Microtonal options in Mulab?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wondering how well MuLAb plays with microtonal stuff? Going to poke around with it. Here is a list of daws (sort of) rated by functions that are needed for full microtonal support.

https://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/DAWs

Looks like Reaper takes the lead at the moment. Mainly wondering if MuLAb also already has this? If so I will have someone add it to the page.
Last edited by memyselfandus on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuLab does not have microtonal support.

Can Midi tracks in mulab contain multiple channels of midi data?

Do Midi tracks filter out all sysex and polyphonic aftertouch messages?

Does Mulab allow recording and playback of sysexes?

memyselfandus wrote:Can Midi tracks in mulab contain multiple channels of midi data?
Yes: Set the track MIDI channel to "Per Part" and eventually the part MIDI channel to "Per Event".
That way you can choose on what level the MIDI channel is defined.
Do Midi tracks filter out all sysex and polyphonic aftertouch messages?
Sysex is not supported yet, polypress is supported.
Does Mulab allow recording and playback of sysexes?
No.

Thank you :) looks pretty close for everything needed.

memyselfandus wrote:Just wondering how well MuLAb plays with microtonal stuff? Going to poke around with it. Here is a list of daws (sort of) rated by functions that are needed for full microtonal support.

https://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/DAWs

Looks like Reaper takes the lead at the moment. Mainly wondering if MuLAb also already has this? If so I will have someone add it to the page.
If I may interfere...

I use Absynth 5 inside MuLab for microtonal music.

Yeah but that's the synth supporting it, not the host. Lots of plugins support microtunings on an instrument level but no hosts are really well adapted to composing microtonal music, Logic supports it in a limited way for its own instruments but not plugins, but the piano roll is not geared towards anything that is non standard. Reaper has a more flexible piano roll but doesn't have any sort of microtonal support for plugins (although at least that is better support for the ones that support it on an instrument level). The best composition environment I know for microtonal music is Metasynth but it isn't a host.

I guess it's the usual problem - a small subset of a small part of a small number of technically minded people want something done for them and can't find anyone who wants to do it. It's why people end up doing things themselves.

Return to “MUTOOLS”