Bumps or some other 'home' indicator?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope to, one day, build up enough proficiency to play without looking and I realized that some sort of bumps like those typically found on 'f' and 'j' keys could be helpful.

This might not actually be practical since the board can be split pretty arbitrarily. The flexibility of the lights is great, I am just thinking that––down the road––I might use them as a crutch.

How about just applying some stickers where you want the bumps and see if that helps.

That is an alright idea. I certainly have considered that as an option. I don't have one yet so I don't even know how much of an issue this may turn out to be. I was really just wondering if something was implemented/suggested and I missed it.

I find that the ridges between the cells are useful enough as physical indicators, combined with the overall shape of the LinnStrument. This is similar on a guitar, you've got the neck, frets and the general shape of the neck. It's always been sufficient to me to find my way around and rely on muscle memory. So I'm not sure you'll find that home row markings are really needed.
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

This has been my biggest worry with the linnstrument, . Some sort of markers would be nice, but you could possibly get away with some small silicone stickers if they don't move around too much.
Also The silicone overlay is pretty thin and I'm guessing it won't give any haptic feedback or press in very much like a button. I'm just hoping it doesn't feel like playing geosynth on the ipad, as you are kind of in the dark orienting yourself without always keeping your eyes on the screen.
I'm guessing alot of the design decisions away from more individual keys is to do with allowing smooth sliding action, but this could have still been achieved with an overlay over discrete keys. Something classy and durable, especially with the wood body, could be a sheet of thin leather over individual buttons that have more haptic feedback.

just some thoughts, anyways- can't say til you play

Sorry for jumping in late. I've been thinking about tactile rather than visual feedback of note locations from the early days of the design. My preference is to have a small tactile dot in the center of each "C" note. You can do this now by dropping a little dot of superglue onto the center of each "C". I find that dropping such a dot from a toothpick works well for this. The reason I didn't include these dots in current LinnStruments is that I want to wait until LinnStrument owners have general agreement on the row-to-row tuning interval and the starting note in the lower left corner. That said, in future we may produce such new rubber sheets with tactile dots, so current users could buy one and easily swap out their current rubber sheet.

One important thing to note is that while these tactile dots would be merely an enhancement for most, it's a necessity for blind musicians.

Regarding the suggestion about an alternative design with a smooth overlay over discrete keys, that unfortunately wouldn't permit the continuous XYZ control that LinnStrument's sensing system provides. Under the rubber sheet, LinnStrument's sensor is continuous in the X-axis; the rubber squares are merely so you can easily feel where the notes are.

Thank you for the response. Waiting seems reasonable and it is good to know that this issue has not been overlooked.

I don't know where my earlier attempted post when, but I was thinking the bumps are not absolutely necessary for a blind person, since the position on the LinnStrument can be determined by starting at a frame corner and counting grooves. I would have some concern that bumps would cause tracking problems.

I'm thinking of a bump about the size of a braille dot, which would have no effect on the sensing, but you can still feel it.

I'm sure you can make the bumps work. While you are at it, can you make those bumps move with the lights?

Oh yeah. Easy. Hey-- let's patent that. :)

I really like the suggestion from ClifAnd2k of special lighting for middle C. That moves correctly with the various setup options that split the keyboard, transpose octave, transpose pitch in half steps, transpose lights, alter row offset intervals, etc.

To my fingers the grooves between pads on LinnStrument give a much better tactile sense of position than frets on a guitar. It is quite easy to feel the grooves even with a light touch that is below the pressure threshold that would trigger notes to sound.

At the same time, in all of the playing positions I have tried, it is easy to see where your fingers are and where you might want them to be.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”