What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Gucky
KVRAF

1582 posts since 26 Sep, 2004

Postby Gucky; Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:21 am the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

A friend of mine sings in a choir.
At the weelend I made some vocal and cello tracks with him.
I wanted to make an experiment with his voice: Is it possible to make a choir with one solo voice?
Here is the result: The one man choir starts on 1:54:
https://soundcloud.com/musikus/russian-nights

I would be very happy about your feedback.
Gucky
KVRAF

Postby Gucky; Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:37 am Re: the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

Bump for your feedback. :-)
Lotuzia
KVRAF

7510 posts since 19 Feb, 2004, from Paris

Postby Lotuzia; Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:24 am Re: the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

Not really. Actually, I hear 'one voice', then some ensemble effect around. Effect is not bad in se, but a real choir, where different voices having slightly delayed attacks etc etc but also, probably more essential different voices with different timbral characteristics, not really. Cool track btw, made me think of a kind of Morricone meeting Mussorgski for certain parts. Cute.

I dont know of any trick to make a single voice sounding like an entire choir, except the usual ensemble/chorus etc units. I think that the more articulations, dentals, words, phonemes the single voice has, the more difficult it will be to make it sound like a choir. Might be easier with the traditional ah, oh, hmmm etc. ( I know it probably doesnt help that much, but well maybe someone else will have better solutions ... )
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there
Gucky
KVRAF

Postby Gucky; Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:41 pm Re: the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

Hi Lotuzia,
many thnaks for your feedback.
I made now a new version. There are 4 voice tracks.
One with the original voice in the middle.
A male choir with shifted formants on the right. A "female choir" with transposition of one octave and formant shift. And a male choir with some voice duplications.
I know that it cannot be perfect. But I hope that it sounds now a little bit better.
https://soundcloud.com/musikus/russian-nights
What do you mean?
Last edited by Gucky on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF

8403 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:55 pm Re: the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

I cannot hear a choir, just a single voice with some reverb and harmonies.

Nevertheless, I like the track, remembers me a bit of the early Vangelis...
The_Hidden_Goose
KVRian

780 posts since 8 Dec, 2003, from Birmingham-ish, UK (Tamworth, but shhh!)

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:00 pm Re: the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

I can hear some high vox but it does mostly seem to follow the low.

Some definite shades of Vangelis there, I agree...reminded me of parts of his 1492 soundtrack.
If it takes a week each day to walk a fortnight, the number of apples in a bunch of grapes is a banana the size of green.
woggle
KVRian

505 posts since 23 Nov, 2012

Postby woggle; Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:20 pm Re: the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

I think you've done a pretty good job but to do a better job the singer needs to sing the line a few times with a slightly different voice quality, standing at different distance and angles to the mic, and then you can treat and mix each individual line into a choir. This will be more realistic.
Alternatively you could take the single line, duplicate it 4 times and put different early reflections on each duplicate, then an overall reverb on all four, spreading 'each singer' across the stereo field as they would stand in concert. Also if you vary the number of lines singing - eg break it down into sometimes a single voice, sometimes two voices, sometimes four, fitting that into the musical context, then it will sound much more like a choir with different parts

It will still sound more like a single person singing than a choir of four individuals though. I have done a similar project here, although the musical style is completely different, this piece is performed by a single singer assembled from 5 takes https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/overview
Allomerus
KVRian

896 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:46 am Re: the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

Nice sounding track. The pads are great but I can't really hear a 'choir' as well. Try doing what Greg suggests.
It sounds great anyway... :)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.
pser
KVRer

17 posts since 11 Jun, 2005

Postby pser; Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:04 am Re: the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

Not bad at all, but as the other say, do multiple take where the singer used his voice differently and then mix it.
Gucky
KVRAF

Postby Gucky; Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:52 am Re: the aritficial choir experiment "russian nights"; feedback welcome

Hi to all.
many thanks for your help. :-)
In one of my next songs I will try to use your tipps. :-)

Hi woggle, I like your song very much.
I wish I would know a girl that can sing so nice. :-)

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe