Song & Video created at u-he

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So my wife has that nice advantage that she can use our resources as she pleases. The following track was recorded and produced at u-he headquarters with Hans Hafner and Gareth Jones (of Depeche Mode fame), using all Diva, ACE and Zeebs for the synths. We then also created an After Effects plug-in because I always wanted to do an ASCII Art movie - of course others did that before, most notably Beck, but I think we went a few steps further. We'll be releasing the plug-in once we find time to polish it a bit.

Here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYuNiL9Hikc

I really need you all to watch this because it's also Jayney's birthday and she would be very happy to get a few views! And who knows, maybe she doesn't need to stay a one hit wonder until the end of time.

And if you like the song, it's also a free download from Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/jayney-2/weird-feeling-2

Enjoy,

- Urs

P.S.: I think Vevo has this video exclusively for a few days. I wished you all could see the uncompressed version.
Last edited by Urs on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

And this song, voices excepted, is entirely made with u-he products, drums and percussions included ?

This sounds rather like a real masterwork on that point..!

Otherwise it also reminds me for many reasons and with equal quality (overall smoothness, melody and vocal style) of the "Rays Of Light" production of Madonna's release of ...very late of last Century !

Nah, just synths are u-he - I must admit I don't know exactly what was used for drums - Hans is a drum me rby trade so I think a lot of percussions are played & recorded. The guitar is real too. The FX are part u-he and part UAudio.

Indeed, Ray Of Light is what came to my mind as well, albeit for another - yet unreleased - song :clown: I think that one of the main objectives was not to be too eighties but still retain some of Jayney's past.

This is great Urs! Congrats all around on a job well done. It looks like a lot of work went into that video.
I also got a bit of a Madonna vibe, though I was think of 'Bedtime Stories' era (with better sounds ;)). That is a compliment, even from me.

Great stuff. I got the Madonna vibe too - only the vocals were much better. Sounds like a bunch of old pros got together and whipped one out. Good job, everyone.

stupid vevo not avalible in my country.

This sounds great. I'm starting to really love u-he stuff :D

Hope to see the video soon too! let me know when downloading is avalible

I'm wondering if a graphic synthesizer software as very likely, Studio Artist was involved in some parts of this video ? : http://studioartist.ning.com

Krakatau wrote:I'm wondering if a graphic synthesizer software as very likely, Studio Artist was involved in some parts of this video ? : http://studioartist.ning.com
No, it's all filmed / photographed and then transformed into ASCII Art using our After Effects plug-in. Then half of the transformed footage was printed out partly on a matrix printer, partly on a laser printer, cut out with scissors and re-photographed in stop motion. The first chorus, second chorus and second verse were not printed but edited in After Effects with standard effects (Chroma Key, matte tools, Layer Effects, Hue/Saturation, Layer Blend Modes). Backgrounds were made out of crumbled paper.

The only parts that were not based on photo or film are expanding circles (simple mask animation in AE), some ASCII Art (titles, syringes, arrows) and the chemical formula for Adrenalin.

Most filming was done with playback of the song at double speed, so that we'd get a 15 frames/second slow motion. We deliberately left it at 15 frames because otherwise it would look, hmmm, odd. The jaggy look simply looked more authentic.

Cheers,

- Urs

The Aircrash Proyect wrote:stupid vevo not avalible in my country.

This sounds great. I'm starting to really love u-he stuff :D

Hope to see the video soon too! let me know when downloading is avalible
strange enough, I saw it on screen.yahoo.com today but now it's gone?!?

I hope that it'll be on more platforms by the end of the week, preferredly some with higher bitrates ;)

Bubbamusic wrote:Great stuff. I got the Madonna vibe too - only the vocals were much better. Sounds like a bunch of old pros got together and whipped one out. Good job, everyone.
Thanks, Jayney and the guys will love to hear that :)

Urs wrote:
Krakatau wrote:I'm wondering if a graphic synthesizer software as very likely, Studio Artist was involved in some parts of this video ? : http://studioartist.ning.com
No, it's all filmed / photographed and then transformed into ASCII Art using our After Effects plug-in. Then half of the transformed footage was printed out partly on a matrix printer, partly on a laser printer, cut out with scissors and re-photographed in stop motion. The first chorus, second chorus and second verse were not printed but edited in After Effects with standard effects (Chroma Key, matte tools, Layer Effects, Hue/Saturation, Layer Blend Modes). Backgrounds were made out of crumbled paper.

The only parts that were not based on photo or film are expanding circles (simple mask animation in AE), some ASCII Art (titles, syringes, arrows) and the chemical formula for Adrenalin.

Most filming was done with playback of the song at double speed, so that we'd get a 15 frames/second slow motion. We deliberately left it at 15 frames because otherwise it would look, hmmm, odd. The jaggy look simply looked more authentic.

Cheers,

- Urs
I see, i'm afraid of being wrong again...

:)

...just in case a soft like the one i've mentioned (i'm a beginner on that one, in fact) is focused on emulating graphic and painting technique to be then applied to photographies as well as video sequences

For those who couldn't see it... it's up on Youtube from today, even in Germany.

I've changed the first post to embed it 8)

nice song, nice vibe, great airy production and Jayney's vocals are indeed better than Madonna's, but i miss Madonna's accessoires in the video. :oops: :hihi:

:tu: :clap:
"It dreamed itself along"

mellotronaut wrote:i miss Madonna's accessoires in the video.
That now is a privilege that's exclusive to me :clown:

Return to “Music Cafe”