Recording Midi Out from arpeggiator

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I create a rack with a chord generator or arpeggiator (eg tonespace, cthulhu, kirnu) before an instrument (eg Basic Synth), I get audio out fine but cannot figure out how to record the MIDI OUT for the arpeggiator, even if I create a track for each. All I can record in the sequencer is the MIDI IN from my keyboard. I also tried creating a Session MUX with separate racks/tracks for arp and synth, and a track for Event Out, but same thing happened. What step am I missing?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

You're missing a piece of virtual MIDI cable to route from MuLab's MIDI Out to MIDI In.

Which one would you recommend?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I wouldn't, I'm afraid, because I don't use them.

Thank you for the tip. I am in OSX so can use built-in IAC Driver as event output in session mux.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Not sure I understand you. I just put a free arp plugin before a synth plugin and recorded a couple of bars, saved it, and loaded it. It plays just like I recorded it.

In the sequencer what the arp plays is symbolized by a horizontal bar for the note I press when triggering the arp. I can move that bar up and down to change the note of the arp and also horizontally to put it at the right time slot.
You can also add triggered notes to the sequencer with the mouse in the edit mode.

But what the arp as such does (octave range, backwards, shuffle etc.) is stored as an arp preset along with the session (just like every synth patch seems to be saved that way, even if you have never saved your brass patch or whatever), not in the sequencer.

What the arp does is take a MIDI Event in and turn this into a stream of MIDI Events on its MIDI Out. The question was how to save this stream of MIDI Events.

Oh, I see. I wonder if he has managed to record that data meanwhile...

Is there already a midi event recorder ? ..or still not ..if so then Mutools is not commercial

I would imagine (as a non-commercial user) that there are many commercial applications of MuLab that would have no need of this. In fact, it's pretty much limited to one use case - recording MIDI output from an effect - and there is a viable work around for both Windows and Mac, so it's not really a constraint.

(Edit) I'd add that recording the MIDI output is also only needed in a limited number of cases of using a MIDI effect -- I would expect the vast majority of users only to be interested in the result of the output on the rest of the signal chain, as with any other effect.

Of course, if this is the only thing you wanted to use MuLab for, it might be a disincentive.
Last edited by pljones on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

janhardo wrote:Is there already a midi event recorder ? ..or still not ..if so then Mutools is not commercial
Sounds almost like an insult :roll:

Yes I record as I described above using IAC Driver (OSX only; Windows different) in session mux. Keyboard midi on track 1; arp midi on track 2. Just as pljones suggested.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Yes I record as I described above using IAC Driver (OSX only; Windows different) in session mux. Keyboard midi on track 1 into arp; arp midi on track 2 into synth. Just as pljones first suggested. I do this to use the midi as he said.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:Yes I record as I described above using IAC Driver (OSX only; Windows different) in session mux. Keyboard midi on track 1 into arp; arp midi on track 2 into synth. Just as pljones first suggested. I do this to use the midi as he said.
I'm really too stupid to comprehend all this, can you just do me a favor and send me the basic project where channel/rack 1 midi out is set to record/or goes trough to channel/rack 2 midi in? :scared:

So I can press record and whatever plays on channel/rack 1 (via virtual keyboard or piano roll events) trough Cthulhu and etc. will come out recorded on channel/rack2 simultaneously. :help:

I'm on OS X too if that makes any difference and basically I don't mind actually jamming and recording midi in having synth on channel's/rack 1 insert slot 2 and midi device on insert 1, recording midi event to arrangement/piano roll, but from there I just want to hook up midi out from that channel/rack and record it to channel/rack 2, so really best way for me to follow and understand is to explore hooked up and done thing :tu:

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

This is an outdated topic. Meanwhile MuLab has an Event Recorder module that makes it easy to record event output from modules eg arpeggiators.

Return to “MUTOOLS”