LinnStrument general questions

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello from Roger Linn and welcome to the LinnStrument forum. Please post here any questions about LinnStrument and either I or Geert Bevin--LinnStrument's principal software architect--will be happy to answer them. We're very excited about LinnStrument and its potential for adding expressive performance to electronically-generated music.

Here is the link to the LinnStruemtn
http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/linnstrument.html

Sorry posted here by mistake.

Roger/Geert: what's the maximum length of a USB cable for stage use?
(And does that length change if the instrument is powered through the power plug instead of the USB bus?)

(I'm assuming there's no provision for midi phantom power, as it's not mentioned anywhere in the docs)

Hi Emf,

The official maximum USB cable length of a high-quality wire, guaranteeing no data loss is 6 feet (1.8m). However, I've personally been using this extender to increase the length by 16.5 feet (5m) and it's working perfectly. Apparently you can even chain several of these extenders to reach even farther.

Hope this helps,

Geert
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

That helps. So, basically it runs at the 12mbit rate? Does it degrade to the 1.5mbit rate?

I haven't tried, but I'd be surprised it works well at Low-Speed USB
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

Other than isochronous requirements, I would expect it to be okay. Midi 5 pin is 31kbit. 48 of those can fit in 1.5mbit.

My question is: how soon can I get one? Days? weeks? months? I've been looking forward to this for years. :)

Rimwolf wrote:My question is: how soon can I get one? Days? weeks? months? ...
that is something what partly depends on you :wink: but - if you do not follow latest activities - it should be available pretty soon at least on preorder :roll:

@rimwolf we'll be announcing the availability and timing very soon. Note though that it's quite certain that the release will be staged with a limited number of devices available in a first batch so that we can catch and fix any problems we might have missed before kicking off the production of larger quantities.

Just discovered LinnStrument support page and user manual update - obviously an indication how close it is :)
Meantime a question - it seems that CC and BendRange assignments (X axis movements are also tied exclusively to pitch bend) are strictly predefined (fixed). Is this supposed to be like that for some specific logical reason or it could change at some point in future?.... of course I understand that os is supposed to be opensource and every one will be able to modify it as needed.

@gjvti, I guess its version 1 of the software - perhaps might change in the future?
also there is something to be said for consistency, rather than being configurable… the CC74 + pitch bend is consistent with the Continuum, so this might encourage synth developers to adopt this. which would make it easier for the end-user, rather than having to configure for every synth.

CC1 is useful, as its a common input, and CC74 isn't, e.g. u-he supports per note on CC1, but not 74, of course they might add. Id have been tempted to include CC11 as well, as this is common for 'expression'.

I wonder if there will be switch for 7/14 bit midi for these (velocity) and the faders?

anyway, Geert knows all this, so Im sure it wil all be in the works, if its felt its needed.

Any payment plan option in the works? Too pricey for me unless paid off in increments.

There are a few options for the assignments, but they are indeed limited to make the user interaction not too overwhelming. We focused on a very accessible v1.0 of the firmware so that the configuration would not put people off. The different MIDI modes are already going to be a lot to grasp for many people. In the future we do plan to have advanced features that are not printed on the front panel, additional assignment options could be part of that if there's enough demand. In the meantime, the open-source nature will obviously allow you to make any changes you want.
gjvti wrote:Just discovered LinnStrument support page and user manual update - obviously an indication how close it is :)
Meantime a question - it seems that CC and BendRange assignments (X axis movements are also tied exclusively to pitch bend) are strictly predefined (fixed). Is this supposed to be like that for some specific logical reason or it could change at some point in future?.... of course I understand that os is supposed to be opensource and every one will be able to modify it as needed.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”