What's a good VSTi for supersaw/hypersaw patches?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking of selling my Virus TI, since there's not much that I've done with it that I couldn't have done in NI Massive.

However, I'm pretty sure none of the other SW/HW synths I own have anything like the Virus's hypersaw oscillator, which makes it easy to quickly build a powerful supersaw type patch.

I'm curious what plugins out there might be a good substitute for the Virus's hypersaw?

I've seen Spire and Zebra mentioned for this kind of sound. Any others?

I've also seen Synth1 mentioned in terms of making supersaws, but it appears to be 32-bit only.

I run Cubase 7.5 on Windows 7, 64-bit everything.

Spire or Sylenth1 are the obvious choices for supersaws. Personally, I think Z3TA covers more of the Virus range overall, but if your primary interest is super/hypersaws, I say go with Spire or Sylenth1.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Those mentioned are all good. To add a few more choices Alchemy, DUNE and Synthmaster all do nice supersaws.

...and Diva and Diversion.

Corona is currently on sale...

dentnile wrote:Those mentioned are all good. To add a few more choices Alchemy, DUNE and Synthmaster all do nice supersaws.

I was actually surprised when I heard this soundset of Alchemy.

https://soundcloud.com/mirkoruta/vengea ... hemy-vol-1

Some of the sounds are very "Virus" like
:borg:

In the free world you could try xhip. That has a dedicated section for stacking saw waves on one oscillator (up to 16). It can get ludicrously huge when combined with unison detune. Not sure how similar it is the the Virus sound though.

Sylenth is still king here. Spire is good, but CPU use is high.

If low CPU usage is a major concern, then yah Sylenth1 and Dune all the way. Keep your ears posted from Synapse as I believe they have Dune2 under way.

Between the two you could get ALOT of "supersaw" happiness to last you a while. :lol:
:borg:

JP6K is also very good and dirt cheap, although synthesis options are limited.

7 Pings Only

tehlord wrote:JP6K is also very good and dirt cheap, although synthesis options are limited.
I assume he wants 64-bit suggestions only :?

fluffy_little_something wrote:
tehlord wrote:JP6K is also very good and dirt cheap, although synthesis options are limited.
I assume he wants 64-bit suggestions only :?
64-bit would be ideal, yes.

Some really good suggestions here. I'm going to be busy tonight testing demos.

I also own Sylenth1, which I never really spent much time with before I started working with Massive. And I have Alchemy, which I hadn't used a lot just because I found the feature set a little daunting... but I read about using its "NOsc" feature for supersaws today, which definitely sounds like it's worth a look. Looks like they did some Tutorial Videos for it a while back, which I should probably check out.

Also that xhip looks promising, with a dedicated super saw control. A currently-maintained freeware plugin with 64-bit support? Nice!

EDIT: Also curious about Diva's megasaw oscillator. It wasn't clear to me from the manual whether that works separately from the plugin's stack/unison feature, but I will have a look at the demo, for sure.

UltimateOutsider wrote: EDIT: Also curious about Diva's megasaw oscillator. It wasn't clear to me from the manual whether that works separately from the plugin's stack/unison feature, but I will have a look at the demo, for sure.
Yeah, it works independent of the unison...

supersaw? is this april fools?
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”