G8 Gate (VST/AU Noise Gate/Granulator) DRM-Free Public Beta now Available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
G8 Dynamic Gate

Hi everyone,

We here at Unfiltered Audio are nearing the release of our first VST/AU plug-in, G8 Gate! G8 is a port of our highly rated Reason Rack Extension, but with many new, creative features that allow for it to be used as a granulator, tremolo, bouncing ball MIDI generator, drum replacer, and more!

Because this is our first VST/AU, we're super worried about making sure that it works on everybody's computers before we put it up for sale. We've decided that releasing a demo first as a public beta would be a good way to find out!

You can read more about the plug-in and download the demo here:
http://unfilteredaudio.com/g8.html

Instructions for setting up G8's additional ports in your host can be found here:
http://g8-gate.readthedocs.org/en/lates ... tions.html

A few things:
-Sidechain In/Reject Out aren't supported in Logic yet :( . We're aware that this is a huge issue, but we are waiting for JUCE to add in proper support for aux ins/outs in AUs. When this is fixed, we will release a free update. Same goes for a VST3 version. We will be adding a compatibility chart to our (incomplete) store page.

-The interface might not work on a 32-bit Windows OS. If you get an all-black or all-white interface, send me a message and I'll send you some alternative installers to try out. We haven't tested the plug-in on Windows XP yet, either, so let us know if it works there!

-I'm working on writing the connection instructions for REAPER and Digital Performer. I don't have a copy of Cubase, so let me know how the plug-in behaves there.

-The preset collection isn't final yet. Let me know what's useful and what isn't.

-The final version will be available on Steam, along with DRM-free installers + Steam keys from our own website. We're expecting it to cost about $50, with a first week discounted price of $40.

-Please send all bug reports either to me directly as a private message, or to contact [AT] unfilteredaudio [DOT COM]

Here's a lo-res preview of our interface. If you have a Retina screen, the interface will scale properly for that:

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by thelizard on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

There is already a plugin called G8, may seem a bit confusing!

camsr wrote:There is already a plugin called G8, may seem a bit confusing!
Well, there's bug #1! :dog:

Bug #2

After kicking Russia to touch, the G8 is now the G7.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

G8 Gate (VST/AU Noise Gate/Granulator) DRM-Free Public Beta now Available!
From the website:
DRM Free. When you buy it, you own it. No serial numbers, dongles, or forced internet connections.
-The final version will be available on Steam, along with DRM installers + Steam keys from our own website. We're expecting it to cost about $50, with a first week discounted price of $40.
I'm a little confused. So will there be DRM? Or will Steam be required? Is it just the beta that is DRM free? DRM or not doesn't matter much to me, I'm just trying to make sense.

Whoops, that should say DRM-free installers. I'll correct that typo in a minute.

If you buy it through Steam, you'll still install it through Steam, but it won't have a serial number or any DRM attached to it (i.e. you could copy it from your Steam installation folder and have a backup).

When you buy it through our website, we're going to be using the Humble Bundle storefront. With that, you'll have a completely up-to-date and DRM-free installer, and a Steam key.

The Steam version will automatically update itself and keep your presets backed up to Steam Cloud.

Either way, no serials, activations, or anything like that.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up! I'll give it a go and see how it runs here...

Rather than posting twice, I'll add this as an edit:
Runs great on Sonar X3 on Windows 8 64-bit. Sidechaining and everything works as far as I could tell, though I wasn't trying to crash it. Most of the presets were awesome, and provided a good taste of G8's capabilities. I would very much like to see a "Init" preset added, since there isn't a button to restore to a clean slate. Also, I understand the demo limitation, but the period of silence is quite long, to the point where I thought it might not be working still.

DJMashbot wrote:Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up! I'll give it a go and see how it runs here...

Rather than posting twice, I'll add this as an edit:
Runs great on Sonar X3 on Windows 8 64-bit. Sidechaining and everything works as far as I could tell, though I wasn't trying to crash it. Most of the presets were awesome, and provided a good taste of G8's capabilities. I would very much like to see a "Init" preset added, since there isn't a button to restore to a clean slate. Also, I understand the demo limitation, but the period of silence is quite long, to the point where I thought it might not be working still.
Great, thank you! We'll add in an Init preset.

We're trying to work out a good demo limitation. We originally had some pink noise, but decided that it was sort of annoying and a little bit rude. The silence is more pleasant, but the primary function of the plug-in is adding silence! :lol:

We'll figure something out there. I appreciate the feedback!

I've always wanted a demo plugin that would play the macarena or something :o
Looks useful, thanks.

camsr wrote:I've always wanted a demo plugin that would play the macarena or something :o
Looks useful, thanks.
I think kilo hearts have the best demo noise ever :)

We'll be posting new binaries for the demo tomorrow night. Changes so far:

-New demo functionality. Instead of ten seconds of silence every thirty seconds, we will play a much smaller amount of some soft, gated pink noise every twenty seconds or so. That way, you'll still be able to hear how the gate is working.

-Added a Default preset.

Let us know if you encounter any more issues with the current version!

There is going to be a CM version, shipping in early january.

Numanoid wrote:There is going to be a CM version, shipping in early january.

Cat's out of the bag! Where was this announced?

thelizard wrote:Cat's out of the bag! Where was this announced?
It is an ad in the latest Computer Music mag, which was published today.

Edit, the next issue is in fact going to be published already on New Years Eve :party:

Numanoid wrote:
thelizard wrote:Cat's out of the bag! Where was this announced?
It is an ad in the latest Computer Music mag, which was published today.

Edit, the next issue is in fact going to be published already on New Years Eve :party:
Cool, thanks! Yeah, the issue will be published 12/31.

G8CM removes Expert Mode, Alternate Behavior Mode, Sidechain In, and Reject Outs. It still has MIDI in and out, so it can be used as a rhythm extraction tool or a rhythmic gate, along with standard gating and noise removal.

Return to “Effects”