Bazille or Dark Zebra?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a very small dilemma.

I own Zebra2 and ACE. Diva I let pass me by because whereas I love the analogue synths (ex Jupiter/Juno 60/106, Yamaha CS40 owner) I can get all I need nowadays out of ACE/Zebra2 and AAS UA V2.0.

I did the U-He customer survey and got my 25% discount which inclines me towards making a purchase (a cunning plan hatched by Urs and his evil crew obviously).

I've looked at Bazille - I've watched the Groove 3 videos (go and check those out by the way - good stuff), also there are some very good videos on MacPro video about ACE and Zebra. No connection here - just a subscriber to those sites.

I've downloaded the demo and had a brief play and sure it does sound awesome - but so far I'm able to
reproduce most of the sounds that I want (emphasise "want" not "could get") out of Bazille using one or more of my other synths (including ACEof course which is a close relative) - I'm a rather traditional synth user - not a sound designer per se!

I also own the NI Komplete package which has rather a few synths covering similar ground in there as well.

So - finally too my question (or perhaps a decision for which I'm seeking confirmation).

Would I do better to spend my hard earned dollars on the Dark Zebra - this interests me from a learning
perspective but I haven't been able to trial) or have I not given Bazille the due work-through it deserves?

I guess I'm looking for some feedback on the value of the Dark Zebra here.

Bazille fans please don't be too hard on me! I am a U-he fan also!

Jason.

Dark Zebra. Because then you can upgrade to Zebra 3 for free.

I mean.... do you REALLY need yet another synth?

Dark Zebra, because the reason anp27 said.

are you really into Modular Synthesis and have tried to make some patches for Bazille? when its easy then i would consider it.
when you are only interested in making patches, you could use the demo version only, there is only a noise burst nothing more.

i would go for Dark Zebra.
Lenovo IdeaPad U330p Win8.1 Pro x64 | Ableton Suite 9.1.5 x32 | Some Synths

+1 for Dark Zebra, my thoughts on this http://rekkerd.org/review-u-he-the-dark ... ard-scarr/
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Bazille all the way!
No doubt.

(ps, actually go for Dark Zebra - not only for the upgrade chance but crucially because you yourself have said that it interests you most. I just wanted to say something different from the other posters above, but I couldn't quite manage it :cry: )

Bazille for its fun factor - you could then watch TDK and try to reproduce those sounds with your 'standard' Zebra... :hihi:

I couldn't imagine not having Bazille. It is that good and that unique. Plus it is wonderfully unexpected. Start pushing it into different areas and sometimes a slight turn of one knob completely changes the sound.

If you like exploring sound and/or have even a bit of interest in analogue modular, then Bazille is a must have.

But in your case, it sounds like you are more interested in TDZ... :-)

OK folks - thanks for all the thoughts. Hmmm - "go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes" :-)

I think on the whole I'll go for the Zebra HZ.

I've got no real need for anything modular beyond ACE (and I understand the limitations compared to Bazille).

Zebra2 is still my goto synth so is appealing to learn more about it.

Cheers,
Jason.

jasonwilden wrote:OK folks - thanks for all the thoughts. Hmmm - "go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes" :-)
I think on the whole I'll go for the Zebra HZ.
I've got no real need for anything modular beyond ACE (and I understand the limitations compared to Bazille).
Zebra2 is still my goto synth so is appealing to learn more about it.

Good decision.
Something I haven't seen mentioned also...
You can pick up Diva secondhand for a good price in the market place if you're patient and quick.
Bazille will probably follow the same pattern (and in fact, has already been showing up for about the same intro price it was release at).
Zebra HZ can only only be sold secondhand together with 2.
Last edited by BBFG# on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good choice. I never regretted getting Zebra2 and Dark Zebra has been in every ambient track I've composed since I got it.

It finally got me to uninstall my Wavestation VST... :-o
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

SyntheticAurality wrote:Good choice. I never regretted getting Zebra2 and Dark Zebra has been in every ambient track I've composed since I got it.

It finally got me to uninstall my Wavestation VST... :-o

Haven't uninstalled mine.
However, the half of my V-SynthGT never gets used for those sounds now as well as my Radias.
Thing is my 'dino-coupon' was granted by sending a picture of the Radias and it really has replaced it completely. And at LEAST 50% of my V-SynthGT. (I still use it for the APS and VP though).
HZ has pretty much wiped out the Mono/Poly too.
But the Wavestation seems to be a nice compliment to it.

OK - the end of the saga (at least for me:-))

I ended up revisiting and being utterly seduced by Diva, so bought her!

I've just discovered the retro synthwave genre which (almost legitimately) lets me revisit my 80s past as a keyboardist and indulge in writing and playing cheesy '80s synth anthems :-) (I ignore the fact that I was actually a punk during the '80s - albeit a punk keyboardist which was slightly unusual).

Cheers,
Jason.

PS: Thanks Urs for the re-tweet of the comment by the synthwave producer - opened up a whole new door for me!

jasonwilden wrote:OK - the end of the saga (at least for me:-))
I ended up revisiting and being utterly seduced by Diva, so bought her!
Congratulations :-)

Welcome to the club! :)

Thanks Guys!

Return to “u-he”