Wanted: Reaktor Guru -- Delay Onset Ring Modulator FX?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to use a ring modulator effect, which I can do in Reaktor, but I want the onset to be delayed so that the sound's attack isn't 'effected'. IOW: I want the effect to ease in as one can do with reverb.

Any suggestions on how to do this?
Last edited by Suntower on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Use an envelope on the ring mod.
If you don't want it to start fading in at the start of the note, delay the envelope.

Yup. Something like this would work.

Instead of the envelope you could use an LFO

Thanks!

Where do I put the audio input?

(Perhaps I wasn't clear. I want to use this as an Audio Insert effect in Cubase.)

Oh, that complicates things a bit. Do you want the ring modulation to fade in on transients the way an auto-wah works on guitar? There's an env follower core cell you can use for that, which would replace the ADSR. In my structure above, the audio in would replace the sawtooth.

It was =kind= of a stupid question. I had not fooled with Reaktor in a while and I forgot how to wire input modules. I have that part sorted.

Here's what I'm going for: I -love- the sound of ring modulator on any number of instruments, like Electric Piano. The problem is that for bass notes it just destroys the note... it makes the pitch of low notes unrecognisable.

But if you could make it like a reverb pre-delay, where the sound is clean for say 100 ms... just long enough for the attack to sound cleanly and -then- the effect sneaks in.

(It just dawned on me: Oberheim and Mutron used to make ring mod pedals. Jan Hammer and Joe Zawinul used them and they must have had something like this.)

SO what I -think- I need is something like this:

Code: Select all

--> VCA  --> RM--->
IN --> ENV FOL --> SPLIT                         MIXER ---> OUT
                                   -->  INV  --> VCA ->  
Sorry for the crappy 'drawing'. Hope it's clear.
The signal goes to an env follower and then a splitter. One of the env follow outs goes to a vca then to the ring mod and then the out. The other env follow out is -inverted- then to a vca. That way it shuts off the signal as the other one opens it up.

This way, the uneffected sound appears for a while, then the env follower kicks in to shut down the uneffect side just as the ring mod side takes over.

I hope that makes sense?

Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”