Compression release times - is calculating time based on bpm completely useless?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been reading up on using compression to create pumping dance beat effects (I'm talking compression applied to the entire drum loop/pattern not individual elements of kit), and there's lots of talk of calculating release times based on bpm - eg, at 120bpm, a quarter note is 500ms, so set the release time to just less than this, and you'll reset the compressor just in time for the next kick drum.

However, my ears are telling me a much shorter release time is necessary.

Can I just check I'm understanding correctly why this is the case - presumably it's because the release time doesn't actually start from the instant the kick drum hits? Am I correct in understanding that it actually starts from when the compressor stops reducing the levels - eg when the sound of the kick drum falls below the threshold. So, if you've got a long boomy kick drum, you'd need a shorter release time (to reset compressor before next kick) than with a short snappy kick.

Also, I'm guessing a lower threshold might need a shorter release time (to reset compressor before next kick), as the compressor would be acting for longer.

Could anyone confirm that I have understood this correctly?

And if so, isn't calculating release times based on bpm completely useless, even as a rough starting point? Surely it would only be useful if you knew exactly after how many ms the compressor stopped reducing the last kick?

Yeah, confirmative... The release stage only starts when the level drops below threshold indeed. And using your ears instead of a calculator is best.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

"However, my ears are telling me a much shorter release time is necessary"

go by your ears, you can read a thousand "cool little tricks" that guys do, there mostly all garbage.....dont get caught up in release times etc... honestly its not that precise.......its a compressor, its not a gate, its not shutting off the sounds and on, its just attenuating it
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

Thanks, good to know - ears it is!

Reading about some of these tricks has definitely helped me know what to listen for tho - I think I've previously neglected the rhythmic possibilities of the release time.

Crank the Ratio up high so you can really hear the effect of the Attack and Release times on the source well. Twiddle Attack by ear until you're getting exactly the punch or squash on the initial transients that you desire, then twiddle the Release until you are getting the swing/groove you want. Then turn the Ratio back down until it's having just the right amount of effect. All by ear.

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Crank the Ratio up high so you can really hear the effect of the Attack and Release times on the source well. Twiddle Attack by ear until you're getting exactly the punch or squash on the initial transients that you desire, then twiddle the Release until you are getting the swing/groove you want. Then turn the Ratio back down until it's having just the right amount of effect. All by ear.
Very clearly explained, thank you :tu:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Correct. It is useless. I never saw the point in the bpm syn'd release on Waves H-Comp.
Cubase user, House producer.

http://soundcloud.com/gavin-jackson

IMO it's not useless. It makes a good starting point when you already have an idea how fast it should be.

GFunk wrote:Correct. It is useless. I never saw the point in the bpm syn'd release on Waves H-Comp.
yeah I recently demo'd H-Comp - having read about the bpm sync'd release I'd presumed they'd implemented some clever programming whereby it would always release just before (eg) the next quarter note irrespective of how long it had clamped down on the note before (ie varying the release time on the fly) - however, it seems to just calculate the beat division in ms for you, so all it really saves you is a quick look at bpm/ms chart or a calculator.
Hermetech Mastering wrote:Crank the Ratio up high so you can really hear the effect of the Attack and Release times on the source well. Twiddle Attack by ear until you're getting exactly the punch or squash on the initial transients that you desire, then twiddle the Release until you are getting the swing/groove you want. Then turn the Ratio back down until it's having just the right amount of effect. All by ear.
Yep, great tip & description - this is the process I've evolved too in using compressors, tho tbh, it's only recently I've started setting them this way, so good to have it confirmed as the right approach!
camsr wrote:IMO it's not useless. It makes a good starting point when you already have an idea how fast it should be.
Fair enough - I suppose it is useful actually to know eg it's 500ms till the next quarter note - so if you want the compressor to release just before then, it's good to know this is the maximum you could use, dial back room this point till the next kick transients come thru.

alligatorlizard wrote:
Yep, great tip & description - this is the process I've evolved too in using compressors, tho tbh, it's only recently I've started setting them this way, so good to have it confirmed as the right approach!
I'd never say it was the "right" approach, just the one that works for me! I basically nabbed it from Stav's excellent book. My comps (Chandler Germaniums) make it easy, as there are no definitive numbers on any of the controls, just 1-11, so I have always just done it by ear.

Return to “Production Techniques”