Anyone here using a GK3/GR55 for guitar synth work?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm much more proficient with guitar than I am with a piano keyboard. I'm thinking of getting a guitar and fitting it with a GK3 and running it through the Roland GR-55 to make my writing process easier.

I'm curious...

How well does the GK3/GR55 setup work with external and soft synths? Also, is it better to have a fixed bridge? I was really hoping to fit it to a guitar with a floyd rose. Does the guitar have to stay in E, or can I tune to D and still have it work properly with the GK3?

This is the guitar I'm aiming for. Will the GK3 fit properly behind the rear humbucker?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MH1000STBLK
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Check out a GR-55 specific forum if you don't get an answer here.

I registered, and I'm waiting by approval by the mods to post.

Not for that guitar. There isn't enough room between the bridge and the bridge pickup.

Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Also, is it better to have a fixed bridge?
Yes, I've used GK systems for years and find I get the best results with set neck guitars with tune-o-matic bridges and stop tailpieces. The guitar you've got in mind won't work at all.
How well does the GK3/GR55 setup work with external and soft synths?
Like crap IMHO. The internal sounds track well but I've found that the Roland GI-20,(or better still one of the Axon units), tracks external synths better than any GR series synth.
Does the guitar have to stay in E?
Yes...BUT.....with a device like the VG88, VG99 or new GP10 you have access to any number of instant alternate tunings.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

I'll have to disagree with the Capn a bit here...
CapnLockheed wrote:
Also, is it better to have a fixed bridge?
Yes, I've used GK systems for years and find I get the best results with set neck guitars with tune-o-matic bridges and stop tailpieces. The guitar you've got in mind won't work at all.
Ah- incorrect, sir. Will it work with a GK3? No. Will it work with one of these installed? Yes.
How well does the GK3/GR55 setup work with external and soft synths?
Like crap IMHO. The internal sounds track well but I've found that the Roland GI-20,(or better still one of the Axon units), tracks external synths better than any GR series synth.
Agreed for the most part.
Does the guitar have to stay in E?
Yes...BUT.....with a device like the VG88, VG99 or new GP10 you have access to any number of instant alternate tunings.
Actually, it doesn't- adjusting for down-tuning's part of the GR's system parameters. The guitar I use is tuned to E-flat...

ew
A spectral heretic...

Thanks for all the information. Going to head out this weekend and see if I can scrounge up a system at at local store to test it out.

Ah- incorrect, sir. Will it work with a GK3? No. Will it work with one of these installed? Yes.
Everyone's entitled to an opion. In my personal experience, I've gotten better results from Les Paul type guitars than Strat type guitars....of course, YMMV.
Actually, it doesn't- adjusting for down-tuning's part of the GR's system parameters. The guitar I use is tuned to E-flat...
Down tuning a half or whole step yeah.....I was under the impression the OP was talking
about more esoteric alternate tunings.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

CapnLockheed wrote: Everyone's entitled to an opion. In my personal experience, I've gotten better results from Les Paul type guitars than Strat type guitars....of course, YMMV.
I have a Ghost FR bridge installed on a Les Paul- the Lifeson Axcess uses the same bridge, but uses the piezo output for acoustic instead of using the Hexpander board with a 13 pin output. I use the Hexpander/13 pin option.

It's not something I'd recommend anybody doing on their own unless they're really good with woodworking. I had Brown's Guitar Factory do the install; John Brown knows what he's doing.

ew
A spectral heretic...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”