Komplete Kontrol keybed?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone here been able to put their hands on the NI Komplete Kontrol keyboard that can compare it to some other midi controllers? I read that its fatar and quite good? Can it be compared to Yamaha and other keyboards that have a much smoother play feel than pretty much all existing midi controllers such as Akai, etc.?
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Yeah so far people are loving the feel of it. It's custom made for NI by Fatar according to NI's specs, so it's not a regular off-the-shelf available keybed model.

Am I the only one who thinks that it's a bit pricey for what it does? Don't get me wrong - I like the approach/idea.

EvilDragon wrote:Yeah so far people are loving the feel of it. It's custom made for NI by Fatar according to NI's specs, so it's not a regular off-the-shelf available keybed model.

What other keyboards does it feel similar to?
Last edited by Dewdman42 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elassi wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that it's a bit pricey for what it does? Don't get me wrong - I like the approach/idea.
If the keyboard feels the same as a 90's era big brand synth, or like current semi-weighted motif's, Jupiter-80's, etc..then it will be worth the money.

A lot of the cool features with the LED lights and such are only going to be interesting if and when that becomes generic enough to use with other software besides NI. For example, I use Mainstage, I would absolutely love it if the LED's could show the current Mainstage keyboard split. As a komplete-only controller though, I think yea its kind of pricey

Dewdman42 wrote:If the keyboard feels the same as a 90's era big brand synth, or like current semi-weighted motif's, Jupiter-80's, etc..then it will be worth the money.
Yes, sure, I should have thought twice... :)

elassi wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that it's a bit pricey for what it does? Don't get me wrong - I like the approach/idea.
I suppose if one uses Ableton,Cubase,Nuendo or Logic and their primary VST's are NI...then it would be a worthwhile purchase....but for everyone else,I think the investment would be absurd.

I think it would be hilarious...if the Alesis Vi-series turns out to have a similar quality key-bed,as if this is the case,I would predict that the price of the Komplete Kontrol S series,would drop dramatically in a matter of months after it's release. :hihi:

The Komplete Kontrol S's ribbon pitch and mod controls are interesting...but it has about half the controls of the Alesis Vi. :roll:

To each his own...but no matter how you slice it,it's the sheer novelty of it's unique design and the virtue of it having the Native Instruments label on it,that makes it so expensive and thus(despite the Fatar key-bed),it's indeed,over-priced.

how is the keybed on the new alesis?

Dewdman42 wrote:how is the keybed on the new alesis?
Are you asking me?How would I know??I did not attend the Winter Namm show and the Alesis Vi is not due to arrive until early November.

Seems like the Novation SL MKII is still a pretty clear winner then unless you'er really into your Komplete instruments.

I like it. Feels solid (at least at the trade show). It's on the top of my list to replace my XBoards.

BBFG# wrote:
I like it. Feels solid (at least at the trade show). It's on the top of my list to replace my XBoards.
Heh, I too am replacing an Xboard with it. I preordered... hopefully it'll release some day soon :pray:

Any similar/comparable feeling keybeds to the VI series out there? Can you compare it to the Axiom series? I was digging the crisp feel of the one that I tried out.

I'm looking for something that feels better then both the Axiom and the XBoard. semi-weighted.

what use is this for a guy with maschine already? you can browse presets there too...

thejoo52 wrote:
BBFG# wrote:
Heh, I too am replacing an Xboard with it. I preordered... hopefully it'll release some day soon :pray:

Any similar/comparable feeling keybeds to the VI series out there? Can you compare it to the Axiom series? I was digging the crisp feel of the one that I tried out.
Akai has a good feel (but the new run that I'm not sure has been released yet). It seemed they really listened to the complaints people had in the last design. I'm concerned about the confusion that might happen in trying to buy the new one and somehow getting an old run instead right now though.

And the Alesis guys mentioned they might be doing an 88 model depending on how well the V & Vi does in the market? But right now, they are the top of my list.

I think NI might have convinced me more with a 37 key version?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”