most flexible Free Vsti?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

I mean, flexible... like which is the most versatile free synth? Which can emulate or get near other synths with more power/commercial?

PM, FM, or even Substractive or additive... whatever. Synths that can produce classic, or hybrid (similar/hybrid/Physical Modelling included) sound.

Synths that even not having the capabilities to produce a kind of sound, can emulate it via modular means or matrix methods or you name it.

I am looking for a bread and butter synth(s), BUT also with the capabilities mentioned most to fill in a mix and able to do all this. Having multicore,oversampling, custom waves, etc... would be a plus, but not exactly needed. It is valid even if its old.

As an example I can say Synth1... because I am able to do great basses (accoustic or not) and good strings/pads.

M-theory, even being a PM synth I managed to get some good sounds from it (trumpet, guitar, with SF2 quality (not sampled but sounding very good to my ears) using LFOs, the exciters and filters).

RMXL, tweaked it a lot and made a spanish guitar sound with it (After 4 hours). I am a bit embarrassed to post the sounds but that is for another thread... but I promise you I will post it :D

Oatmeal... Still tweaking it, but it shows promise, and the fact that you can Draw or make waveforms makes it quite powerful not just for sinthy sounds.

Oxe FM... just learning it but sounds well (a bit difficult gui for me).

Of course IF you think a synth can do all kind of sounds, your welcome to name it...

I hope I explained well... thanks to all.

Crystal can do a bit of different sounds:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/crystal_by_green_oak

Voyager

+1 for voyager

Voyager is a good plugin, but how flexible is it if it only can do substractive synthesis?

Probably ZynAddSubFx. It requires you to be pretty flexible too though, to be able to operate the GUI... :hihi:

Hey, Thanks for the fast responses.

In the past I tested Crystal and Zynadd... the problem with them is the gui is a bit complicated but they are really good.

Sometimes you miss a good GUI to be able to tweak with more ease, for example the last skin for oatmeal (MrM Blue) makes it waaaaay more easy and in it looks simpler than it is.

Another synth that I think is flexible is Vivaldi MX, which, If I recall correctly can do FM too.

Numanoid:
well... Substractive synths are powerful, the problem is If you try to emulate acoustic/make an hybrid it can sound very aliasing because for this kind of thing is better to use FM or PM (with harmonics possibilities the better).

But look at the Kaioyoti patches for Synth1, some patches sound very well and realistic, and Synth1 is substractive.

Synth1! it can do supersaws to sync leads

http://www.u-he.com/cms/zebralette

I know it can't do everything, but it's great anyway.

:)

Two or three more posts in this thread and you - Kel - have used up your yearly contingent :hihi:

Anyway, I suppose the more versatile synths are, the worse the quality. It makes more sense to use several synths, each of which is dedicated to a certain method and thus good at it.

Let's hear that Spanish guitar :)

I don't think aliasing is the problem with subtractive synthesis, that depends simply on the quality of the synth, sampling rate, etc.

The word 'flexible' trips it all up.
Most free synths only do 'the thing they do' and so you end up having to have more than one free synth to get flexibility.

So like it or not, for being flexible, I would pretty much have to go with a Sample-Player and that leaves SampleTank2 Free or Kontakt Player. Fot that level of free, I have to give STank2 an edge for quick and readily available stock sounds
But of course, the first free thing I would download is Alchemy Player. STank second, Kontakt Player third, and most likely, Synthmaster Player fourth, AAS free player fifth. Those give the most range of 'flexible' for the download. Everything else I would download after would be the 'icing on the cake'.
Effects; I probably would start with Guitar Rig and Reaktor Player.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

fluffy_little_something wrote:Two or three more posts in this thread and you - Kel - have used up your yearly contingent :hihi:

Anyway, I suppose the more versatile synths are, the worse the quality. It makes more sense to use several synths, each of which is dedicated to a certain method and thus good at it.

I don't think aliasing is the problem with subtractive synthesis, that depends simply on the quality of the synth, sampling rate, etc.
Thanks. (I dont understand that about the post contingent, sorry not native speaker).

What I mean is for example some patches (nothing to do with emulations), on the high register there is aliasing and the only way to get rid of it is to use oversampling or any other methods.

Excuse me, because I am not too versed in audio programming Im just a hobbyist any audio programmer could explain it better than me.

Kel wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Two or three more posts in this thread and you - Kel - have used up your yearly contingent :hihi:

Thanks. (I dont understand that about the post contingent, sorry not native speaker).

What I mean is for example some patches (nothing to do with emulations), on the high register there is aliasing and the only way to get rid of it is to use oversampling or any other methods.

Excuse me, because I am not too versed in audio programming Im just a hobbyist any audio programmer could explain it better than me.
Well, I was just referring to your 44 posts in 10 years of KVR membership, which is very very few :)

I am not sure it is aliasing. Sometimes there is noise, for instance a kind of grinding noise, especially with some SynthEdit synths, but I am not sure it is aliasing. Swierk for instance has terrible noise on high octaves, but also on the lowest octaves. Often one can reduce such noise by increasing the sampling rate of the DAW to 96k. But with Swierk and some others not even that seems to help.

Dune LE is free via Beat: http://www.beatdrive.de/?t=plugins

It got all the modulation options of the full version, what it is lacking is the effect section.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Well, I was just referring to your 44 posts in 10 years of KVR membership, which is very very few :)

I am not sure it is aliasing. Sometimes there is noise, for instance a kind of grinding noise, especially with some SynthEdit synths, but I am not sure it is aliasing. Swierk for instance has terrible noise on high octaves, but also on the lowest octaves. Often one can reduce such noise by increasing the sampling rate of the DAW to 96k. But with Swierk and some others not even that seems to help.
yes, but from now on I will post more, with the beneficence of the audience :D

I've been always a hobbyist musician, and my work didnt have nothing to do with music (3d modeling and ilustrative work) and all the time was dedicated to 3d.

I dont know why I have posted so few times in so many years :D I even have a soundcloud account with some personal songs for all over the years.

Didnt know that trick of the daw... Thanks. Anyway if the synth got oversampling you can render at a high number (sytrus i.e supports 64x!!! oversampling). Even in sytrus you've got HD buttons on some filters to have crystal clear rendering and almost no errors of aliasing. That is a very interesting option that all synths should have.

Cheers.

Return to “Instruments”