Touch OSC and Bitwig

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://github.com/astartes72/TouchOSC-Bitwig

I Started a Repo on Github regarding integrating Touch OSC in Bitwig.

Basic Mappings for Touch OSC are done, Transport Control works. For the Rest i´m pretty lost.

Here´s what i have so far:

Mappings in Touch OSC:
Page 1:
Buttons for Restart, Stop, Play, Record, Overdub (all Working with the Modification made to Thomas´original Script.)
Volume Faders: CCs 101-108
Masterfader: CC 109
Encoders (Pan): CCs 91-98
(All not Scripted yet)

Page 2:
Encoders for Primary Device/UserControls: CCs 20-27 (Not Scripted yet)

Page 3:
4 X/Y Pads with CCs 12-19 mapped, starting with the top left Pad

Faders/Encoders are all freely Mappable for now (i used Thomas´Bi-Driectional Script as Basis, so most Credits for Coding deserves him) as i plan to include some Pages for sending Midinotes for personal needs (Plans so far: a Buttonmatrix with Togles mapped to Notes so you get something like a, say, "Drone-Mashine". If interested i can include the Mappings in the Repo when ready).

If anyone has some sparetime to get the Faders/encoders Scripted: Feel free to do so. I am no coder, so any help on that Part is highly appriciated :wink:

I like the note-toggle page idea :-) :tu:
Maybe have a toggle to toggle the toggling on and off?

Good stuff!

Cheers,

Tom

Edit: Removed my comment on Pads since it's already solved ;-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

For now i have for Each X/Y Pad two knobs that Mimix the Setup of the Container Devices in some way. One for X and one for Y, same as when you hit the gear in, for example, the X/Y FX Container.
This gives ne "regular" Behavior with the Knobs and a somewhat Chaotic behavior when i use the Pads in my touch OSC Mapping.

I just forked your repo and created a resized TouchOSC mapping for my android phone (960x540px) to be able to test it. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Update: I rezised Thomas´Phone-Layout for iPad/Tablet use and (for now) made some Changes to the Pages for Testing if the ideas i had work.

Both Layouts (Phone and iPad/Tablet) are included in the Repo (see first Post for Link), all Mappings have the Initials of the Creator in the File Name (T.H. for Thomas, M.N. for me)
Also included the actual API-Script from Thomas (and edited some typos in the Readme....Sorry Thomas for misspelling again)

Next planned Steps:
Tranfer the Changes actually included in the iPad Mapping to the alternative /Original Mapping
Include the Pad and Keyboard Pages from Thomas´ Phone Mapping in the iPad Mapping

This looks so cool and I want to try it!!

However, I'm using Bitwig with Ubuntu/Cadence/Catia and an Android tablet, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get the devices connected. Any ideas?

Thanks!
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

As far as i can say (i´m no Linux user) you need the TouchOSC Bridge to get the meseges from TOSC into propper Midi Messeges. Problem: The Bridge is only availeble for Win/Mac. Maybe you can run it with Wine, but i´m Really not shure about that

There is pure data midi bridge for Ubuntu http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-getting-started-osc
It works just fine but Bitwig can't see midi port created by PD so there is no connection between BWS and PD.
Waiting for better midi support in Bitwig (alsa midi, or jack midi)

sry for noob question, but how can i install the touchOSC in bitwig? i've put the .js file in controllers/generic folder of bitwig but then when i tried to add a generic controller the touchOSC doesn't show up..missing something?

Using TouchOSC Bridge, your DAW a.k.a Bitwig, should recognize the midi instrument avalible in your computer as it would recognize any other hardware controller. Thats the function of TouchOSC Bridge, the bridge between your android/ios and the DAW.

Are you on PC? Check that Bomes MIDI ( something like that) driver is installed on your system. TouchOSC Bridge setup do it by default but one time I ran into troubles with it. IF it is not installed, then you have something to begin with to solve the issue.

@spinlud: If you add a generic controller, that is what you get ;-)
The TouchOSC controller should show up in a folder called TouchOSC or TouchOSCBridge, depending on which version you are using. Where it shows up in BWS isn't determined by where you put it, but inside the script.
I personally would rather put it in a dedicated folder "TouchOSC" in the controller folder anyway - makes it easier to find and update later on.
You may also want to put it in your user directory's Controller folder instead of the installation folder if you didn't do so already, so it's safe when you update BWS.
You can also autodetect it.

Cheers,

Tom

Please guys, can made a guide for noobs?

I follow documentation on TouchOSC site, but don't know how to connect to Bitwig, what programs I need and how to configure... And surprisingly there are a lot of post on forums, blogs, youtube videos, but I did not find anything that explain this basic thing.

OK. Please post every step you do. Images are not a must, say each thing you do from the very begining. I feel I can help you, lets see what happens.

I'd like to point you to my OSC script for Bitwig: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=417075

The advantage is that you do not have to setup a midibridge since OSC is its natural language. It also includes a (simple) TouchOSC layout file. Maybe someone is interested in extending it.

Thanks moss, I will take a look ;)

carloscuevasm simply I follow steps documentated on http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc
But are not sufficient, also I found some steps in this guide that are not in the Touchosc app.

I am on Android and OS X.

Return to “Bitwig”