Question to the Linux gurus - BitWig start in xserver?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Bitwiggers,

i´m more and more interested to use BitWig on Linux. For E-Mail and office and so on ... i would use Windows in the Future.

So... i do not need a Desktop invoriment under a Linux System. I´m not a Linux Guru. I´m new beginning user :) (for years i spent time with Linux e.g i have first steps with EnergyXT on Linux and have tests with Podium sequencer running under wine. But there was no professional Musik software in the past on the market and i close working with Linux :neutral: )

So my question to you is, is there a way that i can configure Linux, that only a xserver starts with BitWig in full sice like a Workstation? I know there are much light weight Desktops like fluxbox.
But why a complet Desktop? I will only start a system, with my Bitwig start´s. I need only something for folder support and networking.
my English is verry rough :) sorry for missunderstandings. my dream under linux is, that i have the complet RAM for bitwig (nothing for a Desktop and i do not need) and the PC have a full power for Bitwig (latency). Like a Linux distro with minimal config a xserver and bitwig :)

This was that windows can´t do ! I have the Desktop with full power and ram all the time if i like or not. But under Linux i hope there where a chance to work without a desktop. Or minimal..minimal :wink: dektop (a windows that opens Bitwig and Foldermanagement like a shell prompt with Midnight Commander, keyboard and mouse support)

Or is there for linux a aviable way to configure my dream :)

Hope you understand me what i meen and if you have ideas or you can tell me that is not impossible
please let me know.

All the best.. lets happy to make music !

polysix

Try by starting just a basic xserver by using "xinit" command. Then try to start Bitwig from the command line. If it works, great. If not, you might just run Fluxbox or another lightweight DE.

In my view, you WILL need some kind of desktop environment, because the window controls in Bitwig appear to be provided by the desktop environment and are not internal.

You could install openbox for example and configure it to automatically start Bitwig Studio. Here is more information.
In short, you should add something like

Code: Select all

/opt/bitwig-studio/bitwig-studio &
to the

~/.config/openbox/autostart
file.

You can avoid the full GNOME or KDE desktop simply by using a window manager such as Fluxbox, Openbox, LXFCE, etc. The WMs are great for conserving resources, definitely recommended for light-weight music systems.

Best,

dp

esq1 wrote: So my question to you is, is there a way that i can configure Linux, that only a xserver starts with BitWig in full sice like a Workstation?
The way the X Server architecture is set up you can, but if you want such things as more than one window (like, those plugins or JACK configuration windows or such stuff as file dialogs ...) you will need something called a "window manager". Otherwise you won't even have window decorations (like those title bars or close/minimize/maximize buttons) and will even have problems changing the input focus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_manager
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... w_managers

If you want one really basic one that works a bit like windows you could use the Motif Window Manager (mwm). It's really old and (depending on your distribution) you need to install lesstif and or openmotif. Its a bit library baggage, but compared to a full-blown KDE or Gnome desktop its next to nothing.

Write a custom .xinitrc in your home and use "startx" after logging in on your text console. Example:

xrdb  -load  $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot  -solid  gray  &
Bitwig &
exec mwm

StudioDave wrote:You can avoid the full GNOME or KDE desktop simply by using a window manager such as Fluxbox, Openbox, LXFCE, etc. The WMs are great for conserving resources, definitely recommended for light-weight music systems.

Best,

dp
Is that working for you dave?
I tried it several times with fluxbox, but i'm not able to open windows, like ex. the preference window in bitwig.
I have not a clue with this happens. i stuck with gnome3(wich i like) but prefer also minimal UI to give bitwig all the resources.

cajmere wrote:
StudioDave wrote:You can avoid the full GNOME or KDE desktop simply by using a window manager such as Fluxbox, Openbox, LXFCE, etc. The WMs are great for conserving resources, definitely recommended for light-weight music systems.

Best,

dp
Is that working for you dave?
I tried it several times with fluxbox, but i'm not able to open windows, like ex. the preference window in bitwig.
I have not a clue with this happens. i stuck with gnome3(wich i like) but prefer also minimal UI to give bitwig all the resources.
It's been a while since I used Fluxbox, before I started using BWS. I'm using Xfce on Fedora 19 on two systems here, neither of which is resource-rich by modern standards. You might give it (Xfce) a go.

FWIW I never had difficulties with either Fluxbox or Openbox. I used Fluxbox for a long while on a Debian system, nicely customized of course. :)

Best,

dp

Return to “Bitwig”