Opinions please: should pedal hi-hat mute closed hi-hat?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I have a conundrum for drummers: I have my foot down on the hi-hat pedal, tappy-tapping away on the hi-hat. My foot pressure eases a little and then presses down again. Naturally, this is happening constantly as I can't keep a perfectly constant pressure on the pedal.

On my MIDI kit, downward pressure on the pedal triggers off a Pedal note event, velocity dependent on how far the pedal moved in the last some small time period. So in this situation, very low velocity. But still a note event.

Should that hi-hat pedal event mute the currently playing sound of a tight closed hi-hat? (Hi-hat pedal mutes every other hi-hat note...)

Well, it isn't reality. If the thing is all the way closed, the thing of pedal as an articulation by note-on isn't really meaningful.

I will say this, using CC4 in BFD, the tight controller zone in effect puts the pedal down. IE: if I restart playback quickly enough at a place in the file where CC4 is in that zone, from even the next more opened zone before it, I hear the actual closing of the pedal.
I think the half-shank type of articulation could be ringing and you get this accidental pedal note-on making that stop, that would suck for me. I would like more than 4 (edit: 'open') zones by CC4, I like all this partially closed action. A tight closed? Well I guess if this happened quickly enough that's the same problem. No, IMO this should not be.
Is there a way to scale the velocity so it needs a lot of pressure to make a note-on? I was set to buy a hihat controller but the company was experiencing slowdowns.
I do a lot of semi-closing before the next hit in the controller lane which is similar but it does not mean pedal except all the way down.
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks.

Yes, that's the thing -- "really" the hi-hat pedal note is wrong... although I guess shifting the pedal position just slightly would produce some small sound... In practice, though, the pedal doesn't know anything except it's been pressed gently so emits a quiet note. I can probably script a filter to prevent really quiet pedal notes passing through. I don't think I can adjust amount of pedal movement at which the pedal note triggers, though, but I'll check that too.

Personally, I don't think any "closed" (or "tight-closed") hi-hat note should get muted by any other note -- the cymbal's closed and thus "fully muted" already, no action should cause further muting. That's my dilemma...

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”