Steinberg: WORST Product Purchase Experience ever!(Bad case of user error!)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I decided today to finally buy Cubase 7.5! So I go visit their website to buy it online. I happily select the most logical purchase option (Upgrade from Cubase 4/5) since there is no other info whatsoever so I assume that option means it's also for users who don't own Cubase yet but do have a dongle available.

I pay the ~250$ and now after trying to active it I realize that I got screwed! I do after all need a former Cubase version!

Since there is obviously no way to contact Steinberg support in my country (Japan) directly and get a human to respond to my (all too easily trapped into) issue, I'm now a bit panicked about what to do. Basically I need a Cubase 4/5 license but I think it's nowhere being sold anymore.

I cannot ask a Steinberg person what to do or if I can get a license solution for this from them! Very cool, isn't it?!!

What should I do?
“No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.” ~ William Blum

Send them email, they will help you with that. The most probable outcome is that the transaction is cancelled, and you will get refunded. Your mistake was choosing upgrade option without having the previous version, i'm sure they will understand.

* twice i have to email steinberg for support and they always respond.
musisikamar.com

Send them email ... you are funny! Can you tell me where? There is zero email contact info on their site. Not for Japan anyway.
“No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.” ~ William Blum

My Recording Studio http://www.echopark.at

sys2074 wrote: I happily select the most logical purchase option (Upgrade from Cubase 4/5) since there is no other info whatsoever so I assume that option means it's also for users who don't own Cubase yet but do have a dongle available.

I pay the ~250$ and now after trying to active it I realize that I got screwed! I do after all need a former Cubase version!
umm. scratching my head here..
while you should be able to get a refund for getting the wrong product, I dont think Steinberg have done anything wrong here, and the blame lies entirely with you for assuming something like that. an upgrade from 4/5->7 is exactly that...
I dont think its really fair calling out Steinberg for your pretty basic error.
'I got screwed!' = i didnt actually read what it was I was buying. :dog:

sys2074 wrote:So I decided today to finally buy Cubase 7.5! So I go visit their website to buy it online. I happily select the most logical purchase option (Upgrade from Cubase 4/5) since there is no other info whatsoever so I assume that option means it's also for users who don't own Cubase yet but do have a dongle available.

Since there is obviously no way to contact Steinberg support in my country (Japan) directly and get a human to respond to my (all too easily trapped into) issue, I'm now a bit panicked about what to do. Basically I need a Cubase 4/5 license but I think it's nowhere being sold anymore.

I cannot ask a Steinberg person what to do or if I can get a license solution for this from them! Very cool, isn't it?!!

What should I do?
If i understand you correctly you wanted to purchase the Cubase upgrade version without owning a previous version. I that correct?

In which way would this be a "logical" choice?

Owning a dongle means nothing concerning the pucrhase also as the eLicenser dongle is very cheap (around 20 €) compared to the price of the full Cubase and it could also hold multiple licenses which makes it even cheaper for each software you use on the dongle.

PS:
For contacting support you usually have to create a "MySteinberg" account:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/mysteinberg/

When logged in you should be able to send support requests.

With that account in combination with the eLicenser software you could also create a backup of your Steinberg licenses (if e.g. the dongle breaks, works only for Steinberg products).
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

It's hardly fair to give Steinberg a serve because you bought an upgrade for a product you didn't own. You do know what an upgrade is, right? The logical conclusion , I would have thought, is that if they don't have the full product for sale as a download, it's because it is not a download product.

You might also try

MI products & Nuendo:
Yamaha Music Japan Co,Ltd to find a contact in Japan.

sys2074 wrote:Send them email ... you are funny! Can you tell me where? There is zero email contact info on their site. Not for Japan anyway.
No, you're the funny man. You don't own any previous license and yet you choose the upgrade option.

You can also sign up for steinberg account and send them msg from your user account section. You really need to read more on the website, instead of blaming steinberg for your own mistake.

They even got faq section that specifically told you how to cancel your order.

https://shop.steinberg.net/cgi-bin/pages/rnfaq/ml=EN
Last edited by xamido on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
musisikamar.com

In todays world of convenient online purchases when you go and want to buy a software it's not all to far fetched to assume that the lowest upgrade option will work IF there is no further detail telling that it's not the case! They could at least place a note next to it saying: You need a valid Cubase 4/5 license for this!

Admittedly I was a bit in a hurry when I purchased this. But what riles me up the most is that they don't provide any contact info on their support site AT ALL to reach a human.

How easy is it to step into this issue now?!! A few clicks and you are screwed because they are skimpy with putting a warning next to it!

I've contact the email now. Thanks echopark!

xamido wrote: You can also sign up for steinberg account and send them msg from your user account section.
No! I cannot! In EU/US maybe but obviously not here.

sys2074 wrote:They could at least place a note next to it saying: You need a valid Cubase 4/5 license for this!
Man it says "upgrade from Cubase 4/5". How many ways can this possibly be interpreted? :shrug:

I'm sure you'll work it out with Steinberg. Despite what all the hippy propaganda tells us, big corporations are not evil... They're generally very accommodating if one contacts them politely.

Can't you email with the address provided above.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

sys2074 wrote:
xamido wrote: You can also sign up for steinberg account and send them msg from your user account section.
You sure? I even open the web just for you. :roll:

https://www.steinberg.net/jp/mysteinberg.html
musisikamar.com

Mushy Mushy wrote:
sys2074 wrote:They could at least place a note next to it saying: You need a valid Cubase 4/5 license for this!
Man it says "upgrade from Cubase 4/5". How many ways can this possibly be interpreted? :shrug:

[insert overused facepalm pic here]

xamido wrote:
sys2074 wrote:
You sure? I even open the web just for you. :roll:

https://www.steinberg.net/jp/mysteinberg.html
Yup, searched the section up and down. There's no way to contact by email unless you're in the countries listed on one of the pages.

Either way, I contacted the email above.

Just why don't they provide a friggin' purchase FULL version option on their site??!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”