GPU (graphics card) for early 2008 mac pro

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all-

as I am finalizing my attempt to milk my early 2008 Mac for another few years, one of the remaining upgrades I am considering is a new GPU. Right now, I have a stock ATI Radeon 2600XT in the machine. I also have a nVidia GeForce GT 120 sitting in a box in my closet. It was the stock base GPU for the 2009 model, but I've never used it and I've heard it would be a minimal performance upgrade. I've done some research and it appears that if I want a bit more boost, I could go with any of the GeForce GTX660, or the Radeon HD5770 or 4870. There are pluses and minuses to each of these along the bang/buck continuum. I understand that the GTX660 would be fastest, but I also understand that I would lose my boot screen.

The question is this: for audio production (primarily MIDI and VI's) in Digital Performer, does the GPU make a big difference? Is there any point in upgrading and if I do it will I notice a performance boost in terms of scrolling or ability to run more VI's? If I do the upgrade, should I use the GT120 that is in my closet or pay up to go with something better? Lastly, if I got with the GTX660, does it make a difference that I would lose my boot screen? What are the disadvantages of that situation?

Thanks!
Mac Pro early 2008 2x2.8 GHz quad-core Intel Xeon with 10 GB RAM, 250GB SSD boot drive. Mavericks 10.9.4, DP 8.06 64 bit, MF 3, Ethno 2, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, K5, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Add. Drums.

The GPU makes no difference.
There is no performance boost for 2D display of objects.
You will not be able to run more VI's.
You should not upgrade unless you are wanting to play games or do CAD work.
The disadvantages of upgrading is you might f**k it up.

metamorphosis wrote:The GPU makes no difference.
There is no performance boost for 2D display of objects.
You will not be able to run more VI's.
You should not upgrade unless you are wanting to play games or do CAD work.
The disadvantages of upgrading is you might f**k it up.
That is a great response. Concise and lets me know what I need to know. Thank you! You probably just saved me some major headaches.
Mac Pro early 2008 2x2.8 GHz quad-core Intel Xeon with 10 GB RAM, 250GB SSD boot drive. Mavericks 10.9.4, DP 8.06 64 bit, MF 3, Ethno 2, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, K5, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Add. Drums.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”