How can you create gospel-inspired backing vocals?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

May I ask this question?

If you want to create a gospel choir on your computer, how many ways are there to do it, apart from hiring a real choir?

Are there a samples library or a software that can do this?

Thank you

I dont know of any really good ones. Omnisphere and Sampletank 3 has some stuff in it. Nothing overly impressive or useeable.

An OTB alternative which isnt overly expensive.

If you have a local college or something with a young adult choir and about $40 or or so bucks. Grab 1 or 2 guys and 3 girls and take them out for pizza. Bring tuem in the studio for an hour or less to do a few takes. Use you skillset to make it sound lie a bigger group. I suggest the reverse order though. Pizza last. Tenor alto soprano is what id look for.

Realistically you can't - gospel is not about paint by numbers, it's about singing with a lot of feeling.

Get real singers (and good ones!) if you can.

Spectrasonics Heart of africa and sampletank 3 have ethnic/african/gospel choirs. But as stated by robojam it will be a bit static. Good for chords , but for lead lines you'll probably have to search your city for a gospel band or something.

I'd look for a real gospel choir, doesn't have to be the world's most famous, there are surely some local church choirs around you...if you have enough money for an expensive sample library, better spend it to a real choir - they'll be happy about a paid session...

Going in a church along the Mississippi (Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama and blablablabla)... Near the "Muddy Waters", enter into the church (I can't!), there's the right "People" that certain can help You..! :hihi:

PS: Oh, don't forgive a laptop with a good DAW, a good converter, 2 matched condenser mics an a good 2 channels preamp!

Serious: consider exist also the human factor (vocalist\singers, not only the DAWs etc etc), I (for example) often consult with my Senegalese neighbors about the music of their country, the artists etc etc...

Return to “Production Techniques”