Layered MIDI and Audio recording (+Comping)

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok so for me this can mean two things and both would be awesome to see in Bitwig. Maybe part of it is already there and I'm just not finding it. Anyway, here we go...

1) I record a loop and because I suck at my instrument I need to record it over and over again and I want to keep the old recordings so I can pick take after the recording is done. For Audio, Comping (compositing) the take, which means taking bits and pieces from different takes to create the final take, would be very nice.

2) This only applies to Audio tracks. Record a loop over and over and adding new audio as a new layer on each take.

Are these functions considered for future updates?

+1111
Composer, animator, video producer and web designer
http://www.juhanalehtiniemi.com

Please if you care about this feature like I do submit a feature request as when I have submitted it in a feature request they have stated to me that this is a low priority. They have layered audio editing with multiple tracks. I dont see why they cant make a layered audio editing in one track.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

+1
StudioOne, Sonar, Tracktion do comping really nicely.

Everyone can benefit from this feature once you getvin the habit of using it. Not just for singers and 'real' instrument players.

You could simply go crazy with some different effects and then comp them.
Easyiest way to make glitchy/creative edits :)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:+1

Really awesome example of how this could be used, thank you =)

Most other major DAW's except Ableton have this. If Bitwig had this they would be aspiring for the broadest featured DAW ever built.

I know I would use this for sure!
It would honestly be such a pleasure to record audio with Bigwig, I already do but with comping it'd make things soooo nice
-Tristan
MacBook Pro|MacOS Sierra|Bitwig Studio 2.0
UA Apollo Twin| EVE SC207 Monitors|ATH M50x|Focal Spirt Pro|Komplete 10|Push

A gentle bump to let more people chime in.

+1

+1 Comping (in a Bitwig stylee) would be a nice addition...

+1
Bitwig Certified Trainer

+1, this could be implemented in several ways. They have just to find the bitwig one :\

kda wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:+1

Really awesome example of how this could be used, thank you =)

Most other major DAW's except Ableton have this. If Bitwig had this they would be aspiring for the broadest featured DAW ever built.
BitVoltage has a comping util for AL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udhd-Rx0Qh8

just have to copy it :D
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

+1.

for recording both midi and audio tracks.

Cubase has a stacked recording type, which creates a new track/lane (containing one clip) for each loop iteration. It's nice, as the each version of the clip is vertically aligned....which makes it easy to select/cut/copy the best bits from each take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwHRXkBu_Xg

Something along these lines would be nice,
It might be even possible to leverage whatever folder track system bitwig decides upon.

+1 for comping. Though this should go hand in hand with proper audio crossfading IMO which has yet to come :)
Last edited by Liquinaut on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
This could be your ad!

Yeah comping would be cool. But I just hope it follows the Bitwig way and is simple and immediate if it's a choice between that and uber powerfulness.

Return to “Bitwig”