u-he The Hive still gonna happen?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Urs

Just wondering if the weekend Supersaw project was gonna still materialize as the Hive :hihi: or was all your researched implemented in Diva and "The Hive- Shelved"? :?

Regards
TB4C
The notes you don't play creates the silent gaps for you to hear the notes you do play :phones:

I suppose so, after Bazille and Presswerk are released.

That would be cool!
The notes you don't play creates the silent gaps for you to hear the notes you do play :phones:

EvilDragon wrote:I suppose so, after Bazille and Presswerk are released.
Yeah, I guess.

Before Zebra 3?

Just chiming it that i look forward to it too, FWIW. :P

I was just thinking recently that U-He might as well put out a cheap and simple synth in the same arena as Sylenth, Spire, Z3ta+, ANA, Lush-101 etc. just to prove a point :D

firepile wrote:
Before Zebra 3?
Well, Zebra3 needs a lot of work on the DSP-side. Hive is nearly go to go, DSP-wise. It just needs a nice UI, which the designers can do while the developers work on Zebra3 modules.

The way the FX are incorporated could make this killer. You have Uhbik and Satin to draw on.

And of course 'that' envelope/filter characteristic.

knowix wrote:I was just thinking recently that U-He might as well put out a cheap and simple synth in the same arena as Sylenth, Spire, Z3ta+, ANA, Lush-101 etc. just to prove a point :D
Spiteful software development has a low return on investment. ;) If folks haven't taken notice of the awesomeness of Zebra over Sylenth yet, SpiteSynthTM wouldn't help covert people either.

Erkenfresh wrote: Spiteful software development has a low return on investment. ;) If folks haven't taken notice of the awesomeness of Zebra over Sylenth yet, SpiteSynthTM wouldn't help covert people either.
Well there's more interesting points that can be made via this synth rather than to just unleash spitefulness :-P

Wasn't the genesis of this synth Urs's ambivalent thoughts about supersaws? "100% free of Supersaws!" etc. So I find that very interesting.

How many of these kind of synths are filled with bells and whistles, when they're mostly used for variations of less than a dozen EDM sounds? U-He can be more brazen about that simplicity. If people want complexity there's Zebra, or Diva, or...

And if we're going to get specifically accusatory, Sylenth is priced between Diva and Zebra, and yet they've been making a meal of 64bit Mac support for how many years now? It doesn't seem all that professional to effectively be providing the same level of platform support as someone using Synthedit.

It could also potentially provide a fun playground for Urs's ideas for copy protection, because even if an EDM synth was priced at a dollar, people would still search for a cracked copy.

Even the name of the synth has interesting connotations. I'll let people draw their own comparisons between a beehive and EDM. Plus there's this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urticaria ;)

But I dunno, maybe you have a point about asking for trouble by creating a synth for negative reasons...

Well, we would never release a product for "negative reasons". In actual fact, I find the concept and implementation of Sylenth1 pretty brilliant. It's very economic in the level of control and the few features that it has are done very well. I think it's the immediacy that makes Sylenth1 very popular, which is where many of its competitors seem to fall short.

Our reputation on the other hand is built upon the complete opposite. We've not been economic in the level of control at all, we have in fact implemented a lot of geekery in our stuff. Even the Uhbiks, which were supposed to be a bread'n'butter counterpart to the complex Filterscape and MFM, have more geekdom built inside than many of their competing products.

So, we do have a good reputation, but our stuff is too geeky for many people - or quite simply, too costy on CPU vs. what they need. Hence we get a lot of requests for a simple synth that is very CPU efficient.

The other thing is, there's a lot of talk about supersaws in general. How "phasey" they are, how "wide" they sound, what "detune law" is used and all that stuff. It's almost as if there's a whole science about them. I started my weekend project not only to check out what the fastest algorithm might be, but also to understand more about the science / pixiedust of supersaws.

Lastly, I never liked clean supersaws with analogue filter models. The distortion of the filter drive often adds a brittle and screechy component to it. Another part of my weekend project was finding great sounding filters that don't do this. Recent I found a very pleasant sounding filter method which IMHO works very well with supersaws.

So yeah, Hive will be a u-he synth through and through, but with a less geek-ish featureset than our other offering and hopefully with a competitive CPU fingerprint.

- Urs

Urs wrote: So yeah, Hive will be a u-he synth through and through, but with a less geek-ish featureset than our other offering and hopefully with a competitive CPU fingerprint.
Nice. :)
Last edited by chk071 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

While the other synths mentioned in this thread do the supersaws really well, they are popular more so for the complex range of sounds they create in a simplistic manner, however not so simplistic in some cases like spire there are alot of tweak-able options. I'd say how well they do supersaws is kinda like a test of how good they sound, usually when flipping through synth presets I pay close attention to the supersaws and if they sound good I'm confident alot of the other sounds can be. I'd say it take a little longer than a weekend to be on par with these synths. As they say the only difference between insanity and genius is success..

For other good trance vsti try t force alpha plus, it is an incredible vsti somtimes I think is the best one even if free... can be really smooth or lots of distortion... Peace
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Urs wrote:Well, we would never release a product for "negative reasons". In actual fact, I find the concept and implementation of Sylenth1 pretty brilliant. It's very economic in the level of control and the few features that it has are done very well. I think it's the immediacy that makes Sylenth1 very popular, which is where many of its competitors seem to fall short.

Our reputation on the other hand is built upon the complete opposite. We've not been economic in the level of control at all, we have in fact implemented a lot of geekery in our stuff. Even the Uhbiks, which were supposed to be a bread'n'butter counterpart to the complex Filterscape and MFM, have more geekdom built inside than many of their competing products.

So, we do have a good reputation, but our stuff is too geeky for many people - or quite simply, too costy on CPU vs. what they need. Hence we get a lot of requests for a simple synth that is very CPU efficient.

The other thing is, there's a lot of talk about supersaws in general. How "phasey" they are, how "wide" they sound, what "detune law" is used and all that stuff. It's almost as if there's a whole science about them. I started my weekend project not only to check out what the fastest algorithm might be, but also to understand more about the science / pixiedust of supersaws.

Lastly, I never liked clean supersaws with analogue filter models. The distortion of the filter drive often adds a brittle and screechy component to it. Another part of my weekend project was finding great sounding filters that don't do this. Recent I found a very pleasant sounding filter method which IMHO works very well with supersaws.

So yeah, Hive will be a u-he synth through and through, but with a less geek-ish featureset than our other offering and hopefully with a competitive CPU fingerprint.

- Urs

These points are exactly why Sylenth did (and still does) so well.

90% of people that buy into software synths really don't care about how you can macro edit your MSEG to modulate your FM module.

Sylenth also absolutely nails the supersaw and the relationship between the oscillators, filter and the way the envelopes act on the filter.

If you could achieve (and improve) that, and also better Sylenth's awful FX section then you'd be onto a winner for sure. Spire has already achieved that, but at a massive cost to CPU.

Return to “u-he”