Korg Nano into step sequencer? Is it possible?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was wondering if i could turn my korg nano 2 into a step sequencer. It has 24 buttons, basically i figured out how to make 1-8 of them a CC# (as pad select) and the other 16 i want to show the tempo flow and activate hits basically just like a korg electribe.

Is this possible to do? if so what plugins would i need to build it?

on the 1-16 button i would need to program the lights to turn on the buttons as the tempo passed through without actually activating the toggle. And when i hit the button it would stay on. The problem is when i hit a pad select the sequence lights on the the 1-16 would have to change to the selected 1-8 pads. How can i do this if all the buttons can only be set to a single note or CC#?

If there was any way to to program this with midi tools, or an existing plugin, please send it my way.

I use Ableton, Energyxt, bidule, and i would not mind using another DAW if it can do what i want.

thanks

Not quite wrapping my head around its entirety, and as far as already existing software, again not really sure what is needed.

It could all be easily done in Synthedit, of which people have stopped using mostly since version 1.1 came out.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I was hoping for a little more specific direction instead of "this program might do it". Do i have to make my own vst for something like this? What is good about Synth edit?

Yeah, i know its a hard question. I guess this is why people still buy hardware. Midi controllers are not as good yet. : (

anyone got any other suggestions?

I've thought about this too,
as I would like something like the hardware sequencer Cirklon.

It is perfectly possible, except for one thing-
in that you can't automate the buttons to light up as the sequence passes them.
So you would have to be in the dark as to where the seq is, if you just look at the nanokontrol.

I can help you do it in Flowstone, if you still want to.
I think a single custom VST is what would be the way.

If anyone has a solution as to turning on the LEDs, I would be very interested to hear and explore it.

Cheers

nix808 wrote:I've thought about this too,
as I would like something like the hardware sequencer Cirklon.

It is perfectly possible, except for one thing-
in that you can't automate the buttons to light up as the sequence passes them.
So you would have to be in the dark as to where the seq is, if you just look at the nanokontrol.

I can help you do it in Flowstone, if you still want to.
I think a single custom VST is what would be the way.

If anyone has a solution as to turning on the LEDs, I would be very interested to hear and explore it.

Cheers
Is there a signal that would be strong enough to trigger the LED but not the midi note? Maybe set the range so it has no effect on the sound? like 3-127 makes a sound, and 0-2 makes LED?

Yes i still would like to to do it without the LED lights. What is this Flowstone thing you speek of? Is it that image line synth? or is it something else.

Cirklon looks expensive and unnecessary.

Cirklon would be king IMO-
I'd love one,
but as said it prohibitively expensive.

So I'm keen mate,
let's do this.
I suggest we put tone/semitone on the faders,
and pitchbend on the knobs(?)[I'd like to have porta, not bend--but it seems problematic].
For this we will have to use 2 scenes for the 16 steps,
so I reckon we use 2 scenes for the button OI too.
This gives us one more button per step to do something with-
maybe turn mod on and off?

Here is Flowstone->
http://www.dsprobotics.com/flowstone.html

You can look at the UIs for my plugins made with it at the Phonics link in my sig,
and run demos

I don't know how long this will take,
I am motivated to do it, but I dunno when really-
as I'm kinda into making some tunes.

You can try 2 sequencers I have built, there is one in the VSTi Entrancer,
and a MIDI sequencer DreamSequence VST.

I will think about this and make a start soon.

nix808 wrote:Cirklon would be king IMO-
I'd love one,
but as said it prohibitively expensive.

So I'm keen mate,
let's do this.
I suggest we put tone/semitone on the faders,
and pitchbend on the knobs(?)[I'd like to have porta, not bend--but it seems problematic].
For this we will have to use 2 scenes for the 16 steps,
so I reckon we use 2 scenes for the button OI too.
This gives us one more button per step to do something with-
maybe turn mod on and off?

Here is Flowstone->
http://www.dsprobotics.com/flowstone.html

You can look at the UIs for my plugins made with it at the Phonics link in my sig,
and run demos

I don't know how long this will take,
I am motivated to do it, but I dunno when really-
as I'm kinda into making some tunes.

You can try 2 sequencers I have built, there is one in the VSTi Entrancer,
and a MIDI sequencer DreamSequence VST.

I will think about this and make a start soon.
ok, i installed it. not really sure what to do with this. Am i supposed to build some kind of midi utility or vst in this? i did not see anything in my preferences that allow me hook up my midi controller.

You going to make a patch in this? I did not see anywhere to get your vsts VSTi Entrancer, DreamSequence. Got a link somewhere?

thank you so much!

So i figured out if you set the LED feedback on the korg kontrol editor too "external" you can send data activating the toggle. so i can watch the tempo go across when i program the buttons too a note and when the note hits it turns the LED light on. I can send the output note from hitting it to the drum sounds, but i cant figure out how when i hit the button for the light to stay on. So i am missing one piece of the puzzle.

I have all kinds of midi utility tools, i just need the concept to program it.

anyone have any ideas?

omg!
You got the toggle to indicate?!
I'm gonna try this now.

In my sig you can find my sequencers.
It is http://www.phonicsaudio.com

In Flowstone we should be able to do cool things.
Will plug the Kontrol in now and get the editor.

edit- to get MIDI in,get the MIDI input dropdown and send the signal over the red'M' pins,
I can help with the FS stuff

Could I get more information on how to do this?
I have the Korg Kontrol Editor connected

edit- I think this is not possible for me as I have the original nanokontrol,
will think about getting the new one

You probably already know this,
but it might help--

You can change the button behaviour in the Kontrol Editor from 'momentary' to 'toggle',
this means the button stays lit in an on/off switch behaviour

ok yall, i figured it out. Basically i set 1-16 buttons to a midi note. I have a sequencer running at all times with a sequential hit for every note on the buttons so it lights up the button momentary as it passes the according note. I set it so when i hit the button i want to stay on it turns on a midi through VST of another sequencer that just continuously hits that note so that light stays on for that button. So i figured out the light situation. The thing is you have to have a 16 sequencers, one for every note of that button and 16 midi through VSTS. plus i have duplicate this set up for every pad i wana sequence. Its kind of ridicules because if i have 8 pads, thats 136 sequencers!!! i dont know any other way to do this. not very cpu friendly.

Maybe someone could refine this? It certainty works though.

I saw earlier in this post that i could set up step sequencer without the lights. Now i just have to set that up in correlation with the system i just built.

Here is a pic of how i did it:
sdvsd.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi!
I did that in USINE, it was in version 5.8, but it still works in HOLLYHOCK. The way I did it was:
The fader was to choose the degree of the scale (from 1 to 15, two octaves), the knob to choose the duration of the step (from 1/128th to 1/2th), and the two buttons to choose if the step is played or not, and silent or not (played AND silent resulting in a silence of the duration, and not played the step is just ignored).
It is a very fun way to sequence! I like the possibility to not use all steps, and to change steps durations, as it allow you to have sequences of different durations, and change it on the fly.

This is the song I did it for, all synth are sequenced with this:

https://soundcloud.com/tana-barbier/03-linstant-dapr-s

It was not that complicated to do, but of course you'll have to do it in a modular environment of some sort, as said in earlier responses.

Have a good day!

I haven't forgotten this,
and will play with the LEDs when my Kontrol2 gets here.
That was a cool track Tana,
do you think you will do another this way?

I have all kinds of sequencer infrastructure ready to cannibalise 8D
If anything cool gets built I will post here and maybe pm, Mister Goo-
I think I saw you over at FS, get in touch with ur schematic if you want

I have a hold on this until I get my hands on the Kontrol2

edit- some information if anyone wants to do this,
it is not a MIDI note on that triggers the light(Ithink)
perchance it is MIDI CC 74(not 144) on different first bytes(ie.note numbers)

Return to “Instruments”