Dawn of men, acoustic ethnic instruments experiment

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This morning I was inspired to record several ethnic acoustic instruments I have at home.
I wanted to recreate a very "primordial" mood, somewhat inspired by africa but however i don't think the music is itself tribal or related to african tradition.

https://soundcloud.com/bosone-2/dawn-of-men

i started with a very small kora (the ones you usually found at flea markets...) and added an home made mbira. then I used several percussions, a big wooden drum and several smaller bongos.
I completed the rhytmic arrangement with a shaker, a crash cymbal, some cowbell like small percussions bought in uruguay and finally a wooden jaw harp and a small wooden flute

Everything was played live and then and edited in sonar 8.5 (no samples)

let me know your thoughts! :)

Very interesting experimentation...especially with the introduction of a non-western/achromatic scale

A plausible next step in composition, might be the introduction of virtual instrument and creative effects, but not necessarily
So i assume theirs no regions in these soundtakes, following the "oldskool technique" of tape multitrack re-recordings, they're some feels you probably can't reproduce with sequencers '

thanks!
I appreciate the comment...
I'm going to produce the video for this recording... stay tuned... it will showcase the instruments used and i hope it will be interesting and curious! :P

Good work - liked the vid too.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Return to “Music Cafe”