Dangerous Cubase Issue affecting Melda plugs

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

I have a rather bad issue: when I am in MRhythmizer editing the curves (time, vol, filter), I can select multiple points using a mouse rectangle and then hit delete on the keyboard to delete the points. It works. But here is the dangerous thing: the delete key is apparently passed through to Cubase and Cubase interprets it, too. So if some midi event or anything is selected in Cubase, it will also be deleted. That shouldn't happen, right? It made parts of my song disappear and I was puzzled how that happened until I just now found out.

This also happens when editing a custom shape response curve in MCompressor, however it does not happen when editing transfer curves for modulators or custom shapes for LFOs.
Last edited by CableChannel on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cubase issue? is there an option to send all the keyboard input to the plug-in?

It's OK in Reaper (with or without that option being selected)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

OK I changed the title while it's not clear where the problem is located.

Not at the PC right now, I will check that option later.

The thing is, the plugin cannot control what host does. We are lucky we can actually get the keyboard messages on Windows :), on Macs it's much worse. It sometimes seems like the hosts are from 80ths... Anyway I'll check, but it's about 0% chance it can be changed on the plugin's side.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I looked in the options but I don't find any setting concerning keyboard input of plugins in Cubase.

If I think of it, the only situation where I use the keyboard in other plugins is when I type values into text input boxes. What I type there is of course not interpreted by Cubase again. Hitting the del key in a text box does not delete any selected events.

Vojtech, is there any difference between the LFO shape / Modulator transfer editing with which it works correct? I think these are popup windows. Anything configured differently on plugin side with these?

I really hope this get's sorted because it has a lot of damage potential.

Ok CableChannel, please tell me exactly with which window you have this "damage potential". From your description it looks like the one you were complaining about is now considered "correct". So I'm lost.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Sorry if there was confusion.

These don't work correctly:
- MCompressor response curve custom shape (in the main window)
- MRhythmizer all three shapes (tabs for time, vol, filter, in the main window)

These do work correctly:
- LFO custom shape (editable in popup window, all plugins)
- Multiparameter/Modulator transfer shape (editable in popup window, all plugins)

With screenshots :-)

Does not work:

Works:

Works:

I have had this same issue with other plugins in Cubase. BFD3 for one.

Aaaaah, then you have to ask Steinberg CableChannel, but I don't think they will agree with you.

It is the main window, that causes the problem. Basically, the main plugin window is usually the biggest trouble - host controls what it gets and how the whole messaging system is processed. In many hosts on Mac for example the plugins just don't get keyboard events, or only when focused internally etc... The plugin then says if it handles the message and of course there's a room for user error - you select some points and press delete - the plugin knows it uses the message, so it returns to the host that it has been processed and nothing else should be done. If this happens (you delete both points in the plugin and say a part/track in the host), then there is a bug in the host. However the user error - you select points, but then click away from the plugin, press delete, and of course, the host will process the message, so you delete a track for example.

And there's a grey area if you for example select points, then click into the Cubase's plugin window (which is the plugin from the user perspective, but technically it is Cubase) and then press delete. In this case my guess would be Cubase will delete the track instead of sending the message to the plugin window, which in my opinion would be a bug, though I think this would happen.

Anyway in all cases I'm afraid the host is to blame and there's absolutely nothing we can do on our side (except for "not passing the message in any case", which wouldn't solve the problem and is riddiculous anyway).
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:The plugin then says if it handles the message and of course there's a room for user error - you select some points and press delete - the plugin knows it uses the message, so it returns to the host that it has been processed and nothing else should be done. If this happens (you delete both points in the plugin and say a part/track in the host), then there is a bug in the host.
I agree with that.
However the user error - you select points, but then click away from the plugin, press delete, and of course, the host will process the message, so you delete a track for example.
That's fine, would be a user error.

And there's a grey area if you for example select points, then click into the Cubase's plugin window (which is the plugin from the user perspective, but technically it is Cubase) and then press delete. In this case my guess would be Cubase will delete the track instead of sending the message to the plugin window, which in my opinion would be a bug, though I think this would happen.
I don't understand what you mean by "Cubase's plugin window"?
Anyway in all cases I'm afraid the host is to blame and there's absolutely nothing we can do on our side
OK I will contact the Steinies about this.

PS: I changed the title according to the findings.

PS: Vojtech do you know why hitting the del key when in a value text box does not cause a problem? Is a text box something different than the main window for Cubase?

Plugins are not shown "as they are", they are a so-called "control in a window". Look at the cubase's plugins window - the top title and buttons and stuff below are not part of the plugin. The plugin is below and is part of the window, not "the window".

Del key doesn't cause a problem in text box, because these are popup windows, same as our popup windows you meantioned working.
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”