Bitwig for mixtapes - moving onsets without stretching

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One of my main uses for Ableton isn't for making/producing tracks, it's for doing mixtapes... but I'm struggling to find a good workflow in Bitwig for one of the things I do all the time in Ableton.

One of the features of Ableton's audio warping I use the most is moving onsets/transient markers to adjust track tempo/timing without actually stretching the audio... So for example, using the onset/transient markers as "handles" to fit the track to the grid as a way of setting the tempo of the track.

As far as I can tell, there's no way of doing this in Bitwig - once an onset marker is set, manipulating them will always create stretching/warping of the audio.

Is there any scope to allow manipulating onset markers in a way that doesn't create stretching, as Ableton allows?

Not sure if this answers your question as I don't have much knowledge of Ableton. If you select onset from the list on the left then you can move the onset markers without stretching the audio. When stretch is selected then the audio will warp, which appears to be what is happening in your case.

mustgroove wrote: One of the features of Ableton's audio warping I use the most is moving onsets/transient markers to adjust track tempo/timing without actually stretching the audio... So for example, using the onset/transient markers as "handles" to fit the track to the grid as a way of setting the tempo of the track.
If you adjust the tracks timing, you always stretch it, as you can't adjust timing and tempo while keeping the sample static. But i think this is just a bit misleading in your description and not exactly what you mean.
If i understand you right, you're talking about being able to move a stretch marker with the audio following your movement or move the stretch marker along the audio, sliding it back and forth over the waveform to set it exactly to the beginning of a kick drum, for example.
Normal moving is just grabbing and moving it using the mouse, sliding it over the waveform is done by holding the alt-key while moving it.

Cheers,
Dom

OP, are you talking about Live's Master Clip function?
in Live you can take an audio file that varies in tempo, warp it so it plays 'straight', and set the clip to Master in Arranger view. now Live will use the warp markers as a tempo guide and will take over the tempo control. it's a cool feature that not many people seem to know of. and it's not possible in bitwig (yet..?)

Lemme illustrate what I'm trying to do with an animated gif

What I'm doing is:

- hitting warp to enable warping (it's set to Repitch btw)
- hitting play to listen to the clip play back, so I can manually count beats to see which transient belongs to which beat of the bar
- dragging the transient at the start of bar 2 in the clip to match up to bar 2 on the grid
- skipping forward in the track to make a minor correction to a beat that's slightly off the grid... I move the transient marker (which was slightly incorrectly placed), then I use it as a handle to drag the transient to the grid.

I'm using transient markers as handles to allign the beat to the grid, but I'm not *stretching* anything - transient markers are just handles to let me get the clip timing as tight as possible.

This is the workflow I can't replicate in Bitwig. Any help would be awesome!

ahhh that's what you meant :)
it's a weird key combo to do it but it works... hold shift-alt-cmd (mac) and click-drag on the waveform - the icon will change to the 'stretch' one. you don't need to click drag an existing onset - just click the visual transient and drag.

Thanks garyboozy will give that a try!

Return to “Bitwig”