I got the one-off noise again

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seems once in a blue moon I'm getting noise from ACE and Diva, a sort of quiet buzzing sound perhaps caused by interactions between other plugins. Sounds a bit like oscillator leakage or a memory leak?

Here's something new I learned about it, and worth noting because this very rarely happens - the noise is NOT created when the synths (ACE or Diva) are in POLY mode. ONLY when in MONO and legato modes.

Closing and re-instantiating either plugin doesn't help. It just seems that every 1/30 project of mine runs into this problem and I can't use my favourite synths unless they're in a polyphonic mode.

Very strange. Anyone else had this?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I have not had that... Any other info about when it happens? Is it there even when not playing? Is there some other particular plug-in that is in those projects? What versions? Does turning down the plug-in volume affect the sound?

The noise is quiet - it barely shows up on an oscilloscope placed right after the plugin. But it's very bright and buzzy, and by the time you add extra processing, it can be a bit unruly. Noise gates help, but the problem I have with that is that over time then noise gets louder, so I end up raising the threshold on the gate. It's best to just not use ACE or Diva should this problem strike. Thankfully it's very rare.

The sound is scaled by the master volume, but not affected by the filter, so it's probably happening after the main sound generation in the plugin. The only way I can affect it within the GUI is by either turning the master volume down, or switching to polyphonic mode, in which case the noise completely disappears. Otherwise, it runs continuously.

Luckily the problem arose fairly early on in this project. I have a couple of tracks of analog gear recorded, run through Bifilter 2 and NASTY DLA. Aly James Lab VSDSX Drum machine, run through Effectrix and The Glue. Silverbox run through Bitcom and Pancake. The Glue on the master buss, and Uhbik-A on a send.

That is it. Quite a sparse project at the moment.

Removing all other plugins doesn't alleviate the noise, but if I were to start a fresh project, ACE and Diva will not have the problem, and in all likelyhood it won't rear it's head until at least another 10 projects' time.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

This might be the input. It was considered a bug back then, but all our synths allow audio to be fed into them and be processed by the fx section. So far we hadn't had too much trouble, but if it's a problem with a host with a lazy buffer cleansing, then we need to take it out.

That sounds plausible. My DAW is Cubase 6.5. I mainly use it out of convenience - better the devil you know :)

The fact that it goes away in poly mode made me suspect it might be something in the code for the mono voicings.

It seems I'm literally the only person to get/discover this bug, though. Which is weird.

Return to “u-he”