Mixcraft 7?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since my debacles with Mixcrap 6,I discarded my copy of it and never regretted doing so.Ironically enough,their is an extremely small but loyal cult following of this program(all of whom claim that Mixcrap 6 is a rock solid DAW).
I had purchased my copy about 2 years ago and since Acoustica had been around for over a decade and Sweetwater carried it,I thought it was a worthwhile purchase(though I had my trepidation about it,given the ridiculously low price).
I was also really desperate to find an affordable DAW that supported video and there were simply no other viable options.
Despite the low cost of it,I was still shocked at how insanely unstable it was,as whenever I added 3rd party plug-in's,it created a sh*t-storm of crashing issues.
It was so severe,that every few minutes or so,I had to constantly save my work,due to the consistent crashes and it got to a point where Mixcrap 6 was utterly unusable.
Some people claim,it's a mere matter of configuring your PC(hmmm,why didn't I think of that?) :roll: ...while others suggested that I make some radical modifications to my computer(actions of which,should only be done with a pro level of computer knowledge)..which is something I would not dream of doing,just to accommodate a poorly programmed DAW.
Aside from the 3rd party VST issue,the video tracks caused just as much trouble and the meager selection of supported video formats were pathetic.
Logic dictates,that if video(alongside audio was DAW & computer friendly),then every developer would include this feature,no?
I did think though,that Acoustica's concepts and generous amounts of tutorials videos were fantastic,but even if I had found a way to make Mixcrap 6 run properly,why would anyone be required to work so hard,just to make it function without crashing every 90 seconds??
It's been my experience,that either poorly programmed DAW's and/or plug-in's,cause crashing,rather than the lack of computer optimization(and yet,every avid Mixcrap fan,claims it's the latter).
I mean...when plug-in's like Kontakt and Alchemy are causing a DAW to crash,it's evident that Mixcrap is the cause...though no Mixcrap fan-boy wants to admit it.
Perhaps I am mistaken,but it seems to me,that the people who claim Mixcrap is a solid program,are a small group of guitar players that for the most part,only use the included VST's and this is why they have success with Mixcrap.
I have no reason to doubt,that anyone like me,who primarily uses VST's to make music,will have a world of problems with Mixcrap 6.

Now...onto the main topic at hand....Mixcraft 7.I must admit,that Mixcraft 7 does look somewhat promising,as Acoustica is adding commercial hardware support,improved VST instruments and if I interpreted their YT video correctly,Mixcraft 7 will have a built in bit bridge(as yes,Mixcraft will finally have a 64 bit version).

As things are currently in my studio,I am very happy with using my Cyberlink PowerDirector 12(but this means creating only audio renderings with a tempo of 120bpm's,to make video editing simple and efficient)....so...if Mixcraft's video end of things,is improved,this will be a nice bonus.
I mean...if I can use Mixcraft 7 for 32 and 64 bit VST's AND video,this will be the perfect Swiss army knife of DAW's(but for this to actually happen,with a DAW that is a small fraction of the price of something like Pro Tools 11...it's painfully obvious,that this is extremely unlikely and to even speak of it as a possibility,seems insane to do so).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJeC4qgNs7U

I have never used mixcraft. I would say though, that if you were happy spending the money on things like Kontakt and Alchemy, you should have first spent the money on a good DAW, and I would not expect a budget DAW to be anything other than a budget DAW.

If however you didn't spend any money on Kontakt and Alchemy, then that might actually be the source of your crashing issues...

there are other budget DAWs that can work with video as well, I'm sure someone will come in here shortly to tell you all about Reaper.

AlesisVi61 wrote:Since my debacles with Mixcrap 6,I discarded my copy of it and never regretted doing so.Ironically enough,their is an extremely small but loyal cult following of this program(all of whom claim that Mixcrap 6 is a rock solid DAW).
Didn't you also have a big problem with installing Kontakt (or was it Komplete) ?

Would be intersting to know which kind of software you get to work. And maybe you should stick to what is working for you.

Strange, I have Mixcraft 6 and it hardly ever crashes despite using mostly ancient SynthEdit plugins. It is very solid on my computer, much more so than Mulab for instance, which doesn't seem to like a lot of my plugins. I have basically given up on Mulab for the time being. It is really odd what you say because Mixcraft seems much more compatible and forgiving when it comes to less than perfect plugins.
I only have three complaints with Mixcraft: 1) that it resets all plugins before mixing down, 2) that there is no fxp patch manager in the vst windows, and 3) that one can't use separate step sequencer or arp plugins in a rack in order to play synth plugins.
I hope they will change all that.

Numanoid wrote:
AlesisVi61 wrote:Since my debacles with Mixcrap 6,I discarded my copy of it and never regretted doing so.Ironically enough,their is an extremely small but loyal cult following of this program(all of whom claim that Mixcrap 6 is a rock solid DAW).
Didn't you also have a big problem with installing Kontakt (or was it Komplete) ?

Would be intersting to know which kind of software you get to work. And maybe you should stick to what is working for you.
The version of Kontakt that I had installed into my Mixcraft 6,was a bass VST from Big Fish Audio(with the help of a very well informed person from BFA).
Pretty inconsequential and irrelevant to bring up Kontakt in the context you did it in,because Alchemy gave me the same problem in Mixcraft.

The point was,is that both of these plug-in's should not have crashed Mixcraft,if Mixcraft was as stable as say,Studio One,for example.

Hi

What kind of contact have you had with the developer in relation to your 'crashes'?

Crashes/bugs which can be replicated by a developer are likely to be looked at - although I can imagine that if such issues are rare a developer might not pursue them.

If you still hanker after Mixcraft then why not get involved - the video stated that they want people to get on board with beta testing - you can then feedback any issues you have to them - they seem to want to make the app stable.

My experience of PC's is that there are so many variables - it is a wonder ANYTHING works on them (I am a PC user of 20 years BTW!)

I have the V6 demo on my Internet PC and quite like it.

AlesisVi61 wrote:The point was,is that both of these plug-in's should not have crashed Mixcraft,if Mixcraft was as stable as say,Studio One,for example.
Why don't you use Studio One then, if that is stable for you?

I like those guys. The used their skills and carved a nice niche in the market for themselves and aren't trying to win the daw war or "beat PT", they're just making a nice affordable product that some probably won't like. Nice product. v7 looks nicer.

I don't know those guys backgrounds but that seems like a really good use of a computer science degree, instead of sitting in a cubicle somewhere like a corporate zombie, go make a nice product and be your own boss. :tu:

The video is kinda like "Revenge of The Nerds." I bet they didn't get laid much in H.S. and I bet the popular guys are mostly probably not doing much of note now. :hihi:

Downloading the v7 beta to give it a spin. :tu:

The video sounds promising, didn't expect them to have so many hardware synths there :o Judging from the video they have added an integrated bridge for 32-bit plugins in 64-bit MC :) The step sequencer also seems nice, similar to the one in Traktion. But I still hope one can use external ones like the CK one as well now.

And they are nice guys, I know them from the support forum. Can't wait to upgrade :)
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So these samplers are new, haven't been included with Mixcraft 6?:

No, don't look familiar. They usually don't make stuff on their own, but buy licenses from other developers such as MemoryMoon, G-Sonique, etc.

While I have quite a few DAWs, I've had Mixcraft longest - going back to version 5. I've successfully used Kontakt in Mixcraft for over three years. Most nearly any 32 bit plug-in that I can think of worked well for me. That said, I have experienced crashes and freezing while using NI Studio Drummer, which is a Kontakt instrument.

The Acoustica team are a great bunch and very fast to support their customers. For the money, Mixcraft is hard to beat.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Numanoid wrote:
AlesisVi61 wrote:The point was,is that both of these plug-in's should not have crashed Mixcraft,if Mixcraft was as stable as say,Studio One,for example.
Why don't you use Studio One then, if that is stable for you?
I do use Studio One and I will always have a use for S1...but if Mixcraft 7 turns out to be as good as it's looking thus far,then it may very well have enormous potential to be the DAW where I can do most of my work in.
By the way,I use Reason 7 as well and will continue to use it no matter what comes along in the future.

I am in no hurry,nor will I be scrambling around to pounce on it when it's released(as I need to know it's reasonably VST-friendly beforehand)...so I will wait to read the feedback from it when it's launched...or better yet,explore the demo version thoroughly first.

original flipper wrote:Hi

What kind of contact have you had with the developer in relation to your 'crashes'?

Crashes/bugs which can be replicated by a developer are likely to be looked at - although I can imagine that if such issues are rare a developer might not pursue them.

If you still hanker after Mixcraft then why not get involved - the video stated that they want people to get on board with beta testing - you can then feedback any issues you have to them - they seem to want to make the app stable.

My experience of PC's is that there are so many variables - it is a wonder ANYTHING works on them (I am a PC user of 20 years BTW!)

I have the V6 demo on my Internet PC and quite like it.
Well...they always ask for people to send them crash logs(which I tried to do,several times)..but the program I had on my PC at the time,would constantly malfunction and I never did get that sorted out(I don't remember the exact nature of the problem)...but my issues were just so compounded,that it was more aggravation that I could take.
I had similar issues with Sonar X2...but between these 2 companies,I would definitely give Mixcraft a second go around,over Cakewalk.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”