Glitches in Live - is Diva to blame?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Right this is a weird one, but Ableton has replicated the problem, so it's not just me.

Using the arrangement window in Live and on the first play through of a largish set, the audio output will glitch the moment an instance of Diva is asked to play something for the very first time. No further glitches will be heard again due to that instance of Diva. Neither later in the track, or if the track is played again from the start.

Every midi track containing Diva will cause a glitch the moment it is asked to play for the very first time. If Diva is set to a high quality then it glitches noticeably more.

Second, or later, runs through of the very same set do not cause any glitches. It's like Live needs to play Diva at least once to sort something out. Rendering causes no glitches either.

It does seem to be related to CPU since it only happens with larger sets. However, task manager's CPU rarely reads over 25% during the track.

Has anyone else encountered this with Ableton Live? I'm pretty sure it does it with other VST but recent tests suggest it is Diva only.

My current set up:

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
Intel i7 3770 3.4GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 210
RME Fireface UCX

Live 9.1.4 32-bit

But it also happened on my older i5 XP set up with a Delta 1010.

Tony

Which revision of Diva do you use?

We did (and still do) move a lot of initialisation/resets into the render calls, simply because multithreading has drawn some things into the realm of uncertainty. I know that some hosts don't process plug-ins unless they expect output, but I wasn't ware of Live being one of them.

But hmmm, there's not really much that Diva needs to do. It shouldn't be a big deal, and it's certainly less initialisation than, say, Zebra.

Another explanation is, Diva's code is quite huge. If the host renders a plug-in for the very first time it's possible that the code was still paged out to the hard drive. It might take a split second to then actually load the code (I will investigate that...)

Cheers,

- Urs

Same here. I get the audio dropouts too in Live with Diva (latest build) as described. Mac OS / Diva AU. I usually keep Diva in Draft / Best mode. Multithreading off.

Had this in the last couple versions of Diva, not just the latest. Hope that helps.

I have also experienced this in session mode with latest evrsion of diva. At first I thought they were the normal pops and cracks form CPU overload. I ahd tons fo problems until I discovered it was my CPU getting to hot, I changed the fan and now it runs cooler.

but these specific diva glitches (at the beginning of a clip) are still present. By the way I have lots of presets in the MIDI program folder.

Urs, please let us know if you have any requests for testing.

Thansk!
dedication to flying

To be clear, this also happens in Session View. I can have a track playing, load an instance of Diva on a new channel, pick a patch and the first note will cause a dropout.

Hmmm, does it happen since 1.3 (Digital Osc/Uhbie/Arpeggiator) or since a later build?

Also, what version of Live is everyone on?

Urs wrote:Hmmm, does it happen since 1.3 (Digital Osc/Uhbie/Arpeggiator) or since a later build?
It's happened for as long as I can remember. Certainly before 1.3.
I'm on 9.1.4 but it has happened on all earlier versions as far as I remember. I'm not convinced it's just Diva doing this but it's the only thing doing it in the sets I'm currently working on.

Tony

Synthbuilder wrote:
Urs wrote:Hmmm, does it happen since 1.3 (Digital Osc/Uhbie/Arpeggiator) or since a later build?
It's happened for as long as I can remember. Certainly before 1.3.
I'm on 9.1.4 but it has happened on all earlier versions as far as I remember. I'm not convinced it's just Diva doing this but it's the only thing doing it in the sets I'm currently working on.

Tony
Me too, I am on 9.1.4 and diva 2570
dedication to flying

Me too, I thought that it was a pc problem and honestly I did't think about it so much but if you need some data for bugfixing please just ask!
I'm on live 64 bit, windows 8 and lastest Diva (beta) and Ableton.
God save the Groove!

I can't say for certain on the first question.

I'm on Live 9.1.4, but this has been occurring on previous versions as well.

Just tried Diva 2570 with Reaper 4.61. Bad glitches / big CPU spikes. Changing quality / multi-threading had no effect.

Went back to previous version I was using (2165) and it works fine.

UPDATE:
Very quick test of a few versions of Diva (32bit) on Reaper 4.61 (32bit), Win7.
2165 - OK
2228 - OK
2242 - OK
2352 - OK
2570 - Bad glitches / No audio / High CPU / etc.

Any word on this?

We fixed an issue that has come in with the multi-MIDI-channel support and that roughly translates to the things mentioned here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=419732

Please let us know if that cures things for you :)

Urs wrote:Please let us know if that cures things for you :)
It most certainly did. :tu:

No more glitches on first play through in Live. :hyper:

Tony

2709 works for me.

Return to “u-he”