Any ideas for SlickEQ and SlickEQ GE default preset?

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR VOS SlickEQ TDR VOS SlickEQ GE

Hi!

We're going to release updated version for SlickEQ and SlickEQ GE. I'm checking for new presets to add (from neighbor topic) and I'm asking myself is everybody happy with default preset? Maybe we need another starting point?
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

I always load new projects with my own starting preset, nothing engaged, German mode, used in mastering just before the final limiter for any last minute shaping, or client requested revisions:

<TDRVOSSlickEQGE lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="74" lowBandShapeParam="Off" lowBandLagParam="Off" midBandGainParam="0.0" midBandFreqParam="2500" midBandShapeParam="Off" highBandGainParam="0.0" highBandFreqParam="15019" highBandShapeParam="Off" eqModelParam="German" eqSatParam="Off" lpBypassParam="On" lpFreqParam="27961" lpModeParam="Steep" hpBypassParam="On" hpFreqParam="24" hpModeParam="Normal" tiltFreqParam="650" tiltValueParam="0.0" tiltBypassParam="On" tiltTypeParam="Normal" outSatModelParam="Linear" outSatDriveParam="0.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="On" midBandBypassParam="On" highBandBypassParam="On" autoGainParam="Off"/>

What will the new features be? Can't believe it could get any better! Or is it jut bug fixes?

Hermetech Mastering wrote:What will the new features be? Can't believe it could get any better! Or is it jut bug fixes?
Nothing really interesting for mastering. I've reworked the whole DSP code and it consumes 1.5 times less CPU now. Also I've added new "Light" mode with almost zero latency and even less CPU usage (more than 2 times than original version). It's all useful for mixing when you've got dozens of instances.

And a few really small bug fixes but they are not worth to be mentioned. :-)

Excellent, looking forward to it! Would be nice to be able to use it as a low latency mix EQ.

Wow, this is some great news, Vlad! Thank you!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

vladg wrote:
Hermetech Mastering wrote:What will the new features be? Can't believe it could get any better! Or is it jut bug fixes?
Nothing really interesting for mastering. I've reworked the whole DSP code and it consumes 1.5 times less CPU now. Also I've added new "Light" mode with almost zero latency and even less CPU usage (more than 2 times than original version). It's all useful for mixing when you've got dozens of instances.

And a few really small bug fixes but they are not worth to be mentioned. :-)
Is it possible to add an even higher quality option as 2ill for those of us who are more interested in quality vs quantity?

It always worries me when I see cpu "optimization" that corners are being cut in places that impact the sound. I can alway build a faster computer, but I can't make a plugin sound better. :D

jrides, SlickEQs default mode is already almost unreasonable (put differently, there's no reason to worry as negative side-effects are already beyond the edge of measurability/audibility).

But I like the idea. Maybe we'll add an "insane" mode to the GE at a later point.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Thank you Greg for the preset, I think it's a good starting point we should consider. We could call it "so fresh and so clean". :)
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

The current default preset makes sense to me : default values for almost every knobs, crystal-clean sound and the 1st of the 5 colors by alphabetical order. Maybe I'd just disable the Tilt filter ?
SlickEQ free/GE are so easy/intuitive to operate I don't really see a reason to change that ?
They already sound amazingly good, but I'd be curious to hear that Insane mode too !
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

jrides wrote:Is it possible to add an even higher quality option as 2ill for those of us who are more interested in quality vs quantity?

It always worries me when I see cpu "optimization" that corners are being cut in places that impact the sound. I can alway build a faster computer, but I can't make a plugin sound better. :D
Please don't worry about the sound. The optimization was about better utilizing CPU cache/pipelines and branch prediction mechanism. The algorithms are still the same.

The plugin operates in double internal precision (64-bit). I performed some experiments with quad internal precision on early development stages but the difference in null tests was about -180 dB so we didn't include this mode. But yes, the idea of "insane" quality mode is very interesting.

nilhartman wrote:SlickEQ free/GE are so easy/intuitive to operate I don't really see a reason to change that ?
I'd like to have linear phase mode too :-)

Oh sorry, I meant "to change the default preset" actually ;)
Genuine question Vlad : SlickEQ can already do super clean so elegantly, what would be the benefits of a linear mode here ?
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

nilhartman wrote:Oh sorry, I meant "to change the default preset" actually ;)
Genuine question Vlad : SlickEQ can already do super clean so elegantly, what would be the benefits of a linear mode here ?
I don't know :-) Linear phase mode should sound different so it's gonna be just another coloration option to choose from.

I'd really like the ability to precisely adjust Q on a laptop, via knobs or at least like many others using right click. Even if they were only displayed via a "USER" curve option or some sort of expert mode button.

For default. Do like the big boys and make a preset that causes immediate euphoria by boosting the bass a couple dB (mmmm warm), and the overall volume by a few db. This will trick the mind and make people want to buy right away. You have to trick users not help them! Otherwise I like the everything at 0 blank slate approach.

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”