Teenage Engineering OP-1 Review

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boo-J8jeZjI

Had a few people ask me what I thought of the OP-1, so I decided to do a quick video review.

Way cool, thanks for that.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I thought about buying this once, but so far it's kind of just a fancy toy.

If someone did this same idea and put a better DSP system in it and a keyboard like the Keith Mcmillen QuNexus i would be all for this.

In the mean time I'll be using a QuNexus and a Ipad
:borg:

I mostly use a Qunexus and iPad as well lately, but there's still something that just feels different about a purpose built instrument like this. Combining the two is what I plan on focusing on this week :)

Tarekith wrote:I mostly use a Qunexus and iPad as well lately, but there's still something that just feels different about a purpose built instrument like this. Combining the two is what I plan on focusing on this week :)
It's a fun idea, i won't deny that but for the price it's just too expensive for me to justify for a serious piece of studio hardware when I can get better cheaper alternatives.

I suppose if i had spare money i would pick this up for a fun flashy midi controller and something to show my friends.

Anyhow disregard my post, I'm not trying to be all whiny. I think your video is pretty cool!
:borg:

Thanks!

V0RT3X wrote:It's a fun idea, i won't deny that but for the price it's just too expensive for me to justify for a serious piece of studio hardware when I can get better cheaper alternatives.
I wonder if they'll ever drop the price ?

It's too high at the mo' for an impulse buy...

I think they will have to drop the price, considering you could get both of the new electribes for the price of one OP-1.

there's obviously a lot in there but it still reminds me of the
Casio VL-1.

you have to *loathe* their everything-on-card series... :D

nice review, thanks.... if it would cost 600€ = insta buy. now I must think about. 800 or 900€ is a lot of cash :(

Good review. Just got one, and agree there is a lot more depth than is readily apparent. Really seems like the tape function is the centerpiece of the unit, as it encourages getting audio down and mixing the various synthesis and sampling engines. The sequencers are probably the nicest surprise, as they add quite a lot beyond the keyboard input.

Also discovered a super secret control not listed in the online guide (at least that I could find): while playing in loop mode, shift + left/right moves the loop section. Good for keeping a phrase going in a live set, then switching to another phrase on the fly.

Very cool device. Expensive yes, but quite robust in what it can do, especially when factoring in the sampling capabilities. I only wonder if the irony of the Marx picture was intentional or not, as this synth never would have seen the light of day without capitalism.

jbw wrote:Also discovered a super secret control not listed in the online guide (at least that I could find): while playing in loop mode, shift + left/right moves the loop section.
Actually this function is listed in the "Shift" section of the guide.

Crazy though, OP-1 always sends MIDI out, whether in MIDI mode or not. So you can use the sequencers to control external software/hardware. 8) Although the sketch sequencer doesn't seem to work because of the pitch bend.

At any rate, this is a great little device! :party:

great review! really cool... it's kind of like a self-contained miniature production studio.

Thanks everyone, glad you found it useful!

Very cool, but too expensive for me :(.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”