What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
6556 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:43 pm Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Cape Different - where inferences are drawn but the walls are solid enough.

Originally from December 2010, this took 12 hours to record. The January 2014 edit/remix/master took 9 hours. The remix was relatively straightforward, consisting of some percussion processing, some extra reverb, and that was about it. When I first recorded this one, I didn't like it, and promptly forgot about it. I rediscovered it on my new computer about 4 months ago, and found that the intervening 34 months had changed my feelings towards it.

This track was inspired by some of those strange places that I've visited on day trips, places where strangeness and unease rule the day. Places I wanted to leave before dusk.

mp3/192Kbps/6:18/8.7Mb

or, in a haze of 320Kbps induced doubt:-

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/cape-different

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.4/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7beta

TAL Noisemaker
Cubix
Algo StringSynth
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Rez v2.0
Oatmeal
AM KickLab XXL
Camelspace
Valhalla Shimmer
IK CSR Plate Reverb
IK CSR Hall Reverb
SDRR
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 15
User avatar
Allomerus
KVRian
 
849 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:05 am Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Great start. Gives the impression that something is going to happen. I think I have been to a place like this. Intriguing but a bit on edge, like you don't want to overstay your time there. Enjoyable track that certainly lives up to what you were after... :)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
 
6275 posts since 6 Sep, 2008

Postby Mushy Mushy; Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:55 am Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Ooooh this was nice.
Love those strings. And that bubbly acidy 101 type lead.

I'm glad you revisited and finished the piece :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
6556 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:46 am Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Allomerus wrote:Great start. Gives the impression that something is going to happen. I think I have been to a place like this. Intriguing but a bit on edge, like you don't want to overstay your time there. Enjoyable track that certainly lives up to what you were after... :)


Thanks for the listen and comments, John. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I've been to a few places like that, but I'm keeping schtum :wink:
markkuja
KVRian
 
527 posts since 28 Oct, 2005

Postby markkuja; Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:39 am Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Great electro music ... long intro grows the ambience nicely.. I liked sounds and arrangement.. well done
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
2603 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:23 pm Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

I like this part of town. Hints of intrigue but no serious danger. I think I'll spend the afternoon. Maybe get a bite to eat. :)

Some great synth sounds all around. I'm not getting any sense of digital sameiness on this one. The sounds seem more varied for whatever reason.

It constantly builds. As usual, you saved the tastiest bits for the end. We're really cruising from 4:34 onwards. Very cool synth lines and the drums kick it up a notch. :tu:

The mix is excellent. (Maybe the hats are a little hot or maybe my HF allergies are acting up again. :) )
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
6556 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:00 pm Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Mushy Mushy wrote:Ooooh this was nice.
Love those strings. And that bubbly acidy 101 type lead.

I'm glad you revisited and finished the piece :D


Thanks very much for checking this out, Mushy. Glad you liked it :)

In truth, the revisitation was straightforward. Just cleaned up the mix and added some FX. That acid lead comes from Ugo's Rez v2, if I'm not mistaken.
User avatar
ecamburn
KVRist
 
389 posts since 16 Dec, 2003

Postby ecamburn; Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:26 pm Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Great sounds. Nice slow build up. A nice relaxed vibe to the piece but still plenty of energy and drive. Really liked the lead lines. I really enjoyed it.
User avatar
Allomerus
KVRian
 
849 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:43 am Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

seismic1 wrote:
Allomerus wrote:Great start. Gives the impression that something is going to happen. I think I have been to a place like this. Intriguing but a bit on edge, like you don't want to overstay your time there. Enjoyable track that certainly lives up to what you were after... :)


Thanks for the listen and comments, John. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I've been to a few places like that, but I'm keeping schtum :wink:

Don't blame you either! ;)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.
User avatar
sbj
KVRist
 
386 posts since 17 Aug, 2012, from Denmark

Postby sbj; Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:37 am Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Great blend of different synths. Theres a lot going on, but it doesn't
sound overcrowded.
On a personal taste level I would have preferred the drums a little
more upfront and punchy, but that's all.

Well done (as always)

Cheers :tu:
“Shall we eat, or have a McDonalds” - David Allen -
Sound C loud
Band C amp
If You Like To Watch
User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
 
1550 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:34 pm Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

the build up is very good. starting with the nice little tinkles, building, building.... then that feedbackish lead weaves its way in... building to a great finale. a most enjoyable listen :phones: :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - YAMAHA TX802]
SW [DIM PRO - RAPTURE - Z3TA+ - CRONOX3 - KLC - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK XPSP3 PC/MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
6556 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:44 pm Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

markkuja wrote:Great electro music ... long intro grows the ambience nicely.. I liked sounds and arrangement.. well done


Thanks very much, markkuja. Glad you liked it :tu:
PatchAdamz
KVRAF
 
1539 posts since 12 Nov, 2012

Postby PatchAdamz; Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:19 pm Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Nice Work kemosabe !
You are the DUDE...... :)
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
 
6556 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:31 pm Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

Frantz wrote:I like this part of town. Hints of intrigue but no serious danger. I think I'll spend the afternoon. Maybe get a bite to eat. :)


But you can't be sure what they're preparing in the back. It may say Saltimbocca on the menu......

Frantz wrote:Some great synth sounds all around. I'm not getting any sense of digital sameiness on this one. The sounds seem more varied for whatever reason.


That's probably down to the synths used, although I've mixed up the reverbs on this track, and I've got some Camelspace action going on too.

Frantz wrote:It constantly builds. As usual, you saved the tastiest bits for the end. We're really cruising from 4:34 onwards. Very cool synth lines and the drums kick it up a notch. :tu:

The mix is excellent. (Maybe the hats are a little hot or maybe my HF allergies are acting up again. :) )


I had the hats louder originally, then I toned them down, then I put them back up, then I cut them again. Most of the mixing/mastering decisions were made via the HiFi on here.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Frantz. Glad you liked it :)
wavephonic
KVRian
 
1110 posts since 10 Sep, 2006, from along the rivers edge in northern Ontario

Postby wavephonic; Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:22 am Re: Cape Different - ElectroProg (Seismic Throwback)

the allure here was how the percussion and seq moved but theres an ambience of pads and swaying lead to offset the mood. opposites attrack
Next

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe