not or very little. Anybody have some more insights?

Return to “Sound Design”