Any way to disable kontakt's latency? rewiring from renoise to ableton...

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I am experimenting with renoise rewired into ableton. If I add an instance of kontakt to renoise, it introduces 256 samples of latency (the buffer size in ableton). This causes a known problem in renoise where the first line doesn't get played. There is a workaround of creating a blank measure so that renoise has time to "catch up" but that's fiddly and I just don't want to think about that stuff.

u-he plugins have a setting that allow you to disable latency. I want to know if there's some way to do that with Kontakt as well.

I am picking a handful of plugins to use when rewiring renoise into ableton. I need them to have zero samples of latency for it to work... fortunately I found that u-he link, and I'm hoping someone here knows how to do that with kontakt.

Thanks

It's not a bug, it's a feature :P My understanding is that the Rewire protocol doesn't support reporting latency to the master app, so Renoise compensates by shifting its playback relative to the transport signals from the master if it has any plugins introducing latency. This results in the first line being skipped on playback. I don't know if there's any way to have kontakt operate in a zero latency mode, but if Ableton has any way to manually set the delay for a Rewired app, you can turn off this behavior in Renoise by going to preferences -> audio and unchecking "Automatically compensate latencies." I've done this using FL Studio as the Rewire master (it's pretty easy there since you can route all audio from Renoise through a bus and set delay compensation for the bus). With this setting turned off, the first line won't skip. The downside is that you need to keep updating the compensation value in the master every time the net latency in Renoise changes or else its playback won't sync up properly. Renoise at least reports the current net latency (under the "Automatically compensate latencies" button), though, so that's helpful. I realize this isn't really the answer you're looking for, but maybe it will be helpful :)

edit: I just had an idea. I'm almost positive that the net latency in Renoise is determined solely by the plugin introducing the most latency. What if you were to use something like this in Renoise to introduce more latency than any plugin you might want to use? Then, you could just set compensation in the master to make up for that, and you'd never have to update it.

Hey, yeah, I understand generally what is going on... and as mentioned, I've read about the workarounds and simply put: I don't want to mess with them. That's why I'm selecting only plugins that don't introduce latency (although I'm sure I'll get a surprise somewhere when I twist a knob and bam - latency!). I would really like for kontakt to be one of those plugins... but if not, I'll survive.

So, fingers crossed that Kontakt has a zero-latency mode I can enable :)

Ah, okay. If the above works like I think it should, it would be a setup-and-ignore type of thing (vs. the blank measure workaround you mentioned, which is annoying and only works if you start playback in the blank measure), but if you really just don't want to mess with stuff like that, that's fair. I guess if you're primarily using instruments in Renoise and then routing to Ableton for effects processing, etc. you can probably pull off working with 0 latency in Renoise. I'm no Kontakt expert, though, so I can't really help you there.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”