Crashing when saving presets

Official support for: kv331audio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Everytime when using "save as" function Synthmaster and DAW crash. Crashing occurs before saving (the preset is not saved). Saving with the other button (overwrite) works normally.

I use the latest synthmaster x64 and Reaper x64. The last synthmaster version did not have this problem. Reinstalling did not help at all.

Funny, I just had a crash this morning ("Studio One has stopped working"). I can't remember if I used "save as" or "overwrite", but the preset was saved, and worked correctly after relaunching.
Studio One 3.5.6 Pro
Win 7 x64
Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz
Behringer UMC404HD
No talent.

I can save a freshly initialized preset, but after any alterations it always crashes.

Myself I don't use it anymore as long as there is not a huge rewriting of the synth. Too many, too many, too many issues. There is just to see the list of the topics: 80% of the topics are alerts about bugs and crashes, for a long time now...

Free to everyone to use this synth, sure. But for me it was too much time lost, and I've decided to stop to struggle with bugs whatever I do instead of really playing and composing quietly.

So... I wait for a total rewrite, hoping that it comes one day... Probably that I dream... perhaps no. I prefer to wait and spend my time to something else, much more reliable.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I agree about the bugs: lots of little things that come and go, and are very hard to replicate with a reproducible set of actions, which is what Bulent needs to track them down. I wish he would respond more; I know that he recently moved to a new country, which can be very disorienting. Synthmaster is such a nice synth when it works.

I was able to crash my DAW a few more times by altering a preset, then doing "save as" and clicking on a preset name that was already present in the save dialog box. But after a few crashes, it stopped happening until I rebooted the computer, then it happened once more. At this moment, it won't crash, but the experience adds trepidation to the idea of any serious patch development.
Studio One 3.5.6 Pro
Win 7 x64
Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz
Behringer UMC404HD
No talent.

Crazy thing is I just sent a bug report for this bug today upon discovering a consistent way of replicating it, to replicate...

1.load Synthmaster
2.Select any patch,
3.Rename author of the patch without pressing "enter"
4.Save-as(name it whatever you want)
5.Click save and it should crash if not on the first try it will definitely crash on the second with those steps.

Hope this gets fixed, because I like to edit existing patches to make new sounds...

I tested Reaper 64bit and SM with the crash tutorial from DocShay. It is crash always if you reneame author without pressing enter key / button. But i tested SM under Sonar with this procedure without crash. Its looks like Reaper problem not SM. By the way, i can not make text gap in text, if i use SM under Reaper. If i press spacebar, Reaper start play. Under sonar SM work propertly in this situation.

DocShay wrote:Crazy thing is I just sent a bug report for this bug today upon discovering a consistent way of replicating it, to replicate...

1.load Synthmaster
2.Select any patch,
5.Click save and it should crash if not on the first try it will definitely crash on the second with those steps.

Hope this gets fixed, because I like to edit existing patches to make new sounds...
Dear DocShay and Oberheim 8000,

I'm trying these several times but it didn't crash. I tested with Reaper, Ableton Live, Bitwig and Cubase. But be sure we will check this out again.

Thank you.

G.

There are endless loops in many presets.

For example in this preset among many others:

KEYS Moon elevator lounge

It seems like Synthmaster itself doesn't receive the MIDI event "Note off" on certain presets. It is obvious, for example, with that preset "KEYS Moon elevator lounge". If you press a C3 then take off your finger, then press a G4 then take off your finger, then press a E4, you notice that the problem is exactly that one: the "Note off" event is missed by the synth in this preset.

It doesn't make it in all presets, only on some of them. I have not managed to determine what are the common points between 5 or 6 of these abnormal presets (in fact they seem normal when looking at their parameters on the panels, it is Synthmaster which doesn't treat them correctly when "something" is present in the preset, perhaps a feature set in a voice or somthing like that).
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Also, once again (it has been repeated many, many times), the preset browser is a total mess. Many weird behaviors with the mouse, an impossibility to browse with the arrow keys of the computer keyboard, etc.

The weird behaviors with mouse is not in browser but in all SynthMaster GUI - ADSR, 2DLFO, etc.. ARP. I think SM is use strange or bad rendering user interface.

Oberheim 8000 wrote:The weird behaviors with mouse is not in browser but in all SynthMaster GUI - ADSR, 2DLFO, etc.. ARP. I think SM is use strange or bad rendering user interface.
Yes. I was pointing the browser as a way to tackle this general issue in all the GUI. And for long, for long, for long... it's been a desperately long time that it continues. This has gone on too long, much too long, without the least improvement on this point. And it has been alerted many times. It's at a point that Synthmaster drastically reduces its presence in my works, by total lassitude face to that incredible general issue with the mouse and the computer keys in all the GUI. In many occasion where I could use Synthmaster I even no more open it and prefer to open other tools to avoid to loose so many time with these so bad interactions between the user and a GUI.

DocShay wrote:Crazy thing is I just sent a bug report for this bug today upon discovering a consistent way of replicating it, to replicate...

1.load Synthmaster
2.Select any patch,

and I replied back to you, but still I can NOT reproduce it. I tested with 32bit version of Reaper, 64bit version of Reaper, but still both work just fine. I know this is frustrating for you (as it is for me as well), but if I can not reproduce a problem I can not fix it. I also reviewed by code, and saw nothing buggy in it. The only thing that comes to my mind is the Windows Open File dialog might be somehow causing a problem on your system.

Bulent
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

BlackWinny wrote:Also, once again (it has been repeated many, many times), the preset browser is a total mess. Many weird behaviors with the mouse, an impossibility to browse with the arrow keys of the computer keyboard, etc.
Excuse me ?

If the focus is not on the plugin window, it will not receive keyboard events. I also addressed MacOSX specific keyboard event issues in one of my prior updates.

I just tested Reaper x64 (Windows), the arrow keys work fine for browsing presets.

Bulent
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

It's still crashing for me, too, with Studio One. I started with an initialized patch, made some changes, did Save As and gave it a name, and it crashed my DAW (same message as in my post above in this thread). This time, the patch was not saved. I relaunched the DAW and repeated the process (I created a very simple patch this time) and the same thing happened.

Last time I tried, it would sometimes crash, sometimes not, and would sometimes save the patch. Today, I don't have the strength to try more than twice. It really does not encourage much exploration in this synth. I really want to love it, but it doesn't make it easy.
Studio One 3.5.6 Pro
Win 7 x64
Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz
Behringer UMC404HD
No talent.

Return to “KV331 Audio”