velocity mapper that varies by note

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello

Does anyone know of a velocity mapper in Reaper with a different velocity curve for different notes?

My issue is my Yamaho P80 is getting old. It makes a good MIDI controller except now the middle 5 octaves or so produce a lower MIDI velocity than the extreme upper or lower octaves do, and it interferes with my playing. As I play a scale, for example, it suddenly gets quiet as I get above around the C an octave below middle C. I've watched it in a velocity editor and seen that the velocities are too low for those middle octaves.

I'd rather not get a new controller. What I'd like to do is set a velocity curve for those middle octaves that's different from the velocity curve for the outer octaves. I haven't found an effect in Reaper that will do it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

bump

Try with JS: IX/MIDI_Tool II, set Note Min and Note Max to the region you want to adjust, then figure out the Velocity Scaling/Output Velocity Min/Output Velocity Max settings you like. If that's not flexible enough, you might need to roll out your own Jesusonic plugin (probably by modifying an existing one).

You may be able to repair the mechanical parts of the keys to fix the issue.

Generally, velocity is measured by having two switches. The first switch is activated usually about 10% into the key press, while the second usually about 50% or more.

Velocity is the time it took to activate the second switch once the first was activated. So, you can try this: If you press a key slightly but not enough to activate it, then very quickly depress it the remainder of the way you should find that the velocity reported is very low.

If the velocity is lower on certain notes you may find the angle at which the switches are being activated is different, or the amount of spring left in the switch spring has reduced with wear.

You can generally fix this with a process known as "bending stuff". Bending solves everything.

Note though that excessive unskilled bending can result in breaking.

The service manual for the p-80 unfortunately doesn't give a good side perspective drawing of the mechanical for the key switches. I can't see how the hammer/spring/switches interact well enough to give any advice there.

The DX-7 however has very well put together switches and springs. One trick is that if you invert the spring you can increase the force significantly. The switches sometimes need to be polished after 30+ years of use although this shouldn't be the issue with your P-80, it might be worth-while to examine the state of the switch contacts and springs closely.

The whole circuit is as complicated as a light switch, whatever the issue is it must be quite simple.

I've read some comments about the P-80 having software problems and sending variable velocity values depending upon which voices are played internally as well as which presets and velocity curves are selected. Sounds like a major bug, but that shouldn't be limited to only certain keys like you've described.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Great ideas--thanks to both of you! (Plus, acciddose you made me laugh.)

I will try the software way first and see if I make any headway.

Make sure you try selecting different sounds on the keyboard and check to see if this changes the results you get, though.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Sounds good! I'll try it (though, like you, I have my doubts that it's software since it's limited to certain keys).

I should add that I can feel some physical wear in the keys -- the keys in the affected range make a "thunk thunk" sound when I play them that they never used to make. So I do think it's likely physical.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”