Shreddage Bass - how to fake G-tuning?

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I bought the Shreddage 2X and Shreddage Bass bundle. The Guitar tuning goes down to G and the bass only to A#. I'd like to be able to at least fake the missing range in the bass samples by detuning. I duplicated the Shreddage Bass instance in Kontakt 4, tuned it down by 3 semitones, set it to midi channel 2 (non-detuned instance being 1) and used some midi routing plugins from my DAW to only send notes from the missing samplerange (G,G#,A) to the detuned instance and also transposed them to compensate for the -3 semitone detune. So now I have artificially extended the range down to G. Doesn't sound super great but at least it is a start.

1) Is there a better way to do this?
2) If not maybe this guide is at least helpful to someone else trying to figure this out.
3) Do you think it would sound better if I didn't use Kontakt's detune option and used a pitch shifting plugin instead? Reaper has Élastique 2.28 Pro/Efficient/Soloist algorithms with a bunch of presets available. Would anything else be better? Pitch shifter in Guitar Rig 4 or 5 maybe?
4) Would it be better to pick a different source-sample range to detune? E.g. take G-to-A one Octave above my target range?

We are definitely planning on recording Shreddage Bass 2 which would go down to G... that's been the plan for awhile, it's just a matter of finding the right person to record it.

One way to do it is just by increasing the pitch bend range and drawing in quantized/snapped pitch automation while playing A# notes (i.e. automate the pitch right before the note starts and leave it there).

1. Hit the wrench icon for the instrument in Kontakt
2. Click Edit All Groups
3. Find the dropdown menu that says Pitch Bend and look at the slider to the right... increase the value of that slider to 3 st (semitones)

Now you can bend the instrument down when you need to. REAPER's elastique algorithms are certainly better if you don't mind not working in real time.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Thanks for the quick reply. I think the rerouting certain notes to a detuned instance of the instrument works better for me than the pitch bend. I went with the élastique 2.28 Pro algorithm (Parameter set to: Synchronized - Normal) and it works just fine in real-time :). Reaper has it integrated as a VST plugin called "ReaPitch". There are few (if any at all) algorithms in that plugin that don't work in realtime on my computer.

Good to hear there will be a Shreddage Bass 2. Keep up the great work!

Return to “Impact Soundworks”