Recording new Roland TB-3

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On the weekend the new Roland TB-3 arrived :)

You can connect it via USB. However, I can only record sound if I choose TB-3 as a sound device in Cubase. But when I do so, I'm consequentially not able to hear the sound over my normal audio interface. Of course, I could additionally connect the audio outs and record that input, but then I would have noise due to the cables etc. Besides I can't be in sync with my song, can I?

Is it possible to record audio over USB and hear your track at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
Peter

Boutz wrote:Is it possible to record audio over USB and hear your track at the same time?
No idea. More info would be needed to work that out.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

As far as I know the AIRA products only send audio over USB if you select them as your main ASIO device.

Which is pretty dumb.

yeah, makes not too much sense at all :-(

However Future Music writes: "When you also consider that the TB-3 is a USB Audio/MIDI Interface, a MIDI
controller and a versatile monosynth module, it seems like a real bargain!"

So I think there must be a way to listen to your track AND the TB-3 at the same time.

This is exactly why my Roland SonicCell kind of sucked. If you want the direct digital USB in, it's your audio interface. For me, this was silly because I needed a lot more analog ins than it had.

I think (I might be wrong) that in the Mac OS you can create a "composite audio interface" and combine several audio interfaces into a single virtual interface. Windows isn't as smart... but we already knew that. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:This is exactly why my Roland SonicCell kind of sucked. If you want the direct digital USB in, it's your audio interface. For me, this was silly because I needed a lot more analog ins than it had.

I think (I might be wrong) that in the Mac OS you can create a "composite audio interface" and combine several audio interfaces into a single virtual interface. Windows isn't as smart... but we already knew that. :lol:
You can do that on a mac, but, and I brought this up in the other thread, just because you can bond devices does not mean that you can synchronize them. I'm not sure how well this works, although, I have a mac and several interfaces so that I could try it.

Maybe on Windows Asio4All can come to the rescue? That should allow you to make one big multi-channel ASIO device composed of a handful of otherwise unrelated devices.
Otherwise you should send the main out of your DAW to the synth, and route it to your speakers from there.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Boutz wrote:On the weekend the new Roland TB-3 arrived :)

You can connect it via USB. However, I can only record sound if I choose TB-3 as a sound device in Cubase. But when I do so, I'm consequentially not able to hear the sound over my normal audio interface. Of course, I could additionally connect the audio outs and record that input, but then I would have noise due to the cables etc. Besides I can't be in sync with my song, can I?

Is it possible to record audio over USB and hear your track at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
Peter
EDIT: I TRIED THIS BELOW BUT IT KNOCKED OUT USING MY USUAL SOUNDCARD(i04 that runs using asio4 all) SO I GAVE UP!

Posted on Gearslutz(not by me) I am going to maybe try this today:

If you are a windows user running multiple Airas and want to capture their audio digitally via USB, download the free ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver. Once installed, start your DAW, and select Asio4All as your audio card. Then go to the Asio4all control panel, click the wrench to enter edit mode, and enable your Aira audio devices by clicking on the their individual "power" buttons. I strongly suggest turning off audio cards you don't intend to use. Make sure your main audio card is on if you are using it to monitor audio coming out of your DAW. Click the "+" to expand the Airas audio I/O and enable the channels you want to see in your DAW. Now you should be able to capture audio from your TR, TB, etc at the same time.

Note the Airas output at a fixed 96khz. If you start to get pops and clicks, go to the Arias individual control panels (acessiable via their windows exe in the Roland folder created when you installed the Aira driver) and increase the buffer.

I have the above running on Windows 7 dedicated DAW with Studio One + a Presonus 1818vsl and Akai Ren sound cards and it works great - just over 5ms latency with a 512 buffer on all my audio cards. Note i have not pushed my system hard with multichannels from the TR8, so I may revise my opinion. Right now i can capture 6 channels w/o hiccups (two from the TR, two from the TB, two from the Akai).

Note also that supposedly Sonar can do this nativly. There is a free trail so I intend to demo it and see for myself.
Last edited by breakmixer on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just to clarify the difference between the Aira products with USB and the Virus Snow for example (as I have a Snow) is that the Virus runs through it's own VST allowing recording and the Aira products have no direct DAW VST yet?

Set up an audio channel and hit record as usual and it records fine....however i still cant get mine to work in cubase 7 other then hitting play on the tb 3. What id like to do it draw a line in midi and hit play in cubase and it plays...but nothing....any ideas on set up?

Ok this is winding me up....i have now only the 3 acting as the interface. I can play sound through cubase and out of cubase. I can play the 3 in cubase and out of cubase but as you say draw a line and nothing. The manual is poo too. I have contacted support but just as i asked this same question they must of gone home for the easter hols. Has anyone got anywhere with it? Im on cubase 7.5

Lol mine is alive and i have no clue how i just done it. Its in sync and working fine in cubase. Weird!

tehlord wrote:As far as I know the AIRA products only send audio over USB if you select them as your main ASIO device.

Which is pretty dumb.
Sadly this is true. On Mac there is native audio card cascading and Mac users does not have that problem. Under win only option is to use Asio4all.

Extremely lame.

Example: my RME Asio driver is far more advanced but..i have to use 3rd party to record Airas..

Really dumb. At first i tested Airas on Macs and this was native and used normally. As soon as i dropped to my home machine on Win i have this problem..

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”