Polyslax - some melancholy bits

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Once again it's been a while. Finding time to make music is really tough these days, but I cranked out a few little bits of melancholy piano, some synth and some Machinedrum the other day, so without further ado:

https://soundcloud.com/polyslax/medium-still

https://soundcloud.com/polyslax/moon

https://soundcloud.com/polyslax/moon-too

https://soundcloud.com/polyslax/mostly-still

Hope to catch up on some listening this eve and tomorrow…
Image Image

Welcome back, sir. I see you have delivered us a fresh batch of piano PolySadness. :)

After multiple listens, I find "Medium Still" most effective. It gets the mind movies rolling - evoking dim, faded, fragments of childhood memories.

Good stuff as usual. 8)

(Soundcloud thinks "Medium Still" is 0 seconds long so track comments may not appear like they normally do.)

what a wonderful little collection :)

like Frantz i find myself favouring Medium Still.

splendid stuff. good to have you back.

neil.

Playing these in sequence is a bit like sitting in a piano recital. :-)

All around really engaging listening.

medium still is a lovely tune. I like how the chord progression shifts around, at times landing on a nice consonant chord, but at other times landing on a really dark chord. Interesting little ambient noises fill out the soundscape nicely. In some ways this seems to be the most "fleshed out" song of the bunch.

mostly still, while still melancholy, sounds more upbeat to me. I enjoyed the main theme in this one. The contrast between the main piano theme and the wind chime like accompaniment was interesting. Then there's the interesting twist in the last minute of a dirty, deep beat.

I've just played "Mostly Still". That main piano motif is bugging me. It sounds like something Prog from the late '70s but I can't place it. The piano is restful and calming, but sad and slightly uneasy at the same time. Crunchy, bassy beats at the end.

Good work and welcome back :)

Cheers friends! :)

Certainly Medium Still has the most stuff in it. The others I wanted to keep as bare as possible.

Of course making short, minimal tracks fits in well with my current time constraints. :hihi:
Image Image

On first listen mostly and medium still are the beauties for me

Really great tunes Matt - very emotive and moving pieces of music, and wonderful ambient quality to them too.

Not sure if you know the Japanese musician Susuma Yokota, but some of your pieces here remind me a little of a few of his beautiful songs too, eg:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxWi7AXtJ1Q

Cheers :)

I think "Moon" has to be the shortest polyslax piece I've yet heard. Definitely melancholy, with some interesting background sounds, like pets playing with a mandolin whilst sitting on the fretboard.

That's a very quick fade, like you had to rush off to the bathroom or answer the door.

Really enjoying 'Medium Still'. Has your signature all over it. Lovely piano and expertly placed other sounds and beats. Subtle yet interesting (including the length of 0:00 ?).

On Moon and Moon Too I really like the sounds under the piano.

Mostly Still is great too.

More goodness Matt! Find the time... :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

I found "Moon Too" similar to "Moon", but more satisfying. I think I preferred the melodies on this one, almost like some sort of offset sloth canon.

Good work :)

Thanks a bunch kind sirs!

Yeah, don't know why that track reads 0:00 John?

Actually Tim, Moon is luxuriously long compared to some tracks in my Divertimental set from 2009. I really have been pressed for time, but I also do love the format of the quick sketch, and will probably continue with more work in this format. I started a Divertimental 2 set a couple of years ago but never finished editing it… had over 100 tracks in it if I recall.

Here's the Divertimental set if you're interested:

Divertimental 1 3:18 mins
Divertimental 2 0:18 mins
Divertimental 3 2:06 mins
Divertimental 4 1:39 mins
Divertimental 5 1:01 mins
Divertimental 6 1:36 mins
Divertimental 7 1:25 mins
Divertimental 8 2:11 mins
Divertimental 9 1:36 mins
Divertimental 10 1:36 mins
Divertimental 11 0:18 mins
Divertimental 12 1:15 mins
Divertimental 13 2:48 mins
Divertimental 14 2:19 mins
Divertimental 15 1:57 mins
Divertimental 16 3:01 mins
Divertimental 17 1:29 mins
Divertimental 18 0:50 mins
Divertimental 19 1:13 mins
Divertimental 20 1:38 mins
Divertimental 21 1:20 mins
Divertimental 22 1:27 mins
Divertimental 23 1:27 mins
Divertimental 24 2:03 mins
Divertimental 25 3:12 mins
Divertimental 26 3:19 mins
Divertimental 27 2:42 mins
Divertimental 28 1:02 mins
Divertimental 29 2:21 mins
Divertimental 30 1:25 mins
Divertimental 31 2:40 mins
Divertimental 32 1:05 mins
Divertimental 33 5:12 mins
Divertimental 34 2:30 mins
Divertimental 35 2:00 mins
Divertimental 36 3:34 mins
Divertimental 37 2:17 mins
Image Image

You've captured an interesting offbeat vibe. Reminds me of some of Chopin's nocturnes.

This is describing almost spookily my current mood.
Collective consciousness ?
However these are nice tunes and they´re reminding me of
Camille Saint-Saens.
Poly just listen to some pieces on Amazon or iTunes
and you´ll got some fresh inspiration ;-)

(( D ))

Thank you Life Exaggerated!

Cheers Daniel - yes, perhaps some top 40 will reset my brain. ;)
Image Image

Return to “Music Cafe”