Is Sugarbyte Thesys the best stepsequencer out there?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Hi all,

am looking for arp / step sequencer plugin for Windows 7 and I watched the demo of thesys. Seems like it is the most powerful and robust plug I've seen so far. May be I just overlooked .... Mind to share your thought on this comparing to others similar plugs.

Thanks!
Piggy915

Hi.
It is the best for me because:
1.Sequencer can be programmed via MIDI CC messages without mouth
2.Supports MIDI program change (for live performance)
3.Patterns changing (for live performance)
4.Great tech support - crash was fixed during 1 week by SugarBytes

Limitations:
1.Sequencer can't be programmed via VST parameters

Don't mix Thesys with Arpeggiators. it is more (and much more) a sequencer like the Doepfer MAQ16/3.

Thesys is perfect for live use as krandr stated. But it can help in the studio as well. The live features help you finding nice bass- or leadloops or rhythmic chord patterns while tweaking play modes (back/ forth, etc.) on the fly, changing loop lengths, switching between patterns or use the 'toolbox' commands. To me the results are often much better, organic and exciting than constructed 'mouse-clicked' lines.

I'd never give it away... only for a v2 version. :)

cowby wrote:Hi all,

am looking for arp / step sequencer plugin for Windows 7 and I watched the demo of thesys. Seems like it is the most powerful and robust plug I've seen so far
Yes, it is the most powerful and "best" step sequencer out there. If you want a good arpeggiator, check out Kirnu, Cthulhu or Nora.

If you have a Mac it's worth checking out Numerology from Five12:

http://five12.com/n3.html

Extremely powerful modular environment that includes multiple step sequencers. It works best as a host, although there is or was a plugin version too. v4.0 is due out soon.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

+1 for Numerology

Too sad it's not available for PC. The only prog that comes close to it (while being more like Reaktor for Midi) is Artwonk, but it's unfortunately stand-alone only (no VST). :cry:

++1 for Numerology. It's amazing.

As Elassi said, Thesys is more or less like a software version of the Maq. Numerology is great, but it can also be too much if that makes sense. One of the things that makes the Maq so powerful, imo, is its relative simplicity.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

firepile wrote:
cowby wrote:Hi all,

am looking for arp / step sequencer plugin for Windows 7 and I watched the demo of thesys. Seems like it is the most powerful and robust plug I've seen so far
Yes, it is the most powerful and "best" step sequencer out there. If you want a good arpeggiator, check out Kirnu, Cthulhu or Nora.
I think the same for these arpeggiators. And I just add BlueArp.

Payware, my prefered is Cthulhu, by far.

Freeware, my prefered are at the same level Kirnu and BlueArp.

(I have tried Nora, with enjoyment, but I don't know it enough to give an opinion on it, but it would be probably my preferred since it was by far the most complete tool I've ever tried... but for a too short moment)

You have also the very good Catanya (€45, half-way between arpeggiator and step-sequencer) and among the freewares even a very good true step-sequencer: StepChild.

But I stay on Cthulhu which I really trust... and the couple of free Kirnu and BlueArp.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Mon May 12, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

numerology is the most powerful sequencer available, with extensive modulation and performance possibilities. It is available in beta for version 4, which adds a lot. Does include plugin version. All Mac only. For something truly different, Mac and Windows, check out Nodal from Monash University. For a taste look at YouTube tutorials...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:If you have a Mac it's worth checking out Numerology from Five12:

http://five12.com/n3.html

Extremely powerful modular environment that includes multiple step sequencers. It works best as a host, although there is or was a plugin version too. v4.0 is due out soon.

Peace,
Andy.

Cthulhu is for me...

Another recommendation (and a true secret weapon) is the "ReaJS"-plugin you can get for free vom cockos.fm.

It enables you to load dozens of JSplugins including the MIDI-stuff.

Look for "arp!bangzero" (very nifty arpeggiator) and the evolving "Baby Sequencer". While it does not fulfill 'modern' GUI expectations it has lots of useful features.

(earlier version of "Baby")

(JS plugins inside ReaJS)

Someday, there may be an awesome modular step sequencer/arpeggiator from Loomer which will not be named Epoch.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Just found a vst-plug called b-step ...... but am still in the office.

Will try to have a detail look at this one.

anyone tried or own it ?

Cheers~

cowby wrote:Just found a vst-plug called b-step ...... but am still in the office.

Will try to have a detail look at this one.

anyone tried or own it ?

Cheers~
You talk about B-Step Sequencer I think. It is very specialized to make lines of a bass guitar (it reproduces the four strings of the neck of a bass axe with the synthesis included, etc.) But it has good features based on the circle of fifth. It is very different from a classical step-sequencer.

They have made also a step-sequencer in the same spirit but for... 6 strings of a guitar! It's called CYTHAR. Very specialized too. And this one is free for the moment because it is still a beta version.

I have never tried them, neither the first nor the second, but I'm interested to test the second as long as it is free...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Instruments”