Does anyone here use the SUBPAC to produce with?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I've been thinking about getting one of these things as the room I produce in is far from ideal for bass response from my monitors, and I always seem to have problems concerning my sub bass and kick drum....so with this subpac you basically use headphones to produce with and this thing sits on your chair and provides a very accurate low end which you feel through your body. Its been getting lots of great reviews since its release too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJzAVbptA7o

Does anyone here use one? If so, would you recommend it?

It does look very cool, but no experience with it.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I think if they want to improve on this they need to make a vest version of the subpac.
:borg:

There is a actually a wearable vest version of it, the Subpac M1.

d-s-m wrote:There is a actually a wearable vest version of it, the Subpac M1.

Nice! I bet it's expensive though. Match it up with a pair of Audeze headphones and you got a audiophile setup on the go :o

I wonder what airport security thinks of people packing this around though? :hihi:
:borg:

Its costs £300, which is expensive for what it is. I still really want one tho :D

I got a SubPac S1 on Friday. (Limited edition grey one)

It gives the impression of some pretty incredible sub bass. Easily on par with what you would feel in a club or on a quality big system playing loud.

It's a very unique experience when using it with headphones as usually the only time we feel similar levels of sub is in big rooms with big systems which of course include the rooms sounds/reverb, so being able to hear music with the fidelity of headphones, no room sounds/reverb, and gut shaking sub bass is very novel.

Being able to feel the shape of your bottom end certainly helps when mixing, and makes it all the easier to tell how the bottom end of your track will transfer to the likes of big and club systems.

I've been using it for a day now, and I don't foresee a time when I won't want to be using it, either when listening or producing/mixing. It doesn't take long to just feel a combined part of the experience rather than just having some vibrating plate behind you.

A bonus is that it's actually quite comfy! It improves my posture. I like it how you can adjust the level of how much you feel just by putting more or less pressure on it with your posture, or even just sitting forward to almost eliminate it when you want to reference without it.

My only real criticism is that the intensity knob that is on it doesn't go down low enough IMO. I have it on the very lowest setting, and I felt that was still too much, so I had to reduce the output of my source by 5db. Thankfully my headphones run from a different output connected to a headphone amp, so I was able to turn that up 5db to get my headphones back to the level I like. This could well be an issue for many people who only have one output.

A minor criticism is that it's advertised as shipping with a "1m professional cable with 3.5mm Jacks", and on an unboxing video i'd watched it did indeed come with what appeared to be a quality cable. Mine didn't. It was just a very cheap cable. I've had to buy one, but that's OK as I actually wanted a 2m one anyway and have it jack to mini jack so I don't need to use an adapter.

barryfell wrote:I got a SubPac S1 on Friday. (Limited edition grey one)
Nice! Glad your liking it :)

I'm still thinking about getting one. I had originally planned on upgrading my monitors, but as the room which my set-up is in is far from ideal, I'm thinking I would be better off getting one of these instead (and cheaper too lol).

Am I right in thinking that the Subpac should only really be used with headphones? I'm hearing that you get a lot of feedback if you use it with monitors.

d-s-m wrote:
barryfell wrote:I got a SubPac S1 on Friday. (Limited edition grey one)
Nice! Glad your liking it :)

I'm still thinking about getting one. I had originally planned on upgrading my monitors, but as the room which my set-up is in is far from ideal, I'm thinking I would be better off getting one of these instead (and cheaper too lol).

Am I right in thinking that the Subpac should only really be used with headphones? I'm hearing that you get a lot of feedback if you use it with monitors.
There's no issue using it with monitors.

Just found out that theres a Subpac S2 on the way. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on one of these yet.

d-s-m wrote:Just found out that theres a Subpac S2 on the way. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on one of these yet.
Gah, I just bought the S1! :ud:

All good though. In fact once I find out more about the S2 and it's on sale, (all I can find is that is has "new materials and design for enhanced vibratory field; New tactile transducers for better accuracy and power efficiency; New strapping system"), I may just sell my S1 and buy an S2, as I love it that much. :love:

I'd say you can't put a price on such a useful tool.

I see the SubPac S2 has just been announced.

Product Overview

The Ultimate Seated Tactile Bass Solution

SUBPAC S2

Accurate, immersive, and portable – the SubPac S2 is the latest addition to our line of revolutionary tactile audio systems that have quickly become essential tools for music production and enjoyment from the top studios in LA and London, to basement apartments and bedrooms worldwide. Not just for musicians and producers, the SubPac adds real depth, connection and enjoyment to whatever you play through it – when experienced with the SubPac your tracks, games and movies all come to life with the added dimension of physical bass. Imagine standing in front of a beautifully tuned club system and feeling the bass – this is the experience the SubPac delivers, all without any external noise.

Building on the success of the original SubPac S1, our engineering team has taken a radical approach in redesigning the S2. Featuring an all-new ergonomic design with a flexible strapping solution for your chair, improved materials inside and out, newly optimized tactile transducers, improved battery life and the addition of Bluetooth 4.0 A2DP streaming for casual listening, the SubPac S2 is the most powerful and accurate seated tactile bass solution on the planet. Feeling is believing!
Features

New & Improved Features In the S2 Include:
• New materials and design for enhanced vibratory field
• Optimized tactile transducers for improved accuracy and power efficiency
• New 3-point, removable strapping system to maintain optimal placement on your chair
• New ergonomic shape for maximum contact and longer sessions
• Slimmer control box with multi-positional straps to secure it to your chair
• Flexible control cable for greater ease of placement
• Bluetooth 4.0 input with A2DP streaming
• Higher capacity Li-Ion rechargeable battery – now runs up to 8hrs per charge

Specifications:
• 5Hz – 130Hz Frequency Response
• 3.5mm Stereo Wired Line Input Port
• Bluetooth 4.0, with A2DP Streaming, Wireless Input
• 3.5mm Stereo Headphone Out Port
• Rechargeable Battery: 10.8V, 2300mAh 3-cell Li-ion battery (up to 8 hrs use)
• Charger: 15V 1.6A 24W adapter with international IEC-C7 cables
• Dimensions: 430mm x 305mm x 40mm
• Weight (including battery): 2.3kg
I actually like the S1 that much I might pick up the S2 and sell the S1 at some point down the road. It could well be months until the S2 starts shipping anyway.

There isn't a huge amount that is new that if of that much interest to me though, other than:

• New materials and design for enhanced vibratory field
• Optimized tactile transducers for improved accuracy

I already find the S1 very comfortable so the new shape isn't a big deal for me.

We'll see. :)

I wonder if they've sorted out that issue with the intensity dial you mentioned on this new version, as I've heard from other Subpac owners that its a bad idea to have the dial more than 20%.

Still really want one though lol. I'm hearing a lot of pro producers are saying things like they will never write another tune without using the Subpac.

d-s-m wrote:I wonder if they've sorted out that issue with the intensity dial you mentioned on this new version, as I've heard from other Subpac owners that its a bad idea to have the dial more than 20%.

Still really want one though lol. I'm hearing a lot of pro producers are saying things like they will never write another tune without using the Subpac.
I used it all weekend and just ended up having to turn my output down to get the intensity where I wanted.

I can honestly say though I wouldn't want to write another track without it. The sensation of being able to feel the bass envelope is so good! :party:

I'm more interested in how using it translates to improved mixes.
Wonder whether my advice worth a penny? Check my music at Soundcloud and decide for yourself.
re:vibe and Loki Fuego @ Soundcloud

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”