Best software looper for guitar player

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everybody!

Sorry if this question has been posed endless times already...
So, I play guitar, and I have always used loopers at home as compositional tools, and I found that, even though often simple to use, each had its shortcomings. So I started toying with the idea of using a software looper instead, which would theoretically be more flexible (e.g. I could store loops right away, I could plug in vsts, I could add midi tracks and so on).
However, for some strange reason I am not having a lot of luck in finding the one for me. I tried Ableton first, amazing on the paper, but for some unexplicable reason I can't control it midi - surreal story, midi messages are received, the assignment are stored, it even shows that there incoming known messages when I push the switches...but then nothing, it doesn't do the action the message is assigned to. I tried this for days now, so I guess I gave up now.
Anyway, I tried others. Mobius seems ok, but I don't understand the lack of stop/play button...? Also, I didn't have much luck with midi there either.
I could properly set up midi with Ambiloop, but then the super weird thing is that it seems you mush specify the number of bars to record in advance. Weird.
Then I tried Livid Looper. Again, no global stop/play...seriously?

So now my question is: is there a software looper that you would recommend for guitar players particularly? Cause it looks like some of this are not really tailored to the very simple requirement of recording/overdubbing/playing/stop, which to me is funny to say the least.
Sure, I didn't examine the above product in superdetail, and feel free to point out if I made mistakes in my quick judgements - it's just that it was getting me sick of trying all loopers out there and find always one problem or another...
Thanks in advance for any suggestion you can give me!

Simone

Any luck finding one Simone? I'm looking for the same.
Windows 11/Linux Manjaro KDE + Waveform 11.

Mobius does everything you're looking for (including lots of scope for MIDI control) you just have to put some work into setting it up. It is quite a steep learning curve, but the manual is very good and there a quite a few Youtube videos also showing you how to set it up. Stick with it, it's worth the effort :)

Hey mikusan, what's your setup? I'm on Tracktion 5 and looking to get a MIDI footswitch and extra software (if need be, like Mobius). Which DAW and MIDI device do you use/have you had good results with?
Windows 11/Linux Manjaro KDE + Waveform 11.

I'm contemplating about the same (loopers for live use) and I thought the Boss RC-30 would be all of that.
Other than that I'd research some iPad possibilites with an extra MIDI-controller like maybe Auria (for VST Support) and combine it with Audiobus and for eg. 'Loopy'.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Strange that you couldn't get Ableton to work properly. Have you demoed Bitwig?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”