Aly James Lab releases VSDSX SDSV Drums

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VSDSX SDSV Drums

I'm pretty excited for this drum kit but one question. The author notes that the hi-hats are samples. Was that the case with the original SDSV or am I missing something? Could Simmons sue over that?

Do Simmons exist anymore?

Kind of... http://simmonsdrums.net/

Somebody owns the name.

arkmabat wrote:Could Simmons sue over that?
Does Eric Persing work for Simmons?

Wonderful like everything from Aly James! Bought... aehh... donated! :lol:
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Numanoid wrote:
arkmabat wrote:Could Simmons sue over that?
Does Eric Persing work for Simmons?
I think he works for Roland. Don't get me wrong... I'm loving the sound demos of this drum synth though.

Edit: Oh. Gotcha haha. :D
Last edited by arkmabat on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

valerian_777 wrote:Wonderful like everything from Aly James! Bought... aehh... donated! :lol:
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/aly-james- ... dows-26496

Yes, Mr. James is developing an excellent reputation. I didn't know I needed a Simmons emulation but the VSDSX is so well done maybe I need to reconsider!

"Recognizing the need is the primary condition for design."
-- Charles Eames, American designer

Recognizing the need...and satisfying it completely!
:tu:
바보

Only the Hihat & Cymbal modules were indeed a mix between analog noise source and a short digital sample (very short part of a cymbal hit) looping forever onto the card module.
You can find a deep information at the great simmonsmuseum.com website by Wolfgang Stoelzle
And I will add details into the upcoming VSDSX manual as well.
http://blog.simmonsmuseum.com/?p=130
Honestly any part taken from any real recorded would produce the same result as it is a very small part :)
What I did is finding the raw waveform looping point, comparing with actual recording of SDS-V and find actual original sample rate that would feat into a 2732 EPROM. The emulated internal circuitry takes care of the filtering.
I don't think anybody could sue over that :)
The special character comes from the fact that the sample is 8bit, mixed with noise, looped in a particular way and the speed (sample rate) controlled by the 555 timer is affected by the bending amount.
The cool thing in VSDS-X VST is that it also feature a voice similar to the SDS1 which was basically the same thing as a hihat/cymbal card but with the possibility the load your own EPROM in easily.
For those who use the VLINN VST I have made the EPROM format compatible! So instead of the linear 8bit format and linear 8bit DAC you have a u255 companded format and AM6070 emulated DAC for the custom EPROM voice.
You just have to make your sample 8bit prior to make the EPROM image if you want the exact same bit resolution as the original.
u255 companded format is able to reproduce a 12bit range but can store it in 8bit space, so if you store 8bit data you will still have 8bit resolution :)
I found it user friendly to keep compatible format between the two VSTs.

The internal tweaking available to the user make VSDS-X very versatile and powerful sounding, especially the fact that you can push hard a voice volume up to analog clipping which affect the waveform and harmonics, this + harmonics and filtering generated by the emulated circuitry.
You can go way far than the typical Simmons sound! remember that most of the time drummers used the internal SDS-V presets to avoid tweaking the beast, saving precious studio money time...
The LFO also brings you into SDS3 territory..

hope that helps!

Dang. You have me sold. Great work. Expect a paypal from me later today. Can't wait to route midi from my Roland kit into this!

I've been waiting for this a very long time! I really love the SDS-V sound and you nailed it! Great work!!!
i7 9700K @ 4.6 GHz - Asus Prime Z390-A - Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB - RME HDSPe AIO + XLR balanced breakout - 2x Iiyama PL2492H - Novation Impulse 61 - Evolution UC-16 - Clavia Nord Lead 2 - Yamaha S80

Broken link for the free manual. Please fix when you can. Thanks!

made the donation as soon as the date turned 07/01/14.
i've been waiting for an SDS emu of this quality for years !

arkmabat wrote:Broken link for the free manual. Please fix when you can. Thanks!
its not broken, it is simply not there yet ahahaah I am a little late on it but it should be there tomorrow :)

Got it today and it sounds great! Only thing is, the gui is stuck at the startup screen. Anyone else have this issue?

arkmabat wrote:Got it today and it sounds great! Only thing is, the gui is stuck at the startup screen. Anyone else have this issue?
Are you Ethan? someone called Ethan as reported me this behavior but I don't know what system he is running yet :)
Only one beta tester have had this issue on Live 9 x64, using JBridge. It was a bridging issue and it has been solved by using the last version of JBridge.

As far as I know GUI behaves fine in reaper x64 using the built in bridge :)

Return to “Instruments”